Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 05:52 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times

Advertisements

My house is in Yachats, I consider the coast from Yachats south to about halfway to Florence to be the most beautiful section of the coast.

Oregon is not famous for outstanding schools and the large population centers hog what school money there is, leaving the small towns badly underfunded.

Winters: either you enjoy the rain and function well in it, or you dont. I don't know what anyone can tell you about winter if you don't want to hear that it rains.

Newport is probably the town with the best variety of things to do nearby and it seems to me to be the town with the best shopping and the best mix of ages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 05:56 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Although I agree that Newport and North Bend are great options, there are towns on the coast with similar populations. Coos Bay is actually the largest, but I'm not sure I'd want to raise children there.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:57 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
I lived many years close to Portland, Or, and recently for a couple years in Crescent City, Ca, just across the border from Brookings, OR on the coast.

I just want to mention, that even if you are prepared for a long, wet winter, what you may not have anticipated is another long, wet, overcast rest of the year.

Overcast, rainy weather is not limited to the winter months on the OR/PNW coast.

Whenever someone asks a question about living in this area, followed by...but don't tell me anything I don't want to hear, because I've already made up my mind....then it's clear you're already going to do whatever you want, regardless of any possible advice to the contrary.

if it was me, I would not move back to that region, and I don't have kids. But, you are probably also smart enough to know, that if you want good schools, they have to be in an area with money. And the coastal areas outside of any metropolitan areas (which pretty much excludes any coastal area in OR), will not have much money for good schools.

You should also be sure and research the domestic violence problems in any areas you might be interested in. Many of the coastal, low-income towns also have high incidences of domestic violence. So, these are the homes that your kids' friends will come from. And yes, this makes a huge difference in how they behave, etc.

Crescent City, CA has a major problem with this, as well as drugs. This is not an isolated problem on the PNW coast. And if you are thinking to dismiss this info because it's in CA, look at a map.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:05 AM

861 posts, read 1,063,024 times
We've been on the central coast for 25 years, in a subdivision, 10 miles from town. In the early years, my job took me inside hundreds of homes, and one thing stood out. Homes get weather-beaten on the exterior, but the interiors are generally nicer. Many are 2nd homes, and empty for 9 months a year.
My wife has been substitute-teaching, and is not impressed, though it sure pays well. We didn't raise kids here. Would not do so.
When I retired, it gave us a whole different outlook on the area. Spent more time in the community. Got involved a bit with committees. We're not impressed with the liberal politics. It's like diversity run amok. High unemployment, low wages. Check the crime statistics. Walk around in Wal-Mart or Fred Meyer. We're just glad we don't live in town. And we're preparing to leave in the near future.

Old 09-26-2017, 02:23 AM

19 posts, read 38,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I lived many years close to Portland, Or, and recently for a couple years in Crescent City, Ca, just across the border from Brookings, OR on the coast.

I just want to mention, that even if you are prepared for a long, wet winter, what you may not have anticipated is another long, wet, overcast rest of the year.

Overcast, rainy weather is not limited to the winter months on the OR/PNW coast.

Whenever someone asks a question about living in this area, followed by...but don't tell me anything I don't want to hear, because I've already made up my mind....then it's clear you're already going to do whatever you want, regardless of any possible advice to the contrary.

if it was me, I would not move back to that region, and I don't have kids. But, you are probably also smart enough to know, that if you want good schools, they have to be in an area with money. And the coastal areas outside of any metropolitan areas (which pretty much excludes any coastal area in OR), will not have much money for good schools.

You should also be sure and research the domestic violence problems in any areas you might be interested in. Many of the coastal, low-income towns also have high incidences of domestic violence. So, these are the homes that your kids' friends will come from. And yes, this makes a huge difference in how they behave, etc.

Crescent City, CA has a major problem with this, as well as drugs. This is not an isolated problem on the PNW coast. And if you are thinking to dismiss this info because it's in CA, look at a map.
Thank you for the information. It has helped she'd some light on some questions, I am looking for. Weather year round that is rainy and cold is what is desired, so it is good to hear! Thank you again

Old 09-26-2017, 02:25 AM

Thank you all for your shared facts, opinons, and personal experiences and view points. It is much appreciated!

Old 09-26-2017, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdog View Post
We've been on the central coast for 25 years, in a subdivision, 10 miles from town. In the early years, my job took me inside hundreds of homes, and one thing stood out. Homes get weather-beaten on the exterior, but the interiors are generally nicer. Many are 2nd homes, and empty for 9 months a year.
My wife has been substitute-teaching, and is not impressed, though it sure pays well. We didn't raise kids here. Would not do so.
When I retired, it gave us a whole different outlook on the area. Spent more time in the community. Got involved a bit with committees. We're not impressed with the liberal politics. It's like diversity run amok. High unemployment, low wages. Check the crime statistics. Walk around in Wal-Mart or Fred Meyer. We're just glad we don't live in town. And we're preparing to leave in the near future.
Thank you for the information, and bringing up the second home thought.

Old 09-26-2017, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I have a home on the Central Oregon Coast; my "job" is elsewhere, so I totally get it. You won't find many on this forum who do.

The Oregon Coast has a lot of retired people. The South Coast gets less tourists, if that makes a difference to you. Can't speak to the quality of the schools, sorry.

It doesn't sound like you'll flying out much, but FWIW, I use the Eugene airport because it's so much more convenient than PDX. I've never waited in line more than 15 minutes except for once. You might pay more, you might not, and it might not be as convenient for your destinations, but it sounds like you've got that figured out.

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on coastal living, but I like Gold Beach, North Bend, Florence, and Astoria the best, but I'm not looking at it from the viewpoint of a parent, so YMMV. I hear there's lots of meth around in some places.

Are you looking for a more rural lifetyle or do you want to be in a town?

Thank you for getting what trying to ask. We are looking to be on the out skirts of a town and maybe inside a suburb of sorts.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:21 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasis_finder View Post
Thank you for getting what trying to ask. We are looking to be on the out skirts of a town and maybe inside a suburb of sorts.
Just wondering, have you ever visited the Oregon Coast?

Old 09-26-2017, 08:56 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Although I agree that Newport and North Bend are great options, there are towns on the coast with similar populations. Coos Bay is actually the largest, but I'm not sure I'd want to raise children there.
Coos Bay doesn't have good schools which is why I didn't mention it. North Bend does and Newport has some decent ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon