Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 02:32 PM

5 posts, read 7,681 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone! My husband and I both secured employment with Intel in Hillsboro, and are relocating from out of state. We start work this fall. We have a small child who is 3, and a cat. After seeing how high housing costs are, and the fact that houses seem to be priced higher than what they are worth, we decided we wanted to rent for a year and get a feel for the area, and see if housing prices would drop at all. That being said, I have a few questions:

1.) We are looking to rent in Hillsboro to keep commute time low; what are the better apartment complexes in Hillsboro that are in decent school districts if we end up having to rent for a few years?

2.) Are there any high crime areas in Hillsboro we should avoid?

3.) What are the best daycare centers in Hillsboro?

4.) What can we expect to pay in utilities (water, A/C, heat, sewer, trash, etc.)

5.) What is the best cell phone service provider in the area as far as coverage goes?

6.) What is the best/cheapest Internet Service Provider/Cable Provider?

7.) What is the weather really like? I love sunny days and blue skies, husband loves rainy days and gray skies. I read that it's wet and gray from Sept to June, and sunny and warm July and August. Is this accurate? If so, I can live with that as long as I have some sunny summer days to hike and swim.

8.) What is the best/cheapest place to buy groceries in Hillsboro?

9.) How are the farmers markets?

10.) Any recommendations for pediatricians and family practitioners in the Hillsboro (or surrounding) area?

If you think of anything I didn't mention, please feel free to share any input! Thanks fo your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 04:38 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,618,677 times
7) It's not wet and gray from Sept to June. That's a bit hyperbolic. There may be a spattering of rain in Apr-June, but it will be sunny as often as not. Even too sunny/hot so far this April imo.

Internet, well, you're unlikely to have any meaningful choice in the matter and will end up with whatever company services your area/complex. Either Frontier DSL (used to be Verizon) OR Comcast might serve your complex, but unlikely to be both.

If you want "cheap" CenturyLink might serve your complex. So before you worry about which to choose, you should probably start with what's even available. We didn't have any choice at all when we lived there.

9) There are a range of Farmer's Markets, and "how they are" will depend in no small part on where you're comparing to. The one at Orenco Station is decent, but not as big as downtown Beaverton, much less the Portland riverfront market. The one in downtown Hillsboro is nice enough. Believe there's still a good farm-stand all week long at 185th/West Union as well.

But Hillsboro is a pretty sizable chunk of turf (24 sq miles) so what's convenient will really depend on where you are. If you live in Downtown Hillsboro you're probably going to that market. If you live in Tanasbourne more likely you'd go to Orenco or downtown Beaverton, etc.

4) I'd expect monthly water/sewer to be $30-40, trash/recycling will most likely be free (in the rent). Beyond that you're looking at wider variations based on usage and the complex (vinyl windows or metal? insulation? west or east facing? does it even offer A/C?). Note that most complexes won't have A/C or central air. If you aren't using A/C, for the sake of argument I'd expect $50-60/mo Apr-October, and $100-150/mo Nov-Mar depending on the weather.

10) There's good healthcare more or less throughout the metro - who you use will be determined primarily by the participants in your insurance plan. If you're through Kaiser, you'll go to the Evergreen facility, etc.

Old 04-23-2016, 08:56 AM

5 posts, read 7,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
7) It's not wet and gray from Sept to June. That's a bit hyperbolic. There may be a spattering of rain in Apr-June, but it will be sunny as often as not. Even too sunny/hot so far this April imo.

Internet, well, you're unlikely to have any meaningful choice in the matter and will end up with whatever company services your area/complex. Either Frontier DSL (used to be Verizon) OR Comcast might serve your complex, but unlikely to be both.

If you want "cheap" CenturyLink might serve your complex. So before you worry about which to choose, you should probably start with what's even available. We didn't have any choice at all when we lived there.

9) There are a range of Farmer's Markets, and "how they are" will depend in no small part on where you're comparing to. The one at Orenco Station is decent, but not as big as downtown Beaverton, much less the Portland riverfront market. The one in downtown Hillsboro is nice enough. Believe there's still a good farm-stand all week long at 185th/West Union as well.

But Hillsboro is a pretty sizable chunk of turf (24 sq miles) so what's convenient will really depend on where you are. If you live in Downtown Hillsboro you're probably going to that market. If you live in Tanasbourne more likely you'd go to Orenco or downtown Beaverton, etc.

4) I'd expect monthly water/sewer to be $30-40, trash/recycling will most likely be free (in the rent). Beyond that you're looking at wider variations based on usage and the complex (vinyl windows or metal? insulation? west or east facing? does it even offer A/C?). Note that most complexes won't have A/C or central air. If you aren't using A/C, for the sake of argument I'd expect $50-60/mo Apr-October, and $100-150/mo Nov-Mar depending on the weather.

10) There's good healthcare more or less throughout the metro - who you use will be determined primarily by the participants in your insurance plan. If you're through Kaiser, you'll go to the Evergreen facility, etc.
Thanks so much for your reply! I guess what I meant when how are the Farmer's Markets, was which ones seem to be the best priced while maintaining quality produce and goods. We have a lot of markets where I'm at now, and a lot of them are more of "boutique" farmer's markets, if that makes sense, with so-so produce, but really high prices. Also, I'm glad to hear the description of the weather was an exaggeration haha. I love rainy days, but sunny days are my true love haha. Utility prices seem to be reasonably priced, at least compared to where we are now. Thanks again for all the great info!

Old 04-24-2016, 12:52 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
Intel is in the midst of a huge reduction in force impacting, so some say, 2,500 employees in Hillsboro. You really need a tight employment agreement before you move.

Old 04-25-2016, 12:03 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,618,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiking_rain_or_shine_15 View Post
We have a lot of markets where I'm at now, and a lot of them are more of "boutique" farmer's markets, if that makes sense, with so-so produce, but really high prices.
Well, you've asked for these to be deleted, so you may not see the response. Though personally I don't think you've been all that revealing.

Anyway, there are lots of markets - and while in terms of crafts/baked goods/etc. some of them lean toward the boutique I don't see a ton of price variation in produce, and a number of producers frequent multiple markets. Heck, there are a few places I've seen that serve markets as far apart as Portland and Astoria. So around the metro you're going to see more cross-over than difference in what produce is offered and at what price.

The big cost divide is always going to be certified organic vs. everything else (or free-range/organic if talking eggs or meat). Orenco is going to lean very heavily toward the organic, whereas the downtown Hillsboro and Beaverton (being larger markets) are a bit more mixed.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:26 PM

16 posts, read 23,976 times
Default Considering moving back to Oregon to work for Intel

Hi, I have an opportunity to go to work for Intel, which would mean moving back to Oregon (I lived there for 18 years, moved to Las Vegas 9 years ago, and would be REALLY HAPPY to move back.) However, I have not lived in the Hillsboro area before. I am freaking out a little bit looking at housing prices in the Hillsboro area. Rent is at least 25% more than my current house payment! So I would probably want to buy a house as soon as I could. I don't want a house that shares a wall with someone else's house (townhouse or condo). I don't want a fixer upper, no way. I have dogs that need access to a yard. OK so a lot of houses that I've viewed on Zillow, Red Fin, etc., and even new, small homes are looking to be around $300-400k, which seems crazy! I'm used to Las Vegas prices, you get a lot more for the money. Should I be looking to live in a town besides Hillsboro and commute to Intel? I do not have anyone to share the house payment with (and don't want a roommate). I will be making about the same amount of money that I make here in Las Vegas, but $300k is as high as I can go for a house without being really uncomfortable (my current house payment, including everything, is under $1,000!). I would be a manufacturing tech, so I can't live like I'm rolling in dough. I guess my decision to take the job at Intel is going to have to hinge on knowing that I can afford a house there. Any advice for me? Thank you in advance.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:23 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweetie60 View Post
........small homes are looking to be around $300-400k, which seems crazy! I'm used to Las Vegas prices, you get a lot more for the money. .........I will be making about the same amount of money that I make here in Las Vegas, but $300k is as high as I can go for a house .........
I suggest that you stay in Las Vegas where your salary is the same but a house is much cheaper. With your wish list for a house, you aren't going to find much of anything under $300,001 anywhere near Portland.

The difference in price is because more people with ready cash want to move to Portland than want to move to Las Vegas. You're competing to buy with equity immigrants who have a bunch of cash in their pocket from the sale of their house elsewhere.

Old 03-18-2017, 12:23 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,299,955 times
Here is my experience in the Hillsboro/Beaverton/Tigard/Tualatin area...

Once again this year all ready to move into 3 + 2 homes listed anywhere near $300,000 are being bid up $30,000 to $50,000, many are cheaply renovated old homes. They hold open houses on the weekend where you are told to offer your best price by Monday at 10am when they will select "the winner." lol You are also told the seller will make no repairs if inspections turn up issues.

Further out you may find less offers per house, but always multible over list price. If the house is on the market anywhere more than a few days, there's a good reason.

Good luck in your decision.

Last edited by Sherwoody; 03-18-2017 at 12:37 PM..

Old 03-18-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I suggest that you stay in Las Vegas where your salary is the same but a house is much cheaper. With your wish list for a house, you aren't going to find much of anything under $300,001 anywhere near Portland.

The difference in price is because more people with ready cash want to move to Portland than want to move to Las Vegas. You're competing to buy with equity immigrants who have a bunch of cash in their pocket from the sale of their house elsewhere.
Yeah I really want to leave Las Vegas though, I've tried it for over 8 years (came here for a job). It's not the worst place in the world to live, but I love to be outdoors and from May to October it's in the triple digits and just miserable. My work schedule is horrific, but I can't find a comparable salary elsewhere. Nothing to tie me down so I want to go back to Oregon. But 8 years ago, I lived in Albany and had a 2150 sq.ft. custom-built home on 1/4 acre that I sold for $265k, so you can imagine my dismay looking at Hillsboro prices.

Old 03-18-2017, 12:51 PM

(To Sherwoody) Ugh!!!! That's as bad as it was here a few years ago when everything on the market was a short-sale or foreclosure. So investors were falling all over themselves to buy everything up, so a "normal" buyer, who had to obtain a mortgage, was competing with investors who could outbid them -- the "normal" buyer couldn't get a mortgage for anything that was above comp value. So I ended up buying a brand-new house after getting outbid more times than I can count. Thankfully the market has recovered now and values are going up again.

I am not feeling encouraged about taking the job at Intel now, with housing prices being the only limiting factor. Well who knows, I'll talk to them about it and if they offer me a high enough salary maybe I can pull it off. But I've checked on Glassdoor.com and I'm seeing a big pay range for the job I'm after (I guess now I know why a recruiter found me and contacted me, I didn't even actually apply prior to that). I'll be talking to the recruiter again next week...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon