Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2008, 09:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,058 times

Advertisements

Have you put together and payed for any weddings lately?
I'd like to relate a recent experience and maybe find out if this is typical behavior.
My daughter and I were keeping an appointment in a florist shop called "The Garden Path" in McMinnville, Oregon in an effort to hire expert floral assistance for her wedding.
We had not been in this shop before and the employees had no past experience with us.
We had been seated for about 5 minutes discussing different bouquets; tossing around opinions about this bouquet and that.
The lady florist working with us said to me "It's her wedding"! Barely catching her comment I asked her to repeat what she said, but I was ignored so I repeated myself; "what did you say"? She then repeated her statement. I told her she didn't need to say that, but what I wanted to say was "yeah well there is no wedding without my money and you just lost a client for your rudeness" I felt like I had been told to butt out! Here I am the one expected to foot the bill which makes me the client and I was being told to butt out. Are parents today expected to hand their kids the credit card and butt out? Even if my daughter and I were arguing (we weren't) or if I was being pushy (I asked my daughter to be sure and she assures me I was not) it still would have been rude and uncalled for. My daughter raised her eyebrows with a questioning look as if to say "where did that come from"? I felt immediately disrespected and "The Garden Path" had lost a possible small fortune in flower and arrangement fees. I think the people in the wedding business aught to realize that the one with the wallet/parent is every bit the client as the bride and/or groom and treat them respectfully.
When the lady left the table for a second I said to my daughter "We're outa here" being the loyal daughter that she is (ever the defender of mom) she was all to eager to leave as well. We were polite and told the lady we would reschedule when we were more sure of what we wanted, but I wish I had told her she was rude and I wasn't giving her my business.
We ended up in a terrific place in the same town called "Posy Land" where the exuberance, joy and obvious love of what they do took hold of our hearts and our loyalty. I haven't even experienced their finished product yet and I am recommending them. I guess you could say "The Garden Path" led us to "Posy Land". I'll keep you posted on how it goes. In the mean time if you have similar experiences I would love to hear of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 10:29 PM

39 posts, read 245,806 times
Probably a knee-jerk reaction. I was a florist for 16 years, and the common saying in floristry is "it's not the bride--it's MOTHER of the bride", meaning, many (not all) moms don't let the bride get a word in edgewise about what colors or arrangements they want for their own wedding day. We were never rude about it, though. We let moms and daughters hash out who was paying for what and who would get to decide what...we did try to find out just what it was the bride had in mind, so we could try to do our best for her, within the paying parent's wishes. Glad you found a more welcoming shop!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: