Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2012, 04:29 AM

55 posts, read 114,835 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody,

After snowboarding in WY and CO we would like to visit oregon, just for the purpose of snowboarding.
Our travelagent advised us, visit the mountains Bachelor and Hood, all that doing by using a 4x4.

Since we are form the Netherlands, we have some questions for you;

-1- Those mountains are not prohibited for snowboarders?
-2- Is it easily traveling between those 2 mountains? (No close down passes or so)
-3- Crowdy, much people at the lift or in the base?
-4- Enough bars and shops?
-5- Any advise at all for visiting Oregon?
Thanks for responding,

Rob

Last edited by Burton_Rob; 01-13-2012 at 04:31 AM.. Reason: PC trouble...sorry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 09:09 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
Welcome to Oregon. First you need to realize that Oregon, especially around the Mountains is much, much sparser in population then Colorado or Wyoming.

As far as I know, all ski area in Oregon are open for Snow Boarders. Mt. Hood has more areas for boarder from reports of friends who ski.

You can easily travel between the two, it's about 100 miles give or take a few. No passes to deal with as you're coming off one mountain, driving directly south, and then up onto the next mountain.

Mt. Hood is going to be more crowded on weekdays, Bachelor less. Weekends and holidays are going to be about the same.

There are few bars or shops at Mt. Hood, although Government Camp is starting to get a lot more. I don't know about Bachelor, but can't imagine it's going to be much better.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:15 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,688,776 times
Oregon doesn't have the resorts like Colorado. We have the ski/snowboard mountain and the lodge, but at least in terms of Mt. Bachelor, there is no "lodging" (ie overnight accommodations) directly at the mountain. However, Bend and Sunriver are within 25-30 minutes drive and where most people stay when visiting the mountain. As younger guys, I'd opt to stay in Bend, as Sunriver is more for families and retirees. There are plenty of great places to stay in Bend. Look into vacation rental homes for the 4 of you. Also, Bend has tons of great breweries for apres ski, as well as great shops downtown and along Galveston Ave.

In terms of travel, as hamellr stated, it shouldn't be a problem, although there have been a few times where travel from Government Camp to Madras (a town north of Bend) was snowpacked and very slow going. You'll want to make sure your rental car has chains, as they are required to carry in Oregon during the winter. I rarely have had to use them, but if you are flying into Portland, you'll have to travel up the pass (don't remember the name) to Mt. Hood.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:45 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,278,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
Oregon doesn't have the resorts like Colorado. We have the ski/snowboard mountain and the lodge, but at least in terms of Mt. Bachelor, there is no "lodging" (ie overnight accommodations) directly at the mountain. However, Bend and Sunriver are within 25-30 minutes drive and where most people stay when visiting the mountain. As younger guys, I'd opt to stay in Bend, as Sunriver is more for families and retirees. There are plenty of great places to stay in Bend. Look into vacation rental homes for the 4 of you. Also, Bend has tons of great breweries for apres ski, as well as great shops downtown and along Galveston Ave.

In terms of travel, as hamellr stated, it shouldn't be a problem, although there have been a few times where travel from Government Camp to Madras (a town north of Bend) was snowpacked and very slow going. You'll want to make sure your rental car has chains, as they are required to carry in Oregon during the winter. I rarely have had to use them, but if you are flying into Portland, you'll have to travel up the pass (don't remember the name) to Mt. Hood.
What Delta said - Oregon, for a ton of reasons, doesn't have resorts right up next to the mountains and lifts (personally, I much prefer this). I'll just reiterate your need to stay in Bend while visiting Mt. Bachelor. 12 (or 13 now?) breweries, a few wineries, a distillery, bars, a downtown, 75k, lots of restaurants and pretty affordable vacation housing if you're looking for a 4 sleep house. It's a great town, overall.

For Mt. Hood, I've heard staying in Hood River is a good option, but I'm not too sure.

For fun, here's an interesting NYT article from 1987 on Mt. Bachelor: SKIING A VOLCANO IN THE DESERT - NYTimes.com

If you're really serious about your skiing (and it sounds like you all are) I'd check out the back country options in and around Bachelor/Bend. We've got 4 mountains besides Bachelor all over 9k (3 of which are over 10k) and a place called Tam Mcarthur Rim that has a yurt system run by these guys: Three Sisters Backcountry Inc. -- Ski Huts near Sisters, OR You can book guided tours with them, or just have em' snow mobile you out to the yurts. Either way. Also, if that sounds a little too rugged there's always Mt. Baliey's cat-skiing operation: Cat Ski Mt Bailey | Oregon's Premiere Backcountry Cat Skiing Operation (I can't vouch for this last option personally, but I've heard great things)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon