Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 05:04 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post

Even though you are technically correct about the 6 mile difference, the route you are so highly excited about is the absolute WORST route to take to Lincoln City from Portland.
Yep. This is why the input of people who have real life familiarity is more valuable than some latter-day Californian armed with an online map and a know-it-all attitude. That route is hellish more often than not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 05:07 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
How about you just go to businesses were you live? Are they supposed to put up rainbow flags, or what?

Old 06-27-2017, 09:52 AM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
Not bragging at all, but I could buy a house in cash if I chose to, but I prefer to rent until I can find the perfect home in whatever community I eventually decide on. I do know that I enjoy clouds and rain over hot, dry sunshine that we have in Southern California (I realize summers are mostly cloudless in Oregon). Also, maybe a bakery business is not the best idea for coastal Oregon. I just like baking.

I'll think about other business options as well, I just need a change right now and I absolutely love the PNW, and how green and beautiful everything is! Thanks for everyone's input.

Also to the OP, sorry if I hijacked your thread, I should have started my own.
I think there is room for a bakery in Seaside. I think Cannon Beach and Astoria already have good ones. Lincoln City doesn't have a good bakery, but it also isn't conducive to walking traffic which I think you need for a business like that. I don't think that city would be a good choice for a bakery.

You don't have to have a food truck. You can have a successful business but it will be hard and it will own you for several years while you build it. Honestly, exceptional food always does well. If you aren't an exceptional baker then it will be harder to do well in a small community.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:07 AM

861 posts, read 1,062,313 times
Then there's the length of Lincoln City, within itself, from Neotsu to Cutler City. 6-7 miles of congestion, nearly year-round.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:19 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,452,132 times
Seaside might be worth exploring!

It's not all spread out like Lincoln City.
Very walkable, lots of people visit year round.

It has lots of small shops, a city center, and 101 doesn't slice through the middle of Seaside like it does Lincoln City.

So if you want to visit Seaside, you might as well park at the big lot close to the center of town and walk around.

From Spring Break to the end of Summer it's 100% packed with tourists and day trippers from Portland, since it's also the closest "vibrant" coastal community to Portland!

BTW, it's possible to take US26 just about all the way from Mt Hood to Seaside (when 26 ends at the coast, you have to turn right on 101).
It's a pretty interesting day drive!

It's the shortest, quickest, easiest, and most direct way to get to the coast from Portland.

The Hood to Coast Run does that every year!
http://hoodtocoastrelay.com/

Cannon Beach might be a tad closer, but it's also much smaller and much more expensive.
It's more of a "high end" tourist village, with lots of art galleries, spendy boutiques, etc.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 06-27-2017 at 11:41 AM..

Old 06-27-2017, 11:27 AM

15,417 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I think there is room for a bakery in Seaside. I think Cannon Beach and Astoria already have good ones. Lincoln City doesn't have a good bakery, but it also isn't conducive to walking traffic which I think you need for a business like that. I don't think that city would be a good choice for a bakery.

You don't have to have a food truck. You can have a successful business but it will be hard and it will own you for several years while you build it. Honestly, exceptional food always does well. If you aren't an exceptional baker then it will be harder to do well in a small community.
Lots of competition in Seaside and Lincoln City

Ocean Bakery Cafe
414 N Prom
Seaside, OR 97138

Beach Day Coffee
7 Broadway St
Seaside, OR 97138

Liberty Coffee
26 Avenue A
Seaside, OR 97138

Marvel Mexican Bakery
2156 NE Hwy 101
Lincoln City, OR 97367

Captain Dan’s Pirate Pastry Shop
5070 SE Hwy 101
Lincoln City, OR 97367

101 Inspirations
1710 NE Hwy 101
Lincoln City, OR 97367

Old 06-28-2017, 06:37 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,642,267 times
It turns out that my sister can't move into our house at this time, and I won't leave it vacant, or rent it out, so I'll be staying in the San Gabriel Valley for now. Thanks for the great ideas though!

Old 07-06-2017, 05:45 PM

114 posts, read 268,236 times
Default Come to Yachats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky802 View Post
Actually what I'm looking for are places to eat and shop that are "progressive". My husband and I would like to spend our money within our community vs. spending it in businesses who support Donny trump. Thanks
Come to Yachats! Plenty of pride and progressive values in the Gem of the Oregon Coast. You WILL see rainbow flags and meet fabulous locals and eat awesome food. But there's no gas station.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:56 PM

15,417 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plainbrowntabby View Post
Come to Yachats! Plenty of pride and progressive values in the Gem of the Oregon Coast. You WILL see rainbow flags and meet fabulous locals and eat awesome food. But there's no gas station.
I have never seen a rainbow flag anywhere in Yachats. The flags must be pretty small.

Old 07-07-2017, 03:47 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,421,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky802 View Post
Hello All;
Anyone out there know of gay friendly restaurants, bars or shops on the central to southern Oregon Coast??
From Newport on down to the California border. Also, looking to find like kind of places in and around Cave Junction.
Thanks
Meaning they don't have any no gays allowed signs on the front door? Why do we still have these questions in 2017?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon