Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2018, 02:09 PM

2 posts, read 1,559 times

Advertisements

What are some good cities areas in Oregon to relocate too?
Texas (Dallas area is on our list too) but that has weather issues for us.

I am in IT and my wife works a few hours a day. So a good to decent job market is needed for me.
We have 2 boys ages 8 and 6
Need good schools environment for them. Boy Scouts, activities etc.
Hopeful to buy a nice house 4 or 5 bdrm under 300k
Where is some new construction??
I have heard Medford would not be good for us. But i dont know myself.

All advice is appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 05:20 PM

5,444 posts, read 7,740,196 times
If you want a 3-4 bedroom new construction house for under 300K in a city with a good job market for IT then you best look at Texas. You'll find not find anything close to that in Oregon. 300K will about buy you a 2 br townhouse in the 1200 sf range in the suburbs around Portland where most of the jobs are.

You will find something closer to what you are looking for in the suburbs around all the big cities in Texas (Dallas, Fort Worth, Austin, San Antonio, and Houston).

Old 01-13-2018, 03:45 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
In your price range there are several listed in the Salem area, and there should be a selection of jobs. I think I heard Facebook is expanding their data center in Prineville, if you prefer a more rural area.

Old 01-13-2018, 11:08 AM

5,444 posts, read 7,740,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
In your price range there are several listed in the Salem area, and there should be a selection of jobs. I think I heard Facebook is expanding their data center in Prineville, if you prefer a more rural area.
Cousin of mine from Salem is in the IT/tech field. I'm not exactly sure his specialty. He ended up commuting to the Apple Store in Tigard for a while until finally finding a better tech job in the Beaverton area. The only tech jobs he could find in Salem were low paying ($25k/year) IT support jobs at the local school district.

Old 01-13-2018, 04:41 PM

497 posts, read 484,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Cousin of mine from Salem is in the IT/tech field. I'm not exactly sure his specialty. He ended up commuting to the Apple Store in Tigard for a while until finally finding a better tech job in the Beaverton area. The only tech jobs he could find in Salem were low paying ($25k/year) IT support jobs at the local school district.
Exactly. I'm studying for an entry-level IT cert at the moment. The job market in Salem is poor, to say the least. All the people I know in IT work in and around Portland. I will be relocating later this year after I find a position in that area.

OP: Oregon has become very expensive over the last 5 years or so. If you can add another 100k to your budget you might have better luck finding what you're looking for. If we're being realistic though, Texas is probably a better bet to find all the things you're after.

Old 01-13-2018, 05:20 PM

991 posts, read 1,520,296 times
One other option, get a remote IT job that allows you to work from home with no travel or occasional travel. To get good remote pay you will need to have a specialty OR have a ton of experience.

Best wishes.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:24 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpoulos2 View Post
What are some good cities areas in Oregon to relocate too?
Texas (Dallas area is on our list too) but that has weather issues for us.

I am in IT and my wife works a few hours a day. So a good to decent job market is needed for me.
We have 2 boys ages 8 and 6
Need good schools environment for them. Boy Scouts, activities etc.
Hopeful to buy a nice house 4 or 5 bdrm under 300k
Where is some new construction??
I have heard Medford would not be good for us. But i dont know myself.

All advice is appreciated
For jobs, Portland and Eugene. Send out your applications and see what you get.

For nice 5 BR houses, under 300K, stay in Texas.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:46 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Oregon is not keen on funding K-12, but the income tax free state 2 minutes north of Oregon gets 300 - 500 new Oregon residents / month (many seeking k-12 EDU)

<300k housing budget will be tough, west of Cascade Mtns, but possible east.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:26 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
You can get a house for under $300k here with 4 bedrooms, but it won't be new construction. That is $400k+ here.

There are IT jobs here with the state and such, but those positions don't come up frequently. Unless you have some specialty certificates or experience it will be hard to get one of the good IT positions here. I have several clients in IT and they all had to take not so great jobs so that they could network and get the good positions when they opened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon