Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 10:53 AM

3,072 posts, read 1,682,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
At least when they're in jail, they're not stealing anything that isn't bolted down.

These are things that legalization supporters do not realize. Property theft and break-ins will increase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 11:08 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
The premise of your argument is that because people still use drugs, old policies were ineffective and thus "failed." That is just poppycock and blather from liberal apologists.

I know several people from my younger days, including relatives, who have shaped up, stopped using and became more responsible members of society because going to jail was not a pleasant experience for them.
That's called growing up. I know several people who have shaped up, stopped using and became more responsible members of society without going to jail, and it didn't cost the taxpayer hundreds of thousands of dollars to get them there.

Old 09-07-2017, 11:28 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Something's going to cost hundreds of thousands of dollars because this opioid thing isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Until you've seen a community that's been destroyed by it, I guess it's easy to look at this issue as if it's about the pot smokers and the college kids with their speed.

Old 09-07-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
These are things that legalization supporters do not realize. Property theft and break-ins will increase.
I used to be fairly pro-legalization until the opioid epidemic combined with already high meth usage trashed my community in Alaska. These Oregonians have seen nothing. Some of them think that legalization would cut down on the stealing -- I don't see how, unless they're also advocating that we just give them their drugs as well.

Old 09-07-2017, 01:28 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307
The war on everything has been a failure.... War on Speeding; War on Bank Robbery; War on Spousal Abuse; War on Child Abuse; War on Texting While Driving..
So we should just "give up and try something else"? Like what?...... Just let everyone do what they want?

No.

The War on Drugs should continue forever. We should never legalize drugs any more than they already are legal. The line needs to be drawn somewhere; I like it where it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FVWinters View Post
So you want to continue doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result?
That's not persistence but insanity.
Read my post.
I do not expect a different result. I expect there will always be scofflaws and irresponsible people and people who endanger the rest of us because they are too shortsighted to conduct themselves in a reasonable manner by keeping their wits about them at all times.
Jail is a fine place for those people.

Insanity is demonstrated by people who watch others ruin their lives with drugs and then think it won't happen to them because they believe the law is wrong. That's insanity.

Old 09-07-2017, 04:07 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
Is that your personal opinion, or do you have a source to back that up?

Old 09-07-2017, 04:34 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I used to be fairly pro-legalization until the opioid epidemic combined with already high meth usage trashed my community in Alaska. These Oregonians have seen nothing. Some of them think that legalization would cut down on the stealing -- I don't see how, unless they're also advocating that we just give them their drugs as well.
Oregonians just think a lot of first offender's lives were ruined by a felony conviction. Putting them in jail is a waste of money and a waste of lives. They get one misdemeanor on their records and the knowledge that next time they go to prison. It's a sensible step toward dealing with an intractable problem. How did those Alaska laws work out for you?

Old 09-07-2017, 04:47 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,859,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
That's called growing up. I know several people who have shaped up, stopped using and became more responsible members of society without going to jail, and it didn't cost the taxpayer hundreds of thousands of dollars to get them there.

Sure - not everyone (including myself) who smoked weed or dropped acid in the 70's/80's went to jail because they did drugs. Many people did grow out of that silly phase of life on their own. For some though, the strong arm of the law was very helpful.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
How did those Alaska laws work out for you?
They mostly weren't enforced.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 09-07-2017 at 06:11 PM..

Old 09-08-2017, 08:56 AM

3,072 posts, read 1,682,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Is that your personal opinion, or do you have a source to back that up?
It is personal opinion, as I've never lived where it was legal. But legalizing harder drugs would not going to give druggies incentives to WORK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon