Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2017, 04:50 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWdreamin View Post
Well that sounds interesting Metlakatla!

You know who has crave-able food? Por Que No? Addictive
I finally tried the chicken wings at Pok Pok and I thought those were pretty addictive. There is some controversy about whether they are authentically Thai, but I don't care what they call them, they are good!

Podnah's Pit has a mean smoked prime rib.

OK, potential food stops on my weekend now. And I have to try Por Que No--but every time I'm in that area (Hawthorne location) it seems like there's a line.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:45 PM

320 posts, read 417,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
I finally tried the chicken wings at Pok Pok and I thought those were pretty addictive. There is some controversy about whether they are authentically Thai, but I don't care what they call them, they are good!

Podnah's Pit has a mean smoked prime rib.

OK, potential food stops on my weekend now. And I have to try Por Que No--but every time I'm in that area (Hawthorne location) it seems like there's a line.
I have heard so many great things about about Pok Poks wings, but haven't tried them yet. I have also heard good things about Podnah's Pit. I guess I need to make a stop.

Yes, Por Que No usually has a line, but it moves fairly quickly. You can't be in a huge hurry, but it's definitely worth the wait! Make sure to get The Carnita's Taco! Even if you don't normally eat pork. It's the best. My family swears by the shrimp tacos and shrimp quesadilla too, but I wouldn't know. Also, chips and Guac and you should try their homemade fruit juices....so yummy. I always take out of town guests there and they crave it when they leave.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:15 PM

934 posts, read 1,128,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
You are just buying into their hype. It all comes from the same place. Factory farms in the Central Valley of California. One truckload goes to McDonald's, the truckload next to it goes to In-n-Out. It's all the same.

As for freshness of In-n-Out, yeah maybe it is fresher. But McDonald's could probably compete on freshness too, if their menu consisted of five items. You also pay for that freshness with a 45 minute wait to get your order.

Here is a pretty good balanced review of In-n-Out burger.

Great American Bites_ Is In-N-Out Burger overhyped_

I don't agree. I can taste the difference. In N Out tastes very fresh and real. McDonalds does not. And typically I'm in and out (!) in 5 minutes at my Medford location.

Old 01-02-2018, 11:48 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,869,838 times
Had my first PDX slider last week. I am a convert. Meaty nuggets of goodness on excellent bread, covered in delicious cheese with tasty toppings. They had me at the shredded pulled pork and slaw covered fries.
Sliders about $4, I literally couldn't finish the steel double cheese burger slider (half size) it was so rich, but well I had already had half the fries....

Old 04-26-2018, 10:59 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Default Burger Review

My wife is recovering from hip surgery, so I had to drive her to a meeting in Grants Pass today. It was an evening meeting, so I took the opportunity to give the famous In 'n Out burger a try. I ordered a #1 meal, which is a double double burger and fries with a soft drink for $7.30.

A double double is two patties and two slices of cheese, with vegetable garnish. The patties were well grilled with a good grilled flavor. The cheese was Sysco quality process cheese without noticeable flavor. The lettuce, tomatoes and onions were fresh. With the meat patties, they were the best part of the burger. There was no pickle.

The bun was a 4" bun, and not toasted. It was sort of soggy, and stuck to the cheese on top and the meat on the bottom.

The fries were 1/4" cut real potatoes. They came with salt on the side, no kechup or dipping sauce. They could have been improved with another 5 minutes in the fryer. They were only brown on the edges and lacked any distinctive deep fried flavor.

Overall, the meal was a good solid 6, about the same as Jack In The Box, but not as good as Burgerville, which rates a 7.

Old 04-27-2018, 03:06 AM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
My wife is recovering from hip surgery, so I had to drive her to a meeting in Grants Pass today. It was an evening meeting, so I took the opportunity to give the famous In 'n Out burger a try. I ordered a #1 meal, which is a double double burger and fries with a soft drink for $7.30.

A double double is two patties and two slices of cheese, with vegetable garnish. The patties were well grilled with a good grilled flavor. The cheese was Sysco quality process cheese without noticeable flavor. The lettuce, tomatoes and onions were fresh. With the meat patties, they were the best part of the burger. There was no pickle.

The bun was a 4" bun, and not toasted. It was sort of soggy, and stuck to the cheese on top and the meat on the bottom.

The fries were 1/4" cut real potatoes. They came with salt on the side, no kechup or dipping sauce. They could have been improved with another 5 minutes in the fryer. They were only brown on the edges and lacked any distinctive deep fried flavor.

Overall, the meal was a good solid 6, about the same as Jack In The Box, but not as good as Burgerville, which rates a 7.
6? You give the greatest burger known to man a 6? The In-n-Out cult will not be pleased. LOL

With all your talk about Burgerville though, you just convinced me to put trying that on my bucket list. The Yelp pictures do look pretty good.

Last edited by Cloudy Dayz; 04-27-2018 at 03:15 AM..

Old 04-27-2018, 09:00 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
Burgerville used to have (and may still have, I haven't eaten there in years because the farthest south they go is, what, Albany?) seasonally available halibut fish and chips. For a fast food place that is amazing, most sit-down places used pollock or maybe cod.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 04-27-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Burgerville used to have (and may still have, I haven't eaten there in years because the farthest south they go is, what, Albany?) seasonally available halibut fish and chips. For a fast food place that is amazing, most sit-down places used pollock or maybe cod.
I just saw that Burgerville employees have voted to unionize. Burgerville is supporting the action.

Old 04-27-2018, 06:08 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
For Burgerville fans, does anybody think that In-n-Out will be able to directly compete against Burgerville in Northern Oregon? This poll from a few years ago seems to show it could, but I have my doubts.

Quote:
The upcoming In-N-Out 37.4% (291 votes)
Burgerville 25.06% (195 votes)
Five Guys 13.11% (102 votes)
Killer Burger 10.15% (79 votes)
Other: 7.58% (59 votes)
Little Big Burger 6.68% (52 votes)

Total Votes: 778
What's your favorite burger chain_ (poll) _ OregonLive.com.html

Old 04-27-2018, 06:36 PM

It's all location. Nobody is going to drive half an hour for a burger, then wait 15 minutes for it to be cooked. In 'n Out also is very narrowly focused. Burgers, fries and drinks are their only product. In Grants Pass they are right next to Carl's Jr., but I don't order burgers at Carl's Jr., I order their taco salad, which is pretty good. If it gets to be dinner time and I'm on the road with the dogs, I feed them chicken mcnuggets. I happened to have a mini dacshund with me at In 'N Out, and was very pleased that they didn't salt the fries. The dog got half of them. It saved me driving to MickeyD's for mcnuggets.

Just about any fast food joint is just one step above dog food, and I wouldn't feed my dogs on a steady diet of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon