Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 05:40 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,352,863 times

Advertisements

Hello:

I'm beginning a search for a place with a climate that stays fairly moderate year round. I'm currently located in Colorado and the heat is becoming very oppressive to me. It's nice having the aridity, especially compared to wet heat I grew up with in the Midwest, but I've now grown tired of the aridity + heat and would like to find a climate where it rarely gets above 75. I do not mind cold weather, even wet cold, but cannot tolerate the heat in any form many more years I feel.

My research has pointed me towards the coastal region of Oregon, although I also don't mind being a bit inland either.

Besides the more moderate climate (I also do not mind overcast and moisture), I require:

~Access to dog friendly hiking and nature, the more options the better.
~Not looking for a trendy or yuppie area, but a more down to earth area.
~Do not mind if the area is a bit gritty.
~Small town without a lot of fast-paced growth.
~Do not require much shopping or that sort of thing. Travel 1+ hour to a larger grocery store and such is fine.
~We both work from home, so jobs aren't important.
~We do need reliable Internet.
~Would purchase a place for a max of $400k, preferably with a few acres.
~Should be gay friendly, although we aren't looking for a gay area.

I plan to spend a few weeks in a few spots this coming summer as well as a few weeks next winter to get a feel, but obviously cannot go everywhere all at once. Can anyone point me towards some areas, where I can refine my search a bit?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 05:58 PM

13,005 posts, read 7,382,083 times
Pacific City and surrounding area. Terminus of Intel fiber. How that translate to downstream internet speeds is unknown. However, cable and DSL are available. Lots of places of <400k.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:54 PM

32,527 posts, read 47,575,618 times
Take your choice. Just about any little town or village on the coast will meet your wish list. ( there are no big towns on the coast)

Try Newport. If you want smaller go south to Waldport. If you want even smaller, a couple of miles further south is Yachats. There are a couple of good long Sandy beaches just south of Newport for dog walks. There are hiking trails everywhere on the coast.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:10 PM

13,005 posts, read 7,382,083 times
Avoid the first row of beach homes facing the ocean. Stay about 30+ feet above mean high tide level. Find a place with 2 access roads to the Valley cities.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:17 PM

15,238 posts, read 8,845,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Hello:

I'm beginning a search for a place with a climate that stays fairly moderate year round. I'm currently located in Colorado and the heat is becoming very oppressive to me. It's nice having the aridity, especially compared to wet heat I grew up with in the Midwest, but I've now grown tired of the aridity + heat and would like to find a climate where it rarely gets above 75. I do not mind cold weather, even wet cold, but cannot tolerate the heat in any form many more years I feel.

My research has pointed me towards the coastal region of Oregon, although I also don't mind being a bit inland either.

Besides the more moderate climate (I also do not mind overcast and moisture), I require:

~Access to dog friendly hiking and nature, the more options the better.
~Not looking for a trendy or yuppie area, but a more down to earth area.
~Do not mind if the area is a bit gritty.
~Small town without a lot of fast-paced growth.
~Do not require much shopping or that sort of thing. Travel 1+ hour to a larger grocery store and such is fine.
~We both work from home, so jobs aren't important.
~We do need reliable Internet.
~Would purchase a place for a max of $400k, preferably with a few acres.
~Should be gay friendly, although we aren't looking for a gay area.

I plan to spend a few weeks in a few spots this coming summer as well as a few weeks next winter to get a feel, but obviously cannot go everywhere all at once. Can anyone point me towards some areas, where I can refine my search a bit?

Thank you!
With two weeks you can easily visit everywhere on the Coast. Which is what I would recommend you do. Travel the entire Coast from Astoria down to Brookings. Visit every single town along the Coast as well as those slightly inland, up to 20 miles.

Make a list of your favorite places. Then when you come back in the Winter plan to spend more time just in those places, to get a better feel of them. The summer will be perfect for you. The real question will be how you do with the Winter here.

It sounds like the North Coast might be the best fit for you. But definitely visit the Central and South Coast too, to be sure.

Old 06-05-2018, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
With two weeks you can easily visit everywhere on the Coast. Which is what I would recommend you do. Travel the entire Coast from Astoria down to Brookings. Visit every single town along the Coast as well as those slightly inland, up to 20 miles.

Make a list of your favorite places. Then when you come back in the Winter plan to spend more time just in those places, to get a better feel of them. The summer will be perfect for you. The real question will be how you do with the Winter here.

It sounds like the North Coast might be the best fit for you. But definitely visit the Central and South Coast too, to be sure.
I do plan to travel the entire length of the coast in summer, but won't be able to 'see' every place in that time, spending time trying to get to know and understand each place. But, at least I can view all of it I suppose.

You said the North Coast might be a better fit? Could you elaborate as to why? Thank you!

Also, thank you everyone else for your input so far!

Old 06-05-2018, 07:20 AM

15,238 posts, read 8,845,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
I do plan to travel the entire length of the coast in summer, but won't be able to 'see' every place in that time, spending time trying to get to know and understand each place. But, at least I can view all of it I suppose.

You said the North Coast might be a better fit? Could you elaborate as to why? Thank you!

Also, thank you everyone else for your input so far!
You don't mind wet cold weather but don't want any summer heat. That sounds like the North Coast. But don't limit yourself to the North Coast. Visit the entire Coast. There are only about 40 towns on the entire Oregon Coast, to choose from. You can visit them all in a few weeks.

Old 06-05-2018, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
You don't mind wet cold weather but don't want any summer heat. That sounds like the North Coast. But don't limit yourself to the North Coast. Visit the entire Coast. There are only about 40 towns on the entire Oregon Coast, to choose from. You can visit them all in a few weeks.
Thank you for the tip. The weather sounds great!

Old 06-05-2018, 09:43 AM

859 posts, read 1,053,369 times
DO NOT underestimate the need to tolerate A LOT of rain, Nov. thru March. That includes several storms.
Houses take a beating here.

Last edited by wolfdog; 06-05-2018 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: clarity

Old 06-05-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdog View Post
DO NOT underestimate the need to tolerate A LOT of rain, Nov. thru March. That includes several storms.
Houses take a beating here.
Thank you and that seems like sound advice. I have given much thought to the rain and dampness as far as toleration, so will plan to spend a few weeks in the winter, getting somewhat of a feel for it.

I will also do my due diligence concerning the impact such weather has on a house as well and factor that into a decision.

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon