Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 09:33 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,905,385 times

Advertisements

SLO used to be affordable but not sure if that's still true. As a homeowner it's expensive housing but maybe rental market is bette. SLO has wonderful weather and is so beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 12:12 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
SLO used to be affordable but not sure if that's still true. As a homeowner it's expensive housing but maybe rental market is bette. SLO has wonderful weather and is so beautiful.
Median house price is $670,000, so I'd say no. Santa Rosa median price is $500,000, so maybe closer to affordable. The same source lists Portland as $375,000, Eugene as $275,000, Medford as $266,000, Ashland as $420,000.

Old 04-28-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Median house price is $670,000, so I'd say no. Santa Rosa median price is $500,000, so maybe closer to affordable. The same source lists Portland as $375,000, Eugene as $275,000, Medford as $266,000, Ashland as $420,000.
Maybe the OP is cosiderig renting. Thee are areas in Ventura County that would be heaven.

Old 04-29-2017, 12:51 AM

94 posts, read 130,114 times
If we are talking central CA and NorCal I have visited and researched them both. I have friends and family in SLO. Even it was affordable to buy a home in SLO/Venture, which its not, its hard to get work. With the SLO college students there taking most of the jobs because they accept less pay than an experienced worker its very limiting. NorCal has the best weather in my opinion. Lake Tahoe is heaven. Of course there are no jobs and even less decent rentals. Its mostly homes out of my budget, best suited for wealthy retired folks. I love san mateo and the jobs are booming, as is the fierce job compition, with all those highly educated asian folks there, and home prices are insane. If there is a place in CA with great weather and jobs, its just not affordable. If there is a place with great weather and affordable homes, there are no jobs. This lead me to look at OR, whick had less superior weather by my standards, but more afforable homes. As for jobs, minimum wage is high, as is the unemployment rate. Which leads to me also considering CO... lower minimum wage, lower unemployment rate, different weather.

Old 04-29-2017, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellysocal View Post
If we are talking central CA and NorCal I have visited and researched them both. I have friends and family in SLO. Even it was affordable to buy a home in SLO/Venture, which its not, its hard to get work. With the SLO college students there taking most of the jobs because they accept less pay than an experienced worker its very limiting. NorCal has the best weather in my opinion. Lake Tahoe is heaven. Of course there are no jobs and even less decent rentals. Its mostly homes out of my budget, best suited for wealthy retired folks. I love san mateo and the jobs are booming, as is the fierce job compition, with all those highly educated asian folks there, and home prices are insane. If there is a place in CA with great weather and jobs, its just not affordable. If there is a place with great weather and affordable homes, there are no jobs. This lead me to look at OR, whick had less superior weather by my standards, but more afforable homes. As for jobs, minimum wage is high, as is the unemployment rate. Which leads to me also considering CO... lower minimum wage, lower unemployment rate, different weather.
I would consider Denver since you are open to living in Colorado. My concern for you here is the weather. Our weather just isn't so different from WA and I would hate for you to move here and have that realization with no other options to move again.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:31 AM

Obviously Denver weather will be much different from the NorCal weather I love too. The big downside is having no beaches. I love the beach. Which is the appeal of OR. And I swear everytime I see pictures of BC, Canada its gorgeous and sunny. But I would have to assume it would have the same weather as OR / WA. Denver having 300 days of sun without being too warm makes it worth considering...

Old 04-29-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Obviously Denver weather will be much different from the NorCal weather I love too. The big downside is having no beaches. I love the beach. Which is the appeal of OR. And I swear everytime I see pictures of BC, Canada its gorgeous and sunny. But I would have to assume it would have the same weather as OR / WA. Denver having 300 days of sun without being too warm makes it worth considering...
Vancouver, BC is like it is here and though we are about an hour away from the coast here but like most people I know in this area they don't go as often as you would think they would. I like to go to Cannon Beach in the summer because it's generally nice then.

Old 05-02-2017, 04:05 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,534,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrishawke View Post
I think the OP may be happier in Southern Oregon (ie Medford) and/or the Cascadia part of Northern California near the Oregon border. I still consider places like Shasta, Eureka and Humbolt County the Pacific Northwest. It's really much more Mediterranean in climate with significantly less overcast and rainy days, but with much of the same natural beauty.
If you are looking at Southern Oregon, then bypass Medford and look in Ashland. Ashland has elevation and the Winters are colder than Portland, however, it is a great town, has a great Summer and its own ski mountain.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:12 PM

I looked up Ashland Oregon, and it's very beautiful. Does rain much less and have much more sunshine, does get snow. My concerns would be that it's a 4 Hour Dr. to the city ( Portland ), that unemployment rate is very high, and the average age is high so I don't know if I will meet people I can relate to... looks like may be a good place to retire for older people who don't need to work ?

Last edited by Shellysocal; 05-02-2017 at 07:26 PM..

Old 05-02-2017, 09:53 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,867,706 times
Quote:
I looked up Ashland Oregon, and it's very beautiful. Does rain much less and have much more sunshine, does get snow. My concerns would be that it's a 4 Hour Dr. to the city ( Portland ), that unemployment rate is very high, and the average age is high so I don't know if I will meet people I can relate to... looks like may be a good place to retire for older people who don't need to work ?
Or for folks who own their own business.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon