Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 12:05 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,299,955 times

Advertisements

Here is a photo of the first location in Baldwin Park as it is today. If you look on Google maps it appears to be a kind of museum piece.

Old 10-27-2017, 01:01 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
I really don't get the obsession with In 'n Out. Same fad thing seems to surround Chic fil A when they open a new restaurant. And even Sonic out here. When I lived in Texas, Sonic was as common as Dairy Queen or Subway and about as good. When they opened out here to big obessive lines I was astonished. It's just fried fast food, not the next iPhone.

There are a bazillion better options if you want a high quality burger. Here in PDX there are Burgerville which I find much nicer and even better small chains like Killer Burger. Plus there are probably 100 pubs in the area that make 100x better burgers than any of these chains.
Marketing. Hype the hell out of your product and expand very, very, very slowly, to build up the anticipation. After people wait years for you to open, they are not going to admit that they waited all that time for just another crappy fast food sandwich. So they will keep coming back.

Old 10-27-2017, 02:01 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
I really don't get the obsession with In 'n Out. Same fad thing seems to surround Chic fil A when they open a new restaurant. And even Sonic out here. When I lived in Texas, Sonic was as common as Dairy Queen or Subway and about as good. When they opened out here to big obessive lines I was astonished. It's just fried fast food, not the next iPhone.

There are a bazillion better options if you want a high quality burger. Here in PDX there are Burgerville which I find much nicer and even better small chains like Killer Burger. Plus there are probably 100 pubs in the area that make 100x better burgers than any of these chains.
When Sonic opened in Roseburg there were lines so long they stretched into traffic. I waited until the stampede was over and stopped in for a burger to see what the rush was about. It was one of the two worst burgers I have ever tasted in my life, microwaved and under cooked. I guess people will buy anything if you hype it enough. I also had a burger once at Red Robin. Their business model apparently is to get you drunk enough you don't realize your burger order takes half an hour because it sat on a counter somewhere and got cold before they gave it to you. I have given up on burgers. If I need fast food, I go to Subway.

Old 10-27-2017, 02:31 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
When Sonic opened in Roseburg there were lines so long they stretched into traffic. I waited until the stampede was over and stopped in for a burger to see what the rush was about. It was one of the two worst burgers I have ever tasted in my life, microwaved and under cooked. I guess people will buy anything if you hype it enough. I also had a burger once at Red Robin. Their business model apparently is to get you drunk enough you don't realize your burger order takes half an hour because it sat on a counter somewhere and got cold before they gave it to you. I have given up on burgers. If I need fast food, I go to Subway.
No, not Subway. Go to Big Town Hero, Jersey Mike's, Jimmy John's, anywhere except Subway. Everything in Subway is stale as hell, and the meats are all artificial ingredients.

Old 10-27-2017, 03:48 PM

320 posts, read 417,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
They have a supply chain in California that can serve Southern Oregon. That supply chain could probably be stretched to Portland, but it would be difficult to deliver fresh product that far. So they will continue to open stores from south to north. By the time they get to Portland they will open a processing plant near Portland, to serve the Portland area.

That said I don't know why anyone is looking forward to another junk food place opening. There are already too much of that. With all the good mom and pop burger places in Oregon, I don't know who would want to eat that processed crap.
That's just it though.....it's not processed crap at in n out. The meat is fresh, never frozen. Their fries are made from fresh whole potatoes, which they cut and make right there in each store, fresh produce, which they pick through to only use the best lettuce leaves etc. That's why they aren't expanding faster. They want each store to be within a days drive from a warehouse to ensure it's freshness. And it just taste VERY good! Not to mention the incredibly low prices. I like Burgerville enough, but it's double the price and just doesn't have quite as good of flavor IMHO. I haven't tried Dicks yet. Will do!

Old 10-27-2017, 03:59 PM

320 posts, read 417,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I think that is a slightly different demographic. In-n-Out is more in competition with McDonald's. In-n-Out is about half the price, half the quality of Burgerville, and I don't consider Burgerville to be high on quality.
No way....McDonalds is not even in the same atmosphere as In N Out. McDonalds is all frozen artificial crap. In N Out is 100% fresh and it's GREAT quality. Probably the best Quality burger out there as far as freshness and ingredients. It's not a really big meat patty, but the taste is so much better than any other I've tried so far. It's all about different taste buds I guess as far as preference, but as far a quality...I'd say In N Out beats even Burgerville....or they are neck and neck. In Taste...In N Out wins in my book. But yes, even with the fresh high quality ingredients, In N Out is still super affordable and doesn't charge an arm and a leg either. If you want more meat, just order a double double or 3 by 3 or 4 by 4

Old 10-27-2017, 05:30 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,624,108 times
Some people don't like In N Out because it's unlike what they are used to. The hamburgers taste like beef and the fries taste like potatoes.

Old 10-27-2017, 07:00 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,634,216 times
The Grants Pass In N Out is right next to I-5. You can see their sign real good from I-5, which will attract a lot of business, IMHO...

https://www.google.com/search?source....0.NWwcj6OQQjY

A Red Robin has been built in Grants Pass. We haven't tried it, so far.

https://www.google.com/search?source....0.bZfkxZUvPD0

Old 10-27-2017, 07:36 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times
There was an article in one of the business newspapers about Chipotle vs McDonalds - analysts originally predicted that Chipotle would kill McDonalds (proving, yet again, that analysts are not always very wise in what they analyze). They were wrong, lol, and (IMO) wrong because they apparently don't understand what drives people to go to fast food burger restaurants - fast, cheap (relatively), easy, convenient and familiar. Not that many choices, no dithering over the menu, something the kids will eat (because you eat there often enough for it to be familiar to the kids), etc etc.

Ah, I though it was the WaPo, here it is:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.30ca5f8c9445

Old 10-27-2017, 09:33 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,868,785 times
This thread is making me hungry....
(sorry didn't think too much of Burgerville and we even tried out the spring asparagus this year ..)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon