Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2017, 04:00 PM

114 posts, read 268,269 times

Advertisements

Just bought a cheap unimproved lot for part-time science & art pursuits in fascinatingly weird Christmas Valley, close to the little "lake". Why? Desert, birds, rocks, space, fellow oddballs. I currently live in the same sort of tiny town, but on the wet side of the mountains, where i will stay in the summer.

Christmas Valley will be the dry, bright, cold version of where and what i already do. Any of you actually live there? Google earth is fascinating, but I'd like to know what kinds of structures and camps people have built, besides trashed old trailers. I have some of those, but not interested in hauling them over there.

Not interested in standard residential set-ups, more like part-time permaculture that's tweaker-proof. Earth-bermed or partially dug-in, or cement block/stone? Tell me what you know, not what you've heard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 11:48 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Yurts are preferred for temporary. (very expensive to buy, but not so expensive to build)

These are permanent.
Rammed earth is REALLY nice and very pretty (but a lot of work) https://www.google.com/search?q=ramm...w=1410&bih=796

Ratsra / ICF is another good option (but not cheap)

Cement block is about as cheap of a substantial structure you can make, or stucco over framing... we do that for shelters in Mexico (I don't like wood / temporary / bugs / fire)

Shed is OK, and there is a company in Goldendale, WA that makes 'portable' living huts for Alaska / rough environment (i.e. not cheap)

Metal pole building (MW buildings Canby is good for benchmark pricing)
Websteel is another alternative.

hint: look for USED materials / overstock / mis-ordered. I ALWAYS build my homes this way... build a shop and fill it with used / mis-ordered supplies, then build the house to fit the available supplies. (Especially windows and doors and cabinets ... the expensive stuff)

I really like my very inexpensive Bulldozer / Trackloader for building my CHEAP homes... perfect for basements (which I do 100 % of the time, tho most contractors will discourage it)

I helped my kids build 'chalets' as homeschool projects in the Columba Gorge Scenic Area. Very, very nice... very inexpensive. (vaulted ceiling Cabin above daylight basement with passive solar heating) Excellent lighting and view for artists / retirees.

I like Christmas Valley and donate a LOT of items to an annual Fundraising Garage Sale / Auction held there.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:38 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
There is interesting stuff in Christmas Valley: the Dunes and The Lost Forest. Plus next door to Fort Rock. Not to mention the top secret Navy installation that none of us know about.

There are a lot of antelope. It's not unusual to see a small herd of them.

Other than that, there isn't much out there except for lots of sunshine. There used to be a restaurant at the golf course. I don't know if it is still there.

Old 07-25-2017, 02:34 PM

Thanks for the info, Stealth Rabbit! I have been leaning towards concrete block, because of the thermal mass and fireproofness. Will probably throw up a simple wooden shed just to get started, as i get a sense of the feng shui, the people, the track of the sun, prevailing winds (looks like westerlies from the way the dunes lay!)
I always build with used materials whenever possible, have fabricated several unconventional but solid shacks over the years at my home place here in the Coast Range.
Nice to hear someone have something factual to say about CV other than hearsay and gossip. Hoping to go over for a camp-out/looksee next week.

Old 07-26-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
I helped my kids build 'chalets' as homeschool projects in the Columba Gorge Scenic Area. Very, very nice... very inexpensive. (vaulted ceiling Cabin above daylight basement with passive solar heating) Excellent lighting and view for artists / retirees.

I like Christmas Valley and donate a LOT of items to an annual Fundraising Garage Sale / Auction held there.
I'm an artist/writer/musician a scientist and 55 years old, no paycheck job and nothing to "retire" from.
My work pays the bills on my simple life, along with a small stipend from an estate.

I really like your cabin/daylight basement concept - do you have any pictures or plans i might see? my lot is perfectly flat, 80' x 180', covered with sage. of course.
Not interested in typical American-style amenities or use of space. This theoretical micro-cabin is for two adults. No lofts for people. Cabin to be under 200 sq ft, under 10' tall.

Already have a functional solar DC electrical system for lights, computers, radios, am VERY interested in building the cabin with passive solar design.

Sawdust toilet - been doing it for years at current home, know how it works, creates humus and organic soil in a year over here. dries out in the desert, i hear!

Water delivered to dug-in or masonry-sheltered cistern/storage tank - sink & tub greywater saved for watering the Russian Olive ( locally very hardy) trees i will plant. May eventually hook up to city water (available) still contemplating this one. ($1000)

Wood heat - small masonry-jacketed wood stove installation in one corner. (been living with wood-only heat for 20+ years already)
Propane stove/oven (travel-trailer size!) for when i HAVE to cook. hahahaha

Outdoor stone & rock & sand patio with rocket-stove-style firepit. - this gets built FIRST!

ANy High Desert Dwellers who want to chime in with other ideas?

Peace!

Old 07-17-2019, 12:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,394 times
Default Another perspective

A water hookup may not be permitted if a septic tank & leach field isn't yet built. The county may not permit a leach field on any lot less than an acre in size. I found development hurdles were insurmountable on a similar small lot in Christmas Valley.

So, no permanent residence. I was told I could drag an RV onto my small lot and camp there. A nearby RV park offers water and a dump station.

Old 07-17-2019, 01:55 PM

Hi there, OP again - have since visited my lot several times in a self-contained RV. We hired a local to put in a driveway and RV area, have brought some rocks over to make a nice fire-pit and have been slowly clearing dead brush by hand. Have made some friends in town and enhanced the local economy a bit and have used the nice RV dump at the park on the south side of the highway. I still plan to build a tiny writer’s hut on my third acre, but won’t be hooking up to water, electricity or sewer; instead using my RV and solar panels for all the basics. Looking forward to spending more time there, but won’t be a full time resident. I migrate between OR/NV/AZ/CA.

Old 07-17-2019, 03:12 PM

218 posts, read 244,766 times
As far as building anything, you probably should check with Lake Co. Building Department, I'm not sure but I think Klamath Co. was over seeing it for a while. I do know a few people who live there and some actually like it. Fort Rock and Silver Lake are pretty close and small, most people do their major shopping in La Pine or Bend. The defunct military radar tracking station to the East has the possibility of being reused (someday). There was some talk a few years back about moving the Air Guard from Klamath to there but nothing ever happened.

Old 07-28-2019, 11:22 AM

Thanks Johnny Z - definitely will sit down with the building/planning person and sketch out what i want to do and what permits may be required. Have also thought about buying adjacent lots; would see how that could affect a future drainfield placement.
I think the best use for that abandoned radar site would be a huge solar farm. The wiring’s already there to access the grid. In my migrations through the deserts of California & Arizona, i’ve seen many of these. Nice & quiet.

Old 07-29-2019, 05:48 PM

218 posts, read 244,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plainbrowntabby View Post
Thanks Johnny Z - definitely will sit down with the building/planning person and sketch out what i want to do and what permits may be required. Have also thought about buying adjacent lots; would see how that could affect a future drainfield placement.
I think the best use for that abandoned radar site would be a huge solar farm. The wiring’s already there to access the grid. In my migrations through the deserts of California & Arizona, i’ve seen many of these. Nice & quiet.

Yeah, a solar farm would be a great idea, I've seen a few go up in the last few years. Even thought about doing my roof but the initial cost??? it may not be a benefit for several years. Still with the right financing and ETO rebates it could happen. Good luck with project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon