Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 05:12 AM

4 posts, read 12,320 times

Advertisements

As background, I may have an opportunity to move to Roseburg for a job. I would be coming with my Spouse and our two dogs. We're in our late thirties and basically, homebodies who love to travel (contradictory I know). We have been considering a move to OR for some time as we have family throughout the West coast and nothing keeping us where we currently reside (New England). We were considering a more populous locale but arriving at a new state with a job in hand is very tempting and may make a great starting point for our new West Coast life.

While we have traveled around Oregon in the past we've never been to Roseburg. The closest we have come is Eugene. As best I can tell Roseburg is a touch larger than the city we'd be moving from but slightly more isolated in regards to nearby cities. I've been doing as much research as possible but a lot of the info I find is several years old so I'm looking for an updated perspective. My potential employer has implied that Roseburg is "growing and up and coming". My research doesn't seem to imply that.

My first concern is crime. Do you feel Roseburg is safe? Are there areas I would want to avoid as far as finding housing? I understand many places have crime and drugs and that no location is perfectly safe, however, I want to be able to walk my dog and not feel like I'm looking over my shoulder and be out at night and feel relatively safe.

It also appears that Roseburg is a pretty conservative area. I'm fine with people having their own beliefs and basically feel that everyone should just live and let live. I am, however, tattooed somewhat heavily. While tattoos are pretty mainstream there are definitely still pockets of people who make snap judgments based on this. An occasional dirty look doesn't bother me but if the entire town is going to think I'm the devil and make me feel ostracized I'd like to know. The reason I ask is I have read some forum posts that do imply prejudice regarding those with alternative type looks/lifestyles in the area.

Also, rental housing is clearly at a minimum. Does anyone have a suggestion as to the best places to seek out housing? Real Estate agencies and managing companies they've had luck with?

Thanks in advance for any help/thoughts/illuminations you can provide!

Last edited by scrapmetalzen; 01-29-2018 at 05:48 AM..

Old 01-29-2018, 07:37 AM

4,168 posts, read 2,565,712 times
Good morning, Your possible move sounds very exciting. New England is beautiful, I lived in Ct for eight yrs in the 70's. But after spending about 4 months in NC because of a divorce in Washington state I've decided that the East Coast is too built up for me, and the West, the wide open spaces, is where I am more comfortable. That, and the wait list for senior housing in Boone, NC isn't moving at all, but the one in eastern Oregon is moving very quickly. And I can't stay at my daughter's forever. Sooo it's Westward Ho!!!

In my case it's a small town in eastern Oregon not far from La Grande which has a 4 yr college. Having a school around brings in all kinds of different people which helps give an area more flavor. I'm mostly conservative, but independent in other areas, and I like tattoos, and piercings. I know there are others out there with similar leanings.

I hope folks chime in on your thread for your sake, and so I can learn about my future home too. Just yesterday I was reading about Sutherlin, Or which isn't too far from where you are interested.

I did a search for tattoo parlors near Roseburg, and there seems to be enough people coming in to keep several open. So I don't think you will be the only one there that is decorated. Hopefully you will feel welcomed.

https://www.google.com/search?client...2!2i436!4f13.1

I hope the search results come out alright. And I wish you guys the best of luck in your quest. Sounds like great fun.

Last edited by mlulu23; 01-29-2018 at 08:31 AM..

Old 01-29-2018, 08:17 AM

731 posts, read 678,101 times
With two dogs you might have a problem finding a place to rent.

Here is a link to the Roseburg Police Department Log> City of Roseburg :: Police Log

There are 7 homeless shelters you can google for the locations. You would not want to live near those. https://www.yellowpages.com/roseburg...eless-shelters

Old 01-29-2018, 08:21 AM

4 posts, read 12,320 times
I realize the dogs add to the difficulty of renting, however, they are part of my life so I'll figure it out even if it requires an increased commute. They are both quite old and inoffensive so I'll just hope for the best.

Thanks for the police link. I'll check that out.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:29 AM

4,168 posts, read 2,565,712 times
Seven homeless shelters seems pretty high for a small city. Maybe because of the milder winters there. You may have seen the crime rates already, a little above average. But here they are just in case. They are further down on that page.

//www.city-data.com/city/Roseburg-Oregon.html

---------------------------------

Old 01-29-2018, 09:17 AM

44 posts, read 35,867 times
Roseburg does not have seven homeless shelters.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:18 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,299,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
With two dogs you might have a problem finding a place to rent.

Here is a link to the Roseburg Police Department Log> City of Roseburg :: Police Log

There are 7 homeless shelters you can google for the locations. You would not want to live near those. https://www.yellowpages.com/roseburg...eless-shelters
According to your link there are two, the others are on the coast.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:33 AM

731 posts, read 678,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyWinston View Post
Roseburg does not have seven homeless shelters.
I had checked the Yellow Pages. Turns out there are only 5 shelters in Roseburg, not seven. Two are in Coos Bay.

Samaritan Inn
Roseburg Rescue Mission
Casa De Belen
Battered Persons Shelter
Dream Center (day shelter only)

To the OP. I have never lived in Roseburg because I would not want to. Its because of the homeless and the crime. Maybe you could find a country place near Roseburg. I hope so and wish you well.

Last edited by Nurse Bishop; 01-29-2018 at 09:57 AM..

Old 01-29-2018, 10:43 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
As you noted, Roseburg is a bit isolated - once you get south of Eugene, you get sort of a string of small, isolated towns until you get to the Medford - Central Point - Jacksonville - Phoenix - Talent - Ashland area, which is about 210,000 people.

There is a definitely a homeless issue on the west coast and it's particularly bad in the towns along the I-5 corridor, from California through Oregon to Washington. You will see it in any of the cities, usually strongest in a small area of town, but almost always right along the highway.

Medford gets a bad rap for crime but we walk our dog twice a day, early morning and early evening, through Bear Creek Park and have never had an issue in the 5 years we have lived here. But I think, coming from where you are, you will be unpleasantly surprised by the west coast homeless issue.

Also, Roseburg's homeless issue might well be connected to the VA clinic there, the largest in Southern Oregon.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:03 PM

218 posts, read 244,355 times
Roseburg is nice, we almost moved there from K-Falls a while back but decided to stay put for now. Some of our friends moved there in the last few years to be closer to the VA, and they say they like it. Several small communities outside Roseburg worth looking at and housing prices are reasonable. It's sort of a depressed economy now with some of the lumber mills shut down. Which makes buying a house easier. You're only an hour or so from the coast, Coos Bay and Bandon are some of my favorite places to visit. I don't think having tat's or piercings will bother anyone much all the younger people seem to have them. But you're right, some people will treat you the way you look, most people don't care.

I have to say this, is it worth the travel cost for the job your taking? If so, then head on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon