Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2017, 02:47 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,672,636 times

Advertisements

This summer I'll be driving south down to Ochoco forest via highway 19 to see all the fossil beds and painted hills, and I thought I would take a different route back north. Fastest alternate route is to go a little further west and take 97 all the way up, but it looks like 197 isn't much slower. 97 looks like mostly farmland while 197 looks like it might be too forested to see much. What are the differences between the two highways in terms of views or places to stop on the way? Any places of interest on either highway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 03:10 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
ROFL! The trees won't get in the way of the scenery in the Ochocos. Is there an Ochoco forest? I have been through the Ochocos many times and have never seen it. Things do get a little piney south of Bend.

The highway that goes through the John Day Fossil Beds national monument is 26. The John Day river valley is pretty. As you are heading west from John Day into the Sheep Rock unit, the highway goes through a crack that you would swear is the Gates of Mordor. 19 takes off to the visitor center, and past that things get sort of organic. I recommend 6-ply tires, a full tank of gas, and a reserve of drinking water. The last time I was there, getting to the Painted Hills was kind of gravelly, though they may have paved the road by now.

Around Bend there are the lava caves. Wear a jacket and take a LED flashlight good for hours of light if you want to hike the caves. North of Bend on 97 is the Crooked River Gorge and Smith Rock State Park.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:49 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,046,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
ROFL! The trees won't get in the way of the scenery in the Ochocos. Is there an Ochoco forest? I have been through the Ochocos many times and have never seen it. Things do get a little piney south of Bend.
One complete National Forest...including trees.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/ochoco

Old 04-13-2017, 06:42 PM

812 posts, read 1,061,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
One complete National Forest...including trees.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/ochoco

I think stein's pillar is in the Ochocos? Seemed like plenty of trees when I was there recently.

sp1310715viewpoint by Thom I, on Flickr

sp1310710clouds by Thom I, on Flickr

Old 04-13-2017, 10:19 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
In the past there has been some pretty good crappie fishin' at Ochoco Lake......I don't know about now.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...BUoQoioIggEwCg

https://www.google.com/#q=Ochoco+lake,+oregon

Old 04-13-2017, 11:30 PM

240 posts, read 253,919 times
Most of the forests on Hwy 19 are located between Fossil and Service Creek. Once you're on US 26 or in the Fossil Beds, there aren't many dense woodlands except for the section between Mitchell and Prineville, and east of John Day. 197 and 97 aren't heavily forested, either. 97, through Antelope and Shaniko, is worth a trip if you haven't seen it. Just know that the best scenery in the region is in the John Day Valley and in the Fossil Beds, which aren't forested. Elsewhere, the Ochocos aren't really that spectacular, compared to the Cascades or Blue Mountains; they're pretty, but you likely won't be deprived of any breathtaking vistas by the pesky pine trees.

Old 04-14-2017, 12:40 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,672,636 times
My route around the attractions of mid-Oregon are already planned out, and my trip down on 19 is firm, it's just the return trip north that I have left to work out. It's starting to sound like the extra distances in taking 97 or 197 might not be worth it for the different scenery. ProtoStrata:Those old west towns look cool, thanks for pointing them out. I've spotted a waterfall at White River Falls State Park, which might be nice for a short break in driving, plus it might give me a better view of Mt Hood to take those roads (not that I can find one yet using Google streetview) so I'm slightly leaning towards taking 197 now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon