Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 05:07 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times

Advertisements

https://www.earthfiles.com/2018/03/1...uthern-oregon/

Re: SOMETHING’S NOT RIGHT IN SOUTHERN OREGON

This just hit my face book page today and I wonder if other people in Oregon are experiencing this lack of birds and insects this year? Do you think this is a bunch of hogwash doomsdayers? I personally believe that animals can detect natural disasters.

The reason I am asking is that a friend is thinking of taking a road trip along the Oregon coastline this summer.

Quote: "March 19, 2018 Rogue Valley, Oregon – Earthfiles has been receiving worried emails from viewers and listeners who sense that something is significantly wrong in a number of American communities — ranging from absence of insects and pollinators to missing birds. This morning I received the following email from a man who has lived in southwestern Oregon’s Rogue Valley eleven miles north of Medford for 30 years. What he describes in his email are such striking changes around him that he now wonders if a large seismic event is about to happen and the birds at least know in advance."

Quote "Are we about to experience a severe natural disaster? While science has never recognized proof of strange animal behavior prior to a major natural disaster, there has been ample anecdotal input from observers like myself that animals can detect a major natural disaster about to happen.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2018, 08:03 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,670,347 times
My dog used to get very nervous just minutes before a quake, but I suspect the fewer birds might be caused the damage from last summer's wildfires up and down the coast. Just a guess, no educated reasoning behind that.

Old 03-29-2018, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
My dog used to get very nervous just minutes before a quake, but I suspect the fewer birds might be caused the damage from last summer's wildfires up and down the coast. Just a guess, no educated reasoning behind that.
Yes, I never thought of that and you might be right. It's so sad knowing how much wildlife died in those fires (and human lives lost even more)

Old 03-29-2018, 08:56 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
I am sitting at my desk at the moment, looking at bird feeders absolutely encrusted with birds (4 feeders, 4 different types of birds). It hasn't been any different this year.

I think there is a world-wide issue due to pesticides and the food chain, but I haven't seen anything different this year than previous years.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 03-29-2018, 09:06 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Just suggest to your friend to keep half an eye out for tsunami zone signs and tsunami evacuation signs. Only short chunks of the coast are in danger from tsunami waves and even though escape times are fairly short, there is plenty of time to reach higher ground and the whole thing is very obviously marked.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:20 AM

812 posts, read 1,062,281 times
Central Oregon has birds chirping, raptors circling, deer frolicking, dogs barking.
I found a couple of frozen bees, apparently out scouting a bit too early, and I am scratching some sort of bug bite on my ankle.

Seems pretty normal to me.

Old 03-29-2018, 10:25 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Southern Oregon has had a lot of large wildfires over the past few years. I would think it would have more to do with that. I don't think birds nest in burned trees due to lack of protection from raptors. Babies would be easy targets for those birds without the leaf cover to hide them.

Old 03-30-2018, 02:32 AM

Thanks for answering everyone. I hope there will be no devastating fires this summer! (and no earthquakes or tsunamis either of course)

Why wouldn't those people (mentioned in the article) have thought about the fires causing the lack of birds and insects? It only makes sense.

Old 03-30-2018, 08:11 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,300,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Thanks for answering everyone. I hope there will be no devastating fires this summer! (and no earthquakes or tsunamis either of course)

Why wouldn't those people (mentioned in the article) have thought about the fires causing the lack of birds and insects? It only makes sense.
It doesn't fit the narrative.

Old 03-30-2018, 08:57 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post

Because it is so much less dramatic and they are hoping for the end of the world to prove that they have been right all along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon