Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 07:18 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,904,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Oregon has a lot of Mormons. Not as much as Utah obviously, but we have many of them here.
Yes, we do in the Portland west side burbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 08:36 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,476,200 times
Any place with amenities, as in roads, police, etc., will have taxes that pay for them. Different cities/counties/states do it in different ways. But, don't think for a minute that you'll get amenities without paying for them.

People like to talk about the income and sales taxes in CA (by the way, food is not taxed at all). But, what they fail to mention is that real property taxes can only go up something like 2% per year, and will always stay based on your sales price - no matter how long you own the property - and this can get passed along to your kids if they inherit. The property never gets reassessed. This is huge.

So, I suggest when looking at places to relocate to, that have decent amenities - is you just keep asking about ALL of the possible taxes - because those taxes are there. Don't be fooled by the fact that there isn't a sales tax or a tax on social security, etc. There's a tax in there somewhere.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:38 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,755,670 times
Well as I believe I mentioned, the particular place we were looking at was actually going to have the manufactured homes ordered new and in place to sell. Unlike having to purchase it, pay for it's transportation AND setup that would already be done. Pay a ton (like around $80K) just to fix up the land one is going to place it on, and then of course the land itself which would be well above $50K itself, I'd just be paying for the home (financing it as a purchase) and paying a monthly fee for leasing the spot it's on. There is water, sewer and garbage pickup all included in that one fee paid. I figured the ONLY tax one would pay is on the assessed value of the manufactured home I'd be buying outright. Am I wrong?

Yeah sure there is going to be a State Income Tax I get that. But as usual there are deductions. I read a bit so far regarding that and the deductions can reduce that somewhat as well. I'm just trying to lower our cost of living, not that that is something revolutionary. Just a factor of our potential retirement. I'm sure you can understand that. I do of course have a vehicle, a 2017 Rogue. No doubt I'd need to pay a new registration. Utah has a tax each year that is outrageous as well (like this will be about $320 this year as it will for most years as it slowly goes down). Taxes here for the property go up each year without fail. The insurance has remained about the same. Just so much to consider indeed.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:56 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,476,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
Well as I believe I mentioned, the particular place we were looking at was actually going to have the manufactured homes ordered new and in place to sell. Unlike having to purchase it, pay for it's transportation AND setup that would already be done. Pay a ton (like around $80K) just to fix up the land one is going to place it on, and then of course the land itself which would be well above $50K itself, I'd just be paying for the home (financing it as a purchase) and paying a monthly fee for leasing the spot it's on. There is water, sewer and garbage pickup all included in that one fee paid. I figured the ONLY tax one would pay is on the assessed value of the manufactured home I'd be buying outright. Am I wrong?

Yeah sure there is going to be a State Income Tax I get that. But as usual there are deductions. I read a bit so far regarding that and the deductions can reduce that somewhat as well. I'm just trying to lower our cost of living, not that that is something revolutionary. Just a factor of our potential retirement. I'm sure you can understand that. I do of course have a vehicle, a 2017 Rogue. No doubt I'd need to pay a new registration. Utah has a tax each year that is outrageous as well (like this will be about $320 this year as it will for most years as it slowly goes down). Taxes here for the property go up each year without fail. The insurance has remained about the same. Just so much to consider indeed.
Wait a minute. You're talking about buying a manufactured home on leased land? That's an unknown cost forever. Is there also a HOA?

Just research every little thing and all costs and any potential changes in costs in the future, and all possible taxes on anything.

I would never buy anything on leased land, or anything ever again with a HOA. I don't like unknown future costs or rules. It's like having a co-owner on your land, who has the real control over it. Yuck.

I only bring these things up because they are things that I myself learned the hard way by buying in different states and cities, with an without HOA, raw land I developed, etc., etc. It's easy to get a dream in one's head, and not really look at all of the data with an unbiased eye.

Old 09-02-2017, 04:38 AM

17,633 posts, read 22,624,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post

In Oregon, passenger vehicle registration is $86 for 2 years.

Oregon Department of Transportation : Vehicle Title, Registration & Permit Fees : Oregon Driver & Motor Vehicle Services : State of Oregon

Old 09-02-2017, 04:48 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,243,908 times
Also, UT taxes social security benefits, but Oregon does not. If you are living on SS benefits, you will not pay state income taxes in OR.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:32 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,622,791 times
Isn't there an income threshold after which SS is taxed in Oregon?

Old 09-02-2017, 08:47 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
In Oregon, passenger vehicle registration is $86 for 2 years......
That has just been changed this year to a mileage efficiency based registration fee. Also, my son, who is a truck driver is going to have a road use tax taken out of his paycheck. I don't know if that is going to apply to everyone or just to people with a commercial license.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:52 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
No but there can be taxes on other retirement benefits. I remember looking this up when I retired.

Here's a link. You may have to cut and paste 'cause links don't always work when I post them from my IPhone on CD.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/31...and-retirement

Last edited by Minervah; 09-02-2017 at 09:02 AM..

Old 09-02-2017, 01:18 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
You are thinking federal income tax. There is a fairly low threshold before they start taxing SS, and quickly move to taxing 85% of your SS benefits. Oregon does not tax SS, but taxes traditional IRAs and 401ks as income. Roth accounts are tax free just like federal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon