Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 11:07 AM

20 posts, read 15,164 times

Advertisements

I traveled to Eugene a few years back, and fell in love. I am from Corona California, currently in Long Beach California. And work at Disneyland. Have been for 8 years.

My mom recently fell into heart problems, and i live with my boyfriend of 6 years. She was near retirement age, so she took an early retirement, and we are wanting to move out of this hellish state!

The house we have in Corona should sell for about 400,000, and are wanting to pack up and move.

The three of us absolutely HATE the California life style, and we are all more laid back and looking for a more, you know, not so busy full of snotty people kind of place to settle.

My boyfriend and I don't have a degree in anything, but that might change when we move up there. I'm 33 and he is 40.

We were thinking to sell the house, move up there where we can have kids, and my mom can live her retirement in a nice peaceful environment.

My mom came from Kiwannee Illinoise and had a grandmother who lived in Oregon.

I'm the only native Californian in my family, and I WANT OUT, haha! I just hate it so much here, it's not where I belong.

Any advice on the city? Jobs? Atmosphere?

-Kate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 03:56 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,067,543 times
You waited too long. Oregon is now chock full of California people who have been very bust changing Oregon into California, only more so.

Maybe look at Austin Texas.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:54 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,573,451 times
You really need to focus on employment. Consider the work/skills you have at your Disneyland job. How might they transfer out of that environment? Likewise with your significant other. The problem with Eugene is that many students and recent graduates want to continue to live and work there. The employment competition can be fierce.

Healthcare around Eugene is fine, should meet your Mother's needs. That said if she needs complicated cardiac treatment she should come to Portland.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:04 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,446,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
You really need to focus on employment. Consider the work/skills you have at your Disneyland job. How might they transfer out of that environment? Likewise with your significant other. The problem with Eugene is that many students and recent graduates want to continue to live and work there. The employment competition can be fierce.

Healthcare around Eugene is fine, should meet your Mother's needs. That said if she needs complicated cardiac treatment she should come to Portland.
I agree with this. You need to think about your transfer of skills. What does your boyfriend do?

Old 03-02-2017, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I agree with this. You need to think about your transfer of skills. What does your boyfriend do?
We both work in Disneyland Security. Our travel daily because of traffic is about 40 minutes when we onl live about 15 miles away

Old 03-02-2017, 01:26 AM

Well, 7 years in attractions for me, 9 for him...and both security for 1 year. Security as in parks, hotels, security gates, so on...

Old 03-02-2017, 09:47 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,573,451 times
You might take a look at jobs at the U of Oregon, even Oregon State. I don't recall seeing security staff at parks, hotels and we don't have gated communities. NIKE has a security staff at their headquarters in Beaverton and they do like former Disney employees.

Have you considered becoming a police person?

Old 03-02-2017, 10:36 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,088,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katehasfangs View Post
Well, 7 years in attractions for me, 9 for him...and both security for 1 year. Security as in parks, hotels, security gates, so on...
There are some jobs for security in Eugene. Make sure you have the jobs lined up before you move. Security jobs in Eugene are dead-end minimum wage jobs. You will never make much more than minimum wage doing it. Most people do security work, until they get fedup with it, and quit. Often they move some place else to get a better job. Oregon State University and Lane Transit District might be your best bets for jobs.

It would probably be a good idea to take the Oregon DPSST Unarmed Security Course, before you apply.

OREGON DPSST UNARMED SECURITY COURSE

Last edited by Cloudy Dayz; 03-02-2017 at 10:52 AM..

Old 03-02-2017, 10:48 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
OP, you might qualify for something like this. Pretty sure it's more than minimum wage, and while I have no experience working for this company, it's got a good reputation as an employer and provides decent enough benefits for this day and age.

https://eugene.craigslist.org/sec/6025360220.html

Cloudy, Oregon State University is in Corvallis, not in Eugene.

Anyway, I'd look at both the University of Oregon and Lane Community College for campus safety positions. I also would investigate these jobs for myself before I took someone's word on the internet that they only pay minimum wage.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:59 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,088,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
OP, you might qualify for something like this. Pretty sure it's more than minimum wage, and while I have no experience working for this company, it's got a good reputation as an employer and provides decent enough benefits for this day and age.

https://eugene.craigslist.org/sec/6025360220.html

Cloudy, Oregon State University is in Corvallis, not in Eugene.

Anyway, I'd look at both the University of Oregon and Lane Community College for campus safety positions. I also would investigate these jobs for myself before I took someone's word on the internet that they only pay minimum wage.
Thanks I meant the University of Oregon. I have talked to a lot of security guards and most are not happy with the pay. Often their contracts end, and it can take time to find another job. I don't think they tend to last in the job, but that can be a plus. Since the jobs open up often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon