Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2008, 05:34 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,066 times

Advertisements

A company from Portland has contacted me about possible relocation. We lived there for many, many years and the thought of going back is a bit surprising as we thought we'd never move back. Loved Portland, just never thought it would be an option. We have school-age kids now, they were newborns and toddlers when we left.

My main concerns are schools. I remember so many problems with the schools in Oregon. Any recommendations on school districts to look at, and those to stay away from? We live in Minneapolis where the schools are top notch so we want to get them in as good of schools as possible. Should we consider private? Or is that simply a waste of money?

We lived in Vancouver and on the NE side of town when we lived there before. Would love the west side if the schools are good there. What are commute times from west side and east side to downtown? Right now my commute is just over an hour each way. Kinda grueling! Would be SO nice to live in a smaller city. Love, love, love Minneapolis!! But the commute can wear on a person. Speaking of commutes....here I go again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 09:36 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Speaking of commutes....here I go again.
Now why would that be? Not trying to be too much of a knee biter just a devil's advocate. Seems to me that since you know where the job is going to be you are in a unique position to position yourself in whatever proximity to work you desire. Schools... IMO if you consider what a 'good' schoold districts property taxes are likely to be and you figure out what the tuition at a decent private school will run, well the two aren't that far apart in many cases. In other words, if your job puts you in proximity with an area with so-so public schools then find a private school and call it good. As I said in another post the bottom line is you. A school can only do so much no matter what its reputation. I opted for private school for my kids but I spent hours and hours reading to them doing homework and taking them on field trips.

H

Old 03-25-2008, 10:43 AM

I don't know the schools out there. I don't know which is a good district and which is one to stay away from. My kids were babies at the time so we did not pay attention to that too much. While I lived there for many years I only commuted from Vancouver to NE Portland so I'm not up on what traffic patterns are like going into and out of the city, along with good and not-so-good areas to live.

And you're right, schools can only do so much, and it's up to the parents to come along side. However, at least here in Minnesota we have schools that we know do not perform as well as others. We moved into the house we live in specifically for the school district. Higher taxes are inevitable and I will pay what I need to in order to get in a good district. My kids come first and foremost.

Any helpful advice from you all would be awesome.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:59 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,676,883 times
Quote:
I don't know the schools out there. I don't know which is a good district and which is one to stay away from. My kids were babies at the time so we did not pay attention to that too much. While I lived there for many years I only commuted from Vancouver to NE Portland so I'm not up on what traffic patterns are like going into and out of the city, along with good and not-so-good areas to live.

And you're right, schools can only do so much, and it's up to the parents to come along side. However, at least here in Minnesota we have schools that we know do not perform as well as others. We moved into the house we live in specifically for the school district. Higher taxes are inevitable and I will pay what I need to in order to get in a good district. My kids come first and foremost.

Any helpful advice from you all would be awesome.
I only have exp with sw metro, Wilsonville to be exact but the west linn/wilsonville school district is a good place to start, Oregon City is growing also, these are all in commute of portland proper although aggravating at times. Good luck

Old 03-25-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
I only have exp with sw metro, Wilsonville to be exact but the west linn/wilsonville school district is a good place to start, Oregon City is growing also, these are all in commute of portland proper although aggravating at times. Good luck

Thanks! I remember Wilsonville and really liked it there! It was just beginning to grow when we left. West Linn I remember too. Is that on the spendier side like Lake Oswego?

Old 03-25-2008, 11:38 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,033,769 times
West Linn isn't as spendy as Lake O, but it's pricey. Schools in the southwest corner of the metro area will be good--Tigard/Tualatin, Wilsonville, Sherwood, Lake Oswego, West Linn. Beaverton has some good schools like Sunset. Depending on where you live in these areas I'd say your commute (assuming you're going downtown) would be about half an hour.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:07 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,676,883 times
Quote:
Thanks! I remember Wilsonville and really liked it there! It was just beginning to grow when we left. West Linn I remember too. Is that on the spendier side like Lake Oswego?
You might not even recognize Wilsonville, all the development. I think that the home prices are steady, the old supply vs demand. Wilsonville has its own water treament plant, new schools ect. Being hooked up with West Linn, yes it is pretty pricey now, lots of cash flow, the prior post is correct that parts of Beverton are good but you need to look very carefully. IMO the Portland ps is still in flux and I would be concerned about school closings. Also be aware of the schools in the west side of Washington County, lots of growth but not sure if the schools are keeping .Good luck. BTW I have moved out to Montana so I can afford to keep the two kids at the U of O! Quack attack!

Old 03-26-2008, 10:43 AM

920 posts, read 2,813,645 times
Beaverton has some good schools, and the district bleeds into parts of west Portland. I live in Portland, but within the Beaverton school district. If you're concerned about the commute, you might want to look into areas such as Garden Home or Cedar Hills, as they're closer to downtown Portland than other areas of Beaverton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon