Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 06:10 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Getting to the Willamette Valley from Coos Bay is quite a trek. Either you drive north on the coast to Florence and head inland to Eugene or you drive inland to Sutherlin, which still leaves you an hour south of Eugene.

Of course, inland from Newport drops you in Corvallis, which is not renowned for its shopping.
I drive 101 north to Reedsport, 38 east to Drain, I-5 north to Eugene. It takes about two hours. It takes an extra hour and a half or two hours to get to Portland.

Newport is within two and a half hours of Portland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 10:36 PM

17 posts, read 43,039 times
The most shopping I do is grocery, the occasional trip to Walmart, and thrift shopping. I usually don't venture far from home, and when I do I'd rather spend a day hiking or a weekend camping than most anything. Though I do think I may invest in a Costco or similar membership for a monthly stock up trip.

Thanks for all the info, it really does help. At least neither is getting overwhelmingly negative reviews, that's a plus.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:37 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenwitch420 View Post
The most shopping I do is grocery, the occasional trip to Walmart, and thrift shopping. I usually don't venture far from home, and when I do I'd rather spend a day hiking or a weekend camping than most anything. Though I do think I may invest in a Costco or similar membership for a monthly stock up trip.

Thanks for all the info, it really does help. At least neither is getting overwhelmingly negative reviews, that's a plus.
Both Coos Bay and Newport have Walmart, supermarkets, and a few thrift stores. I believe Eugene is the closest Costco.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:40 AM

861 posts, read 1,062,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Both Coos Bay and Newport have Walmart, supermarkets, and a few thrift stores. I believe Eugene is the closest Costco.
Albany Costco is the closest to Newport.

Last edited by wolfdog; 03-23-2017 at 12:42 AM.. Reason: clarity

Old 03-24-2017, 02:39 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Bi-mart has several stores on the coast. From Coos Bay, the closest Costco would be Roseburg. I re-up my membership any time I need hearing aids or glasses, but other than that I don't shop there.

Old 03-24-2017, 03:13 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
I get most of my nonperishables sent Amazon Prime at my place in Alaska and plan on doing the same at my place in Oregon.

Old 03-24-2017, 06:27 PM

5,442 posts, read 7,737,640 times
I would chose Newport over Coos Bay in a heartbeat.

Newport actually has beaches. On the north end there are lots of houses along the beach or within easy walking distance. On the south end the South Beach state park provides very nice beach access and there are the jettys for fishing. I spent many hours fishing off those jettys as a kid. Coos Bay is more of a bay town than a beach town. You can drive around to Horsfall Beach to the north or down to Sunset Bay or Cape Arago beaches to the south but there is no walking or biking beach access from Coos Bay itself. Rather, the waterfront is an industrial bayfront.

Newport is much more accessible to the rest of the state. Much easier to get to Portland for air travel or all your other big city needs. That's probably why Newport feels more prosperous. Because it gets a lot more tourist and weekend visitors flowing the other direction FROM the Portland metro area whereas Coos Bay is just way too far away and has little tourist appeal, not being an actual beach town.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:07 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,873,269 times
Agreed, Newport is better than Coos Bay as a coastal town. However, the coast is easily accessible from the Coos. As I mentioned earlier, there are more industrial jobs in Coos, but both cities don't have a growing job market. If your idea is retirement, both could be good candidates, but Newport would likely add up to the best of the two.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:44 PM

Well I'm only 46, and I'm back in school working on my bachelor's degree. What I possess is 23 years experience in hospital laboratory and there is a nationwide shortage. While jobs in other areas might be scarce, I am in high demand, particularly in the coastal areas apparently. (I've applied from Eugene to Seattle west of the Cascades, these are the 2 showing the most interest.) My son will be a junior in high school and my daughter will be in 2nd grade, so I do want to put down roots for a while.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I get most of my nonperishables sent Amazon Prime at my place in Alaska and plan on doing the same at my place in Oregon.
Does this work well? I have thought about doing this. I have green bean produce delivery here, it's really convenient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon