Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 01:58 PM

89 posts, read 216,477 times

Advertisements

Silverwood Park in Idaho is like 6-7 hours away in Athol I believe and in Washington and Oregon you basically have wild waves a small theme park, oaks park a small theme park, and a great wolf lodge in grand mound. I know the weather in the northwest is not the greatest but for the Portland/Seattle to support a theme park as big as Silverwood is would be nice. Or if oaks park in Oregon has some sort of future expansion maybe their isn’t room. The adrenaline rush coaster was a nice addition this year. Too bad if that would be their last one built as thrilling as that one. I think oaks could expand in the 2020’s and wild waves in federal way,wa. If this region fails to get a new theme park in the near future. Nothing hasn’t even been planned in the past few years. Their is space to build. But it is very dead in the northwest region not talking about Idaho either just saying. They can go indoors perhaps not sure why that idea hasn’t been talked about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2018, 04:01 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
Not unless it was entirely indoor - and the way land use laws work in Oregon, I doubt you'd find a big enough of a parcel to build it.

There have been several small parks over the years and most of them are all out of business - not enough interest. Given the big ones in California that are a day's drive (and a small fortune in admission fees) it probably isn't worth the trouble.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 04-14-2018, 06:17 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
I don't think it will ever happen because there are too many other options in the NW for outdoor recreation.

As a former Texas resident I can tell you the reason why places like Sea World and Six Flags are so popular in Texas is because there is basically no place else to take your kids on a Saturday except perhaps the zoo. No nearby beaches, mediocre state parks that are few and far between, no mountains, very few trails, no skiing, etc. etc.

Same reason why there are a lot of 100,000 seat football stadiums in the south. What else are you going to do on a fall Saturday in Central TX? You have to drive 500 miles to get to anything like mountains or wilderness.

Old 04-14-2018, 06:30 PM

1,517 posts, read 989,335 times
Is Enchanted Forest still open?

Old 04-14-2018, 06:42 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
Is Enchanted Forest still open?
Yes.

Welcome to Enchanted Forest _Enchanted Forest Theme Park

Old 04-14-2018, 07:04 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
I don't think it will ever happen because there are too many other options in the NW for outdoor recreation.

As a former Texas resident I can tell you the reason why places like Sea World and Six Flags are so popular in Texas is because there is basically no place else to take your kids on a Saturday except perhaps the zoo. No nearby beaches, mediocre state parks that are few and far between, no mountains, very few trails, no skiing, etc. etc.

Same reason why there are a lot of 100,000 seat football stadiums in the south. What else are you going to do on a fall Saturday in Central TX? You have to drive 500 miles to get to anything like mountains or wilderness.
I agree. People move here because they want to go hiking, rafting, etc. They don't move here for those types of things.

Old 04-14-2018, 07:29 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Great Wolf Lodge is about as big as it will get in Western WA due to the rain. I still don’t know how Wild Waves makes it being open only May-August, plus weekends in September.

Old 04-15-2018, 04:06 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
A big theme park would have to be within the urban growth boundary of a city. It might be possible, depending on how the LCDC hearings and the lawsuit go. Wildlife Safari is probably the state's biggest, but there is no roller coaster.

Old 04-15-2018, 01:32 PM

1,517 posts, read 989,335 times
Not really a "theme park" but Alderbrook (a ways north of Hockinson) is open to the public during the week now, weather permitting, so their schedule tends to be a bit erratic. They started doing that about a year ago.

[url]http://alderbrookparkevents.com/[/url]

Old 04-15-2018, 06:42 PM

908 posts, read 1,660,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouristExplorer281 View Post
Silverwood Park in Idaho is like 6-7 hours away in Athol I believe and in Washington and Oregon you basically have wild waves a small theme park, oaks park a small theme park, and a great wolf lodge in grand mound. I know the weather in the northwest is not the greatest but for the Portland/Seattle to support a theme park as big as Silverwood is would be nice. Or if oaks park in Oregon has some sort of future expansion maybe their isn’t room. The adrenaline rush coaster was a nice addition this year. Too bad if that would be their last one built as thrilling as that one. I think oaks could expand in the 2020’s and wild waves in federal way,wa. If this region fails to get a new theme park in the near future. Nothing hasn’t even been planned in the past few years. Their is space to build. But it is very dead in the northwest region not talking about Idaho either just saying. They can go indoors perhaps not sure why that idea hasn’t been talked about.
it's not really a NW thing. in general we are far more nature oriented, and theme parks are so very plastic and artificial. We have so much nature around us, it's kind of hokey and second rate to build some manmade thing for thrills. The one time per year people care to try "rides", is usually at the county fairs. Just not that appealing, when you have things like rafting down the rivers etc. Theme parks are for bored people who don't have the huge expanse of good natural attractions like we do in Oregon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon