Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 11:11 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times

Advertisements

The phone prefixes won't even make sense to the younger generations. I only have 1 phone (an emergency landline for when the power goes out) that has the alpha text on the keys.

When I was growing up we lived in so many places that I can remember phone numbers but not the city they went with....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 05:07 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,075,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I believe the switchover in Seattle was right around 1972.
Thanks. Doing some research it seems that some other cities held out even longer. Possibly even into the 1980s. It's kind of weird to me though, because even though I grew up in the 1960s, our phones were converted from a switchboard to direct seven digit dialing in 1962. So I never got to experience dialing letters. But we did ignore the first two digits. I learned our phone number as 8-2654, and dialed it that way even in the early 1970s. Even TV show dialogue of that time always used fictitious phone numbers starting with 555. So I only knew of the letter system through older rerun TV shows and old movies.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:34 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Thanks. Doing some research it seems that some other cities held out even longer. Possibly even into the 1980s. It's kind of weird to me though, because even though I grew up in the 1960s, our phones were converted from a switchboard to direct seven digit dialing in 1962. So I never got to experience dialing letters. But we did ignore the first two digits. I learned our phone number as 8-2654, and dialed it that way even in the early 1970s. Even TV show dialogue of that time always used fictitious phone numbers starting with 555. So I only knew of the letter system through older rerun TV shows and old movies.
I always find it funny I can remember the exchanges (that's what they called the those two letter abbreviations) for the phone numbers my family had from the time a was a very little kid. Not only the exchanges but the entire names. They were written like this. VA-67820. The VA was the abbreviation for VanBuren. They were mostly street names. We had at one time or another the exchanges ED (Edgewater) ES (Esterbrook) BI (Bittersweet) etc.

But don't ask me what I had for breakfast yesterday.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:38 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
Here are the old Seattle prefix letters and their longer definitions.

Seattle Area Telephone Prefixes - Old and New

I tried a search for old Portland prefix letters, but it comes up empty. Perhaps someone can beat me on this search!

Old 03-19-2017, 09:19 AM

15,420 posts, read 9,075,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Here are the old Seattle prefix letters and their longer definitions.

Seattle Area Telephone Prefixes - Old and New

I tried a search for old Portland prefix letters, but it comes up empty. Perhaps someone can beat me on this search!
A lot of them are in this database. Just search for Portland.

Telephone EXchange Name Project
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon