Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 03:47 PM

198 posts, read 344,261 times

Advertisements

So, here I am in this supposedly "Mediterranean climate" area with 290 days of sunshine and it's been either snowing or raining since November. The locals are weary, too, and tell me this is a weird one. Looking at the extended forecast, there's maybe one partly sunny day in sight. Otherwise, it's rain or rain/snow.

What's going on? What could this mean for summer? (Since it looks like we won't really have a Spring.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 03:55 PM

97 posts, read 123,804 times
I've lived in the Portland area all my life, and It's been quite a few years since I've seen a more miserable winter than this year. 290 days of sunshine? Maybe in Central/and or So Oregon, but surely not in PDX, although I guess if they are counting a 5 minute sun peek a boo maybe?

But my boss lives in Southern Cali, and complains about how wet it's been this winter, so it's not just limited to the NW I guess this season. My convertible will be staying "top up" for many more months at this rate.

Florida here I come soon!!!!! I'll miss Oregon and it's natural beauty, but I need more warmth and sun (and no state income tax either). lol

Old 03-07-2017, 04:06 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceloveandjulie View Post
So, here I am in this supposedly "Mediterranean climate" area with 290 days of sunshine and it's been either snowing or raining since November. The locals are weary, too, and tell me this is a weird one. Looking at the extended forecast, there's maybe one partly sunny day in sight. Otherwise, it's rain or rain/snow.

What's going on? What could this mean for summer? (Since it looks like we won't really have a Spring.)
The salmon and other fish need the snowpack desperately. And if this summer ends up being less hot and dry than the last few, maybe fire season won't be so intense.

Old 03-07-2017, 04:45 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
This is completely normal. The PDO is just moving into a cool phase.

Pacific Decadal Oscillation (PDO)

Seasons in Oregon follow the calendar by about a month, so you can expect spring to arrive sometime in mid-April. This year, as every year, it will stop raining on the 4th of July and won't rain again until the State Fair opens.

Old 03-07-2017, 04:59 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
You never know what Mother Nature has planned, year to year. This winter there has been an unusually high amount of snow & rain. Last winter it only snowed once here in southwest Oregon. The previous winter it didn't snow at all.

Last week i went in to Grants Pass for groceries, it was 60 & sunny.

Here on the mountain at 2000', many afternoons i've gotten some sunshine during this winter.

Hang in there, Julie. It will get nicer.

The forests, wildlife, wild flowers, & waterways need the rain, to have a more pleasant summer. The water is needed for fire prevention, & fish spawning.

http://web.thedailycourier.com/web_cam_2/

Old 03-07-2017, 05:29 PM

679 posts, read 877,108 times
What's going on? Have you heard of climate change, Julie dear? We aren't the only ones with crazy weather. Wildfires in Florida during the wet season, extreme drought followed by torrential rains in Southern California, tornados in February in the Midwest, 100 year storms in back to back years everywhere.....That's what's going on. ✌

Last edited by Tulippsy; 03-07-2017 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: Added more examples

Old 03-07-2017, 05:58 PM

5,948 posts, read 2,870,440 times
Heck seventy years ago,when I was born ,my mom called it weather.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:59 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceloveandjulie View Post
So, here I am in this supposedly "Mediterranean climate" area with 290 days of sunshine
Well, first off, you don't have "290 days of sun" - nowhere in Oregon does. Both the Klamath Falls and Bend Chambers of Commerce like to claim 300 days of sun, but Klamath Falls is around 220 and Bend is around 160 (to Portland/Willamette Valley's 140-148 days and Medford's 185). I think Lakeview and Burns tie for the sunniest places in Oregon.

I don't think this is part of the PDO yet, just a weird subset of the El Nino/La Nina variation. I read a lot of technical weather blogs and they are all convinced the the "atmospheric river" (Pineapple Express) weather we have been seeing has to do with some really odd sea levels temps at the equator. There is also a school of thought that links it with the extreme loss of Arctic ice. Eh, we'll see.

We could just as easily go right back to drought after a wet winter/spring. For Medford, anyway, this is the 6th wettest water year on record, 22" of rain since the Oct 1 start of the water year when we are normally at 12" this time of year. Last year we'd already had a week of temps in the lows 70s by now.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:32 PM

861 posts, read 1,061,614 times
Last year, it was predicted to be an unusually cool and wet winter.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:42 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Sorry, newcomers. This is very typical Oregon weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon