Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 10:40 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,438,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Thank you everyone, who recently gave input, both the good and the bad. W

e currently live in an area on the Front Range of Colorado, which is becoming more and more sprawling with continual growth, traffic, cookie cutter subdivisions going up and the like. We have our second place in a town of 1200 and get to it as often as possible, but typically rent it out as a vacation rental.

Now that we both work from home, our original plan has been to relocate to the second home (cabin), but the heat all over the state is becoming very oppressive to me and I am finding myself less active in the summer. I enjoy cool and even cold weather and feel invigorated by wind, clouds etc.

As far as being distant from 'civilization', we do not really like to socialize and prefer to be alone. We spend all our free time outdoors hiking and we rarely go out to dinner or that sort of thing, and the town of 1200 where our cabin is is pretty remote.

We are 38 and 33 btw and in good health.

We do plan to visit and spend some time in Jan or Feb to try to get a feel for continuous clouds. Most likely, if we were to do this in a few years, and we aren't going to rush it, we would probably spend winters in Colorado, which are really just about perfect for me - I feel comfortable in short sleeves in 40 degree dry weather, and summers there.

So, cool, rainy, remote and private are really sounding quite good to me at this point, but then again, the grass is always greener isn't it? Thank you everyone, and we will certainly not rush things!
In that case, the Crescent City, CA, area could suit you really well. It has everything you are looking for, and is very affordable. For more upscale entertainment and restaurants (but still pretty modest) you can always drive 30 minutes to Brookings, OR.

As far as beautiful places to hike, without a lot of people around, it really can't be beat. The giant redwoods are just beyond belief. I do suggest getting one of these, for when you want to stop and sit in peace without mosquitos:

https://www.target.com/p/thermacell-...r/-/A-52897821

I used to take one with me when I hiked, and there was a secluded bench I like to sit on, and I'd fire up the thermacell mosquito repeller and it would create a force-field that mosquitos wouldn't enter. Then, you can enjoy the woods in peace.

No worries at the beach, as the wind keeps the bugs away.

Lots of gorgeous places to hike with very few people. And, dog friendly. I do miss that about that area.

My saying while living there was "It ain't too hot, and it ain't snowin" when I'd get unhappy with the weather. It literally is never too hot and never horribly too cold. That is an upside for sure, as all things are relative.

Best of luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 04:27 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,373,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
In that case, the Crescent City, CA, area could suit you really well. It has everything you are looking for, and is very affordable. For more upscale entertainment and restaurants (but still pretty modest) you can always drive 30 minutes to Brookings, OR.

As far as beautiful places to hike, without a lot of people around, it really can't be beat. The giant redwoods are just beyond belief. I do suggest getting one of these, for when you want to stop and sit in peace without mosquitos:

https://www.target.com/p/thermacell-...r/-/A-52897821

I used to take one with me when I hiked, and there was a secluded bench I like to sit on, and I'd fire up the thermacell mosquito repeller and it would create a force-field that mosquitos wouldn't enter. Then, you can enjoy the woods in peace.

No worries at the beach, as the wind keeps the bugs away.

Lots of gorgeous places to hike with very few people. And, dog friendly. I do miss that about that area.

My saying while living there was "It ain't too hot, and it ain't snowin" when I'd get unhappy with the weather. It literally is never too hot and never horribly too cold. That is an upside for sure, as all things are relative.

Best of luck to you.
Thank you, I will check out Crescent City. It does sound exactly what we're looking for, with regards to weather, nature, quietness and dog friendly.

And, thank you for the tips on the mosquitoes - one things we like about Colorado is that there are pretty much non bugs.

We plan to drive down to Eureka on our trip before shooting back to Colorado from there, so it will be directly on our path.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Thank you, I will check out Crescent City. It does sound exactly what we're looking for, with regards to weather, nature, quietness and dog friendly.

And, thank you for the tips on the mosquitoes - one things we like about Colorado is that there are pretty much non bugs.

We plan to drive down to Eureka on our trip before shooting back to Colorado from there, so it will be directly on our path.
Perfect. I don't know if I already mentioned it on this trip, but for a nice place to stay in that area, the Best Western in Brookings, OR (just about 30 minutes north of Crescent City) is really nice and right on the water.

Location-wise, I think the nicest place in Crescent City is Oceanfront Lodge at 100 A Street, Crescent City, 95531. It is also right next to the water, and you can walk downtown. The beachfront park is basically across the street, too. You could also walk to the lighthouse. If you go to the lighthouse, be sure and check the tides and open hours. You can only reach it at low tide. And when the tide is out, you do have to walk across a gravel bar and up a fairly steep hill to the lighthouse - so it's not an easy walk, FYI.

I have never stayed in either of the hotels I mentioned, so check the reviews.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Perfect. I don't know if I already mentioned it on this trip, but for a nice place to stay in that area, the Best Western in Brookings, OR (just about 30 minutes north of Crescent City) is really nice and right on the water.

Location-wise, I think the nicest place in Crescent City is Oceanfront Lodge at 100 A Street, Crescent City, 95531. It is also right next to the water, and you can walk downtown. The beachfront park is basically across the street, too. You could also walk to the lighthouse. If you go to the lighthouse, be sure and check the tides and open hours. You can only reach it at low tide. And when the tide is out, you do have to walk across a gravel bar and up a fairly steep hill to the lighthouse - so it's not an easy walk, FYI.

I have never stayed in either of the hotels I mentioned, so check the reviews.
Thank you very much, you've been a big help and I look forward to checking out the area while we're on the coast.

Old 06-15-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Thank you very much, you've been a big help and I look forward to checking out the area while we're on the coast.
Have a wonderful time. It's a very beautiful place. It just wasn't for me.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:44 AM

After a few weeks of 90's, hot and dry weather, we've had a drizzly, cloudy few days and I feel really invigorated. I love being out in the rain and not feeling hot and sweaty.

Old 06-18-2018, 03:44 PM

317 posts, read 306,939 times
Quote:
After a few weeks of 90's, hot and dry weather, we've had a drizzly, cloudy few days and I feel really invigorated. I love being out in the rain and not feeling hot and sweaty.
Sounds lovely!

Old 07-09-2018, 08:47 PM

659 posts, read 830,225 times
Default First Row

Why do you recommend this, tsunamis, rising sea levels or the occasional storm that washed out the first row of homes.? Was looking to buy a small motel or inn on the sea front, but curious as to the issues that come with that.

30 feet would certainly be clear of a large Tsunami, although erosion could still be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Avoid the first row of beach homes facing the ocean. Stay about 30+ feet above mean high tide level. Find a place with 2 access roads to the Valley cities.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:32 AM

4,560 posts, read 2,967,835 times
for places where the temperature is moderate year-round, another top contender is Washington State's Olympic Peninsula (the main towns there are Port Angeles, Sequim and Port Townsend). NoMoreShowForMe has already told you about northern California's Del Norte county; it's neighbor Humboldt County is also a place where the temperature rarely gets too warm (provided you stay near the coast!)... Eureka and Arcata are the main towns there.

komonews.com/weather/scotts-weather-blog/its-true-port-angeles-is-the-coolest-town-on-west-coast

Old 07-10-2018, 01:44 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,651,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forzalugano View Post
Why do you recommend this, tsunamis, rising sea levels or the occasional storm that washed out the first row of homes.? Was looking to buy a small motel or inn on the sea front, but curious as to the issues that come with that.

30 feet would certainly be clear of a large Tsunami, although erosion could still be an issue.
30 feet would be above a moderate tsunami. The ones in Japan sometimes reached 50 feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon