U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2018, 01:18 PM

4 posts, read 2,046 times

Advertisements

We have a choice of these two cities. We enjoy small town living and looking for any input on these as far as schools, daycare, family entertainment, food, crime, real estate, etc.

Unfortunately we may not be able to visit these personally before we must decide.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 02:12 PM

4,252 posts, read 6,462,414 times
Both areas are remote.

Hines and Burns are two adjoining cities. For your purposes you can think of them as one. The combined population is about 4500 people.

Heppner has about 1300 people.

Both are safe. Hines/Burns had a crime spike in 2016, mostly assaults, but that was probably due to the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge occupation. A lot of oddball people came to town.

Old 03-02-2018, 05:02 PM

7,785 posts, read 16,631,767 times
These aren't really small towns, these are tiny towns. Heppner is about 150 miles from Pendleton, Hines is about 120 miles from Bend, about 200 miles from Boise ID.

Heppner has about 2 blocks of "town," a couple diner/fast food places, a small lodge-style restaurant and a coffee shop. I don't think Heppner has an actual grocery store, I think most people drive up to Pendleton for shopping (about 150 miles). It is the county seat (Morrow County) so it does have the courthouse and a small medical facility.

Likewise Burns is the county seat for Harney County. Hines has a Thriftway (regular grocery store) and a Grocery outlet, Burns has a Safeway and a tiny "natural foods" store which, last time I was there, was mostly supplements and boxed foods.

Neither Heppner nor Hines/Burns has a movie theater and you'd have to pick where you lived carefully to make sure you had the internet available to stream movies.

Hines/Burns does have public recreational leagues (volleyball, basketball).

The better schools in Oregon tend to be in the large cities (not all schools in large cities are good, but the better schools are in the large cities), although I don't know anything first-hand about either school district. While there is a community college center in Burns, it is entirely internet "distance learning."

About the best you are going to do is go up on Google and walk the little Goggle "man" around the town to see for yourself.

Old 03-02-2018, 06:40 PM

4,079 posts, read 5,176,916 times
In the entire state of Oregon, THOSE are your only two choices? Seriously?

Old 03-02-2018, 07:52 PM

3,862 posts, read 4,761,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
In the entire state of Oregon, THOSE are your only two choices? Seriously?
Texasdiver......You just don't understand....

Anyway....I went through the same thing in the 1990's and went through eastern Oregon looking for towns I would accept a transfer.

Burns was a nice town. At that time, you can tell that it was a proud community and people cared about it. Reading the news reports from last year, I still get the same sense about Burns. I would have accepted a transfer to Burns.

BTW....there are people leaving Bend and moving to Burns. I would not be surprised that Burns becomes the "new" Bend. I also find the country around Burns much more interesting ecologically and you are much closer to Boise...a great town for weekend "urban" trips for shopping, concerts, etc.

I did go through Heppner last summer. It is really just a wide spot in the road. Burns is small, but at least it is a town. It had a pretty good grocery store, did not see one in Heppner. Heppner is also higher elevation with grassland and timber intermixed. It is a long way to Pendleton. The road is VERY curvy!! Scenery is pretty around there, but I prefer sage to trees.

I had friends that lived in Heppner. They were ok with it, but they lived there in the 1980's.

Burns has the USFWS, BLM and FS in town as well as the Oregon state agencies. Those ranchers also make a decent income. So you end up with more college educated people with higher incomes in Burns than Heppener. It appears that the FS is the only agency in Heppener.

My choice would be Burns hands down. Hope this helps.

Last edited by 509; 03-02-2018 at 08:07 PM..

Old 03-02-2018, 09:03 PM

7,785 posts, read 16,631,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
BTW....there are people leaving Bend and moving to Burns. I would not be surprised that Burns becomes the "new" Bend. I also find the country around Burns much more interesting ecologically and you are much closer to Boise...a great town for weekend "urban" trips for shopping, concerts, etc.
Burns has lost population since 2000. Burns used to be around 3,500, it's now around 2,700. There might be a few people moving out that way, but not enough to offset the number of people leaving (much of that was BLM and USFWS transferring people out and chronic understaffing). The average age is climbing, which usually means people with kids are the ones leaving and retirees are the ones staying.

Old 03-03-2018, 10:47 AM

9,133 posts, read 3,840,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Burns has lost population since 2000. Burns used to be around 3,500, it's now around 2,700. There might be a few people moving out that way, but not enough to offset the number of people leaving (much of that was BLM and USFWS transferring people out and chronic understaffing). The average age is climbing, which usually means people with kids are the ones leaving and retirees are the ones staying.
That is not uncommon for many Oregon towns of that size. Looking at the historical population it looks Burns had a big boom from 1960 to 1980. That was when was at that 3,500 population. The rest of the time the population has been hovering around the 3,000 mark or just under. It actually grew in the 1990s, and since 2010 it's been pretty stable, with just a very slight loss in population.

Old 03-19-2018, 02:14 AM

4 posts, read 2,046 times
Thanks everyone for your answers.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:40 PM

7,626 posts, read 5,322,546 times
Not to pursue a dead duck here, but...

Burns is really in the middle of nowhere. (Some like that)...but seriously it is well over two hours to Bend, and over three hours to Boise. It isn't a bad small town, but as some have mentioned, is not exactly growing. The climate can be harsh with some extreme cold in the winter, and hot summers.

Heppner is somewhat closer to bigger populated areas, as Hermiston is just over an hour away, and the major retail center of Tri-Cities, WA can be reached in under 2 hours. (don't forget that OR exemption for WA sales tax!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon