U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2017, 11:31 PM

239 posts, read 153,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
When Sonic opened in Roseburg there were lines so long they stretched into traffic. I waited until the stampede was over and stopped in for a burger to see what the rush was about. It was one of the two worst burgers I have ever tasted in my life, microwaved and under cooked. I guess people will buy anything if you hype it enough. I also had a burger once at Red Robin. Their business model apparently is to get you drunk enough you don't realize your burger order takes half an hour because it sat on a counter somewhere and got cold before they gave it to you. I have given up on burgers. If I need fast food, I go to Subway.
Sonic's main appeal is their drinks (which are usually very fresh, coming with crushed ice in foam cups), plus their shakes and a few items other chains don't carry like chili cheese dogs.

But yeah, their burgers are as bland as heck.

Old 10-28-2017, 12:56 AM

6,422 posts, read 4,260,421 times
Agreed about Sonic. I do like their specialty hot dogs, but it kind of ends there for me. I used to like their grilled chicken sandwiches, but lately they seem dried out, but that could just be the (un)luck of the draw. Their burgers are very close to average, IMO.

Another chain to pay attention to is "Culver's", out of the midwest. They have expanded into Utah and Idaho and offer some pretty tasty offerings, including their signature Butter Burgers, and their Custard of all things. Don't know if they intend to move into WA/OR.

https://www.culvers.com/

Old 10-28-2017, 01:37 AM

6,407 posts, read 2,559,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWdreamin View Post
No way....McDonalds is not even in the same atmosphere as In N Out. McDonalds is all frozen artificial crap. In N Out is 100% fresh and it's GREAT quality. Probably the best Quality burger out there as far as freshness and ingredients. It's not a really big meat patty, but the taste is so much better than any other I've tried so far. It's all about different taste buds I guess as far as preference, but as far a quality...I'd say In N Out beats even Burgerville....or they are neck and neck. In Taste...In N Out wins in my book. But yes, even with the fresh high quality ingredients, In N Out is still super affordable and doesn't charge an arm and a leg either. If you want more meat, just order a double double or 3 by 3 or 4 by 4
You are just buying into their hype. It all comes from the same place. Factory farms in the Central Valley of California. One truckload goes to McDonald's, the truckload next to it goes to In-n-Out. It's all the same.

As for freshness of In-n-Out, yeah maybe it is fresher. But McDonald's could probably compete on freshness too, if their menu consisted of five items. You also pay for that freshness with a 45 minute wait to get your order.

Here is a pretty good balanced review of In-n-Out burger.

Quote:
Reason to visit: Burgers with lots of toppings, especially the "secret" grilled onions

The food: Despite its very passionate loyal following, the actual burgers at In-N-Out are not especially good. The very basic, thin fast-food patties housed in generic buns are nearly identical to those at McDonald's or Burger King. What does set them apart are the trimmings, as the chain emphasizes freshness. The thick-sliced tomato, onion and crispy lettuce are noticeably superior to their competitors. A burger with the works, which includes their signature "spread" – think Thousand Island dressing – becomes a substantial and fairly tasty combo; a great value at less than two bucks for a burger (and just $3.30 for a loaded double cheeseburger). If you order your burgers or cheeseburgers more on the plain side, though, you may have trouble understanding what the In-N-Out fuss is all about.

Freshness is a big part of their fans' passion, and the chain makes it a point to emphasize that its stores have no microwaves, heat lamps or freezer. Every burger is cooked to order, one at a time. The chain has two patty facilities where it grinds its own meat using whole cuts from regular distributors, whereas many fast-food chains get their patties frozen directly from third-party meat processing plants. Likewise, potatoes are hand-cut in each store and fried in 100% vegetable oils in frequent, small batches. The shakes are made from actual ice cream.

That's the good news.

The bad news is that with the exception of the toppings, none of this freshness matters much. The patties don't taste appreciably better, and for fast food, take a long time to arrive without being worth the extra wait. The shakes still have that synthetic taste common to the big fast-food chains and are nothing special; and the fries have a distinctive taste that I do not like – a too crunchy, almost overcooked quality. It's not a matter of crispness, as I love crisp fries, it's more as if they have been cooked to the point of the liquid evaporating within and are too dry. Since they are unusual, some consumers fall on either side of the divide; I have friends who respectively love or hate the fries.
Great American Bites_ Is In-N-Out Burger overhyped_

Old 10-28-2017, 02:02 AM

2,320 posts, read 1,288,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
I really don't get the obsession with In 'n Out. Same fad thing seems to surround Chic fil A when they open a new restaurant. And even Sonic out here. When I lived in Texas, Sonic was as common as Dairy Queen or Subway and about as good. When they opened out here to big obessive lines I was astonished. It's just fried fast food, not the next iPhone.

There are a bazillion better options if you want a high quality burger. Here in PDX there are Burgerville which I find much nicer and even better small chains like Killer Burger. Plus there are probably 100 pubs in the area that make 100x better burgers than any of these chains.
Actually for a reasonably priced gourmet burger (chain), I can suggest and recommend Little Big Burger, cooked right in front of you as well as the TRUFFLE fries, am a bit of a Foodie and can tell you to try them- DELICIOUS!

Little Big Burger

Old 10-28-2017, 03:11 AM

13,138 posts, read 13,181,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
No, not Subway. Go to Big Town Hero, Jersey Mike's, Jimmy John's, anywhere except Subway. Everything in Subway is stale as hell, and the meats are all artificial ingredients.
I've never heard of any of those. I suppose they are in Portland, but I'm not going to drive 7 hours for fast food.

My favorite Subway sandwich is tuna. I have never had any complaints.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:44 AM

21,697 posts, read 24,254,475 times
I had an In’N’Out burger when I visited my sister in LA. Not impressed. I like Five Guys like maybe once or twice a year. If I don’t want a burger, Big Town Hero is good.

But if really want a good burger, there are really good local, not chain restaurants in my area that specializes in them. Little Big Burger might be the equivalent to those.

Old 10-28-2017, 01:17 PM

320 posts, read 358,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
You are just buying into their hype. It all comes from the same place. Factory farms in the Central Valley of California. One truckload goes to McDonald's, the truckload next to it goes to In-n-Out. It's all the same.

As for freshness of In-n-Out, yeah maybe it is fresher. But McDonald's could probably compete on freshness too, if their menu consisted of five items. You also pay for that freshness with a 45 minute wait to get your order.

Here is a pretty good balanced review of In-n-Out burger.

Great American Bites_ Is In-N-Out Burger overhyped_
Not True.....doesn't come from the same place. One is Fresh, one is frozen and processed. This is not my opinion but factual information. I can care less about the "hype"...the food and facts speak for themselves. I grew up loving and craving In N Out with no clue as to the "hype". It was just my favorite burger place because of the taste. Also, my best friend worked for In N Out for years when she was young, So I know what goes on behind the scenes. They also pay very well for a fast food place and have very high standards as far as cleanliness, customer service etc. It's also known to be a good company to work for, which I respect. As far as that article....it's 100% opinion from a person who is not a fan....not a "balanced view". Of course there are people who are not a fan, I can't think of a single restaurant of food item that "everyone" loves. Though I'm sure I could find 5 positive articles for every negative. Like I said.....as far as taste, it's a matter of opinion and preference. But as far as quality...it's definitely a winner. My disagreement with you is that you were giving incorrect information regarding the quality and freshness. I will say as far as taste though.....the results, long lines and success speak for them selves. If your not a fan....great. One less person in line

Old 10-28-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I've never heard of any of those. I suppose they are in Portland, but I'm not going to drive 7 hours for fast food.

My favorite Subway sandwich is tuna. I have never had any complaints.
Subway is not real food, or at least not most of it. Ask yourself this. Why does Subway's Roasted Chicken Breast contain artificial chicken flavoring? It's not common to put artificial flavor in real food. I don't even want to tell you what they put in your tuna.

Subway chicken only about 50% meat, according to Canadian study

Old 10-28-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWdreamin View Post
Not True.....doesn't come from the same place. One is Fresh, one is frozen and processed. This is not my opinion but factual information. I can care less about the "hype"...the food and facts speak for themselves. I grew up loving and craving In N Out with no clue as to the "hype". It was just my favorite burger place because of the taste. Also, my best friend worked for In N Out for years when she was young, So I know what goes on behind the scenes. They also pay very well for a fast food place and have very high standards as far as cleanliness, customer service etc. It's also known to be a good company to work for, which I respect. As far as that article....it's 100% opinion from a person who is not a fan....not a "balanced view". Of course there are people who are not a fan, I can't think of a single restaurant of food item that "everyone" loves. Though I'm sure I could find 5 positive articles for every negative. Like I said.....as far as taste, it's a matter of opinion and preference. But as far as quality...it's definitely a winner. My disagreement with you is that you were giving incorrect information regarding the quality and freshness. I will say as far as taste though.....the results, long lines and success speak for them selves. If your not a fan....great. One less person in line
That is your opinion. It is not a fact. It does come from the same place. In-n-Out doesn't even claim that they raise their own beef. Their only claim is that it is not frozen. Freezing meat is not a bad thing. It keeps the meat fresh. Many five star restaurants buy frozen meats. Most meat that you eat has been frozen. Have you ever eaten turkey? If so, my bet is that it was from a frozen bird.

Old 10-28-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I had an In’N’Out burger when I visited my sister in LA. Not impressed. I like Five Guys like maybe once or twice a year. If I don’t want a burger, Big Town Hero is good.

But if really want a good burger, there are really good local, not chain restaurants in my area that specializes in them. Little Big Burger might be the equivalent to those.
Big Town Hero is awesome. It's too bad there aren't more of them around. Real food, and the freshness is not just hype.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or