Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 02:06 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,660 posts, read 57,778,624 times

Advertisements

tolls are a one way trip to add more fluff to Government agencies, more jobs / overhead / rules / committees... (Similar to CARB)

Much better and quicker results could be implemented tomorrow or within 6 months that would significantly incentivize conservation. Thus within a yr we would achieve what CARB attempts to promise in 20 yrs. (similar issue with tolls)

It is very EZ to get cars off the road, and Portlanders would be keen on the results.

Most toll ways are very beneficial to private administrators. The government entity gets a few peanuts, and consumers get raped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 05:20 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,646,562 times
Default Toll Roads are not evil in and of themselves

After a lifetime of driving on "freeways", I abhorred the idea of paying to drive on a road. Toll roads are in fact great when implemented correctly.

Tolling existing roads in Oregon for nothing more than generating revenue is cause for alarm.

Just for giggles here.
Harris county (Houston area) added an outer loop. Texas 99 is mostly tolled. It isn't the only way from north to south, it is the fastest. The main north/south freeways are 45 and 59(69). The toll road has moderate traffic and moves well in all areas and hours I've driven it. 45 and 59 are pretty horrible during prime time. Paying for the premium of time savings is a bargain for some. Tolls are collected via RFID tags, I have 2 vehicles attached to my account no fuss at all to get on a toll road here. I have a choice to drive 45/59 for free or pay for 99.

If Oregon would ever consider a tolled west side bypass it would relieve a lot of pressure on the bit of I-5 that rolls through Portland.

20 years ago I would have said no way yer nuts... now it might be time to consider it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon