Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2008, 12:34 PM

103 posts, read 523,887 times

Advertisements

I am planning to move to the Winchester Bay area come June. I have looked at the housing stats, Job stats, well almost all the information that I can find on the internet. I'm an artist, that in a year or two would like to start a gallery. I'm 51 years old and have had many jobs, printing, constuction, and now CNC metal lathe. Is work that hard to find? I am willing to take a job for 9/hr (money has never been that great of a concern). Winchester Bay seems realy depressed at this time. That is one of the things that has drawn me there. How hard of a time am I going to have to find CHEAP rent for 2 months before I find a job? What are some thoughts on a gallery inthis area? Does anybody have a good idea on who I should REALLY be talking to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 01:04 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,000,282 times
Winchester Bay has always been depressed, it's a fishing community of about 500 people. As far a work there, thats a good question, I know there are a few galleries in the Reedsport area, I don't know about Winchester Bay. Anyway, Good luck.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:45 PM

I was there a year an a half ago. I took to the comunity. and they took to me. I know that Reedsport is close and so is Coos Bay. I don't need much to live on. Just a job and a place to live, to start.

Old 03-09-2008, 02:50 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,047,056 times
ohhhh boy....
well, let me start by saying I really really like Winchester Bay. I think there are some wonderful people that live there, and IMO, its a really cute little community.
I live south just a bit, in Coos Bay.
I know Ive seen places for rent/sale there before, but I dont keep an eye out for any. You might check either theworldlink.com or southcoastshopper.com one of them might have rentals/jobs in WB. You might seriously concider Reedsport or even Coos Bay for a time until something pops up.
I dont know how a gallery would do. Maybe if it were right on 101, to draw in people as they go by...or during Dune Fest. You might try asking the people that own that wood carving gallery there. They might give some insight....
i know someone just built a bunch of condos that are up for sale right on 101....
anyhow, best of luck in your new adventure and please let us know what you find...
Tiffany

Old 03-09-2008, 05:06 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,236,146 times
If you're only looking for a place to stay for just a few months and you don't have a large family, maybe consider living out of an RV for that time until something comes along that you like. There's an RV Camp at the Winchester Bay Salmon Harbor. Or, live on a boat. Those are some options you might want to consider since Winchester Bay is SO small.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:06 AM

208 posts, read 872,253 times
Question Depressed?

I have GOT to check prices-we love Winchester Bay,our favorite place in Oregon.It has always been very spendy because it is the size of a postage stamp,cannot expand,is right on the ocean with incredible benefits-dune riding,great crabbing dock,good places to eat,and very good docks and harbour.Weather is great there.Are you sure you don't mean Winchester, the inland town by Roseburg?

Old 03-10-2008, 03:34 PM

First I would like to thank tiffelo74 for the southcoastshoper. That might be a big help. I'm moving to Winchester Bay, just me and my cat. I know that the pop is only around 490, but it seems to have so much up-side. I'm really excided to get out of Iowa, and move to the coast. I have traveled down 101 two times. Once with my thumb when I was 17 and once, one and a half years ago. Winchester Bay just grabed me, so did the people. I'm hoping to find some inexpencive place to live when I get there. And start a new life.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:35 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,047,056 times
awwww...thanks! You're very welcome.
I think Seashellys idea of living on a boat is cool! boy but wouldnt that be something to write home about!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon