Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 07:45 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times

Advertisements

In Oregon it is "going to the coast".

In California it is "going to the beach"

This of course is simplifying the argument, but it is true as one can witness on local tv weather reports. In Portland it is the forecast for the "coast". In LA, it is the forecast for the "beaches". While LA is closer to their coast, they also provide inland weather reports that stretch as far inland as Portland is to its coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 07:54 PM

4,597 posts, read 2,988,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiz View Post
Uh...I'm from San Diego. I think that qualifies as SoCal, um, I mean Southern California.

I say "5" when I'm referring to Interstate 5. I do not use "the" EVER. I mean, like, NEVER. That's, like, TOTALLY wrong. Native Californians don't use "the." It's the people who moved there, then moved your way when they'd finished crowding the beaches and roads, made their money, and then decided to find greener pastures elsewhere. Those are the people you call "Californians." You know, the people from Minnesota. Or from Arizona. Or Oregon or Washington. In fact, come to think of it, the people who bought our house in San Diego came from Seattle.

I grew up a couple blocks from Morena Blvd across from Sea World when I-5 hadn't been built along that stretch yet. I remember my mother taking me by the hand and crossing the marshes on our way to Mission Bay, no problem crossing the freeway because it wasn't there. Then they began building it, and we couldn't go to Mission Bay any more. Then I got older and rode my bike there, then rode to the beach, you know,where the waves are. I rode to PB. Or OB. And sometimes Mission Beach, not MB...Oh my Gawd! See, that's a Californian talking. I drive 5 all the time still even though I live in the PNW now.

What difference does it make whether someone says "5" or "the 5"??

Old 11-05-2017, 10:48 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
I have audio of SoCal traffic reporters calling freeways "The" back into the late 80's. So this isn't anything new.

To Algiz: I don't think this is totally an outside Cali phenomenon. How could it be? For it to become so common it would need the natives to step on board.

But as NW4me says, it really doesn't matter much. I just find it interesting as someone who follows language and phrase differences within the U.S.

And yes, I do hear it in the Seattle area, but not to any huge extent.

As a sidebar: I remember that Seattle copied the "Sig Alert" in the 80's, even though "Sig" had nothing to do with Seattle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sig_Alert

Old 11-06-2017, 10:00 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Again I believe you are thinking of the past. ODOT's current signs all say "Oregon Coast". I haven't seen any "Ocean Beaches" signs in years, except for the ones in Grants Pass for US-199. I would guess those retain "Ocean Beaches" because ODOT prefers that to "California Coast".

I would be interested to know what the story behind the Ocean Beaches signs was. I have a suspicion that the Oregon Tourism Commission probably had something to do with it. Maybe they thought that Ocean Beaches sounded better and was more likely to get tourists to get off I-5 and drive over to the coast. Whatever the reason was, they don't use those signs anymore.
The signs in Salem say "Ocean Beaches".

Old 11-06-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
The correct pronunciation is HECK-u-tuh.
Too bad NO ONE ever says it that way.

Even the National Weather Service NOAA Weather Radio broadcasts.

To think we've been saying it wrong all these years!

Old 11-06-2017, 02:44 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
The signs in Salem say "Ocean Beaches".
At what locations and when did you see the "Ocean Beaches" signs? It sounds to me like you haven't been to Salem in the last five years, or you don't pay much attention to the signs.

Old 11-06-2017, 03:14 PM

Next time I'm in Salem I'll take a picture just for you.

Old 11-06-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Next time I'm in Salem I'll take a picture just for you.
You can just tell me the location of the sign. I can find a picture of it in a few minutes. I was last in Salem three months ago. There were no Ocean Beaches signs anywhere at that time. ODOT replaced all of those about five years ago.

Old 11-06-2017, 04:38 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
This is from 2016:

Quote:

From Salem
Travel west on Oregon Highway 22W through Salem, following signs for Ocean Beaches. At the junction with Oregon Highway 99W, exit right towards McMinnville and follow the loop. At the stop sign, turn left onto 99W. Follow the highway north into McMinnville, about 20 miles.
http://visitmcminnville.com/mcminnvi...o-mcminnville/

I don't pay attention to the signs anymore because I know where I'm going.

Old 11-07-2017, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
This is from 2016:

Getting to McMinnville – Visit McMinnville

I don't pay attention to the signs anymore because I know where I'm going.

Apparently I'm the only one who does pay attention to the signs. LOL. Maybe it's because I don't own a GPS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon