Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 11:18 AM

2 posts, read 2,243 times

Advertisements

I am in my late twenties and moving to Oregon for work very soon. I am originally from the East Coast and have lived in many different places for various positions, my most recent home being Utah. However, I know very little of the Pacific Northwest and was looking for some advice about where to move relative to Coos Bay, where my job will be based out of. My job will pay pretty minimally, so I am looking to rent somewhere that is relatively cheap, but safe!

I have heard the area is beautiful, rainy in the winter, and mostly retirees. I would prefer not to commute too far for work but would like to live somewhere I will enjoy. I love the ocean, hiking/camping, exploring, but will be moving by myself so I am looking for somewhere I can easily get involved in the community.

Any advice/information would be so so helpful! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 11:33 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
Most people wouldn't move to a place where they've never been. I hope it meets your expectations.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:08 PM

679 posts, read 877,108 times
Congratulations on your continuing westward trek away from the east coast. If you love natural beauty, being outdoors, spending time in verdant forests, you will probably like the Oregon coast.

I have found it easier to become involved in the community and make friends here than both Portland and Jacksonville (Oregon).

Enjoy your time on the coast! At your age, I’m sure it won’t be the last place you land!

Old 07-03-2018, 02:49 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadic sea lover View Post
I am in my late twenties and moving to Oregon for work very soon. I am originally from the East Coast and have lived in many different places for various positions, my most recent home being Utah. However, I know very little of the Pacific Northwest and was looking for some advice about where to move relative to Coos Bay, where my job will be based out of. My job will pay pretty minimally, so I am looking to rent somewhere that is relatively cheap, but safe!

I have heard the area is beautiful, rainy in the winter, and mostly retirees. I would prefer not to commute too far for work but would like to live somewhere I will enjoy. I love the ocean, hiking/camping, exploring, but will be moving by myself so I am looking for somewhere I can easily get involved in the community.

Any advice/information would be so so helpful! Thanks!
Since your pay will be minimal, whatever you can find. If you can't find a rental you can afford (which you probably won't), I suggest, you buy a van and park it down by Bastendorff Beach with the other homeless people.

Old 07-03-2018, 04:09 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Coos Bay rental price don't look all that prohibitive to me. What's "minimal" to a professional person probably differs from your definition.

You might consider Coquille; I have a good friend there who likes it, and I see a lot of rentals advertised at reasonable prices.

Old 07-03-2018, 04:54 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Coos Bay rental price don't look all that prohibitive to me. What's "minimal" to a professional person probably differs from your definition.

You might consider Coquille; I have a good friend there who likes it, and I see a lot of rentals advertised at reasonable prices.
A professional job with minimal pay in Coos Bay is typically a Walmart sales associate position. Real professionals do not work for minimal pay. Minimal pay is the big clue. Minimal pay = minimum wage job. No way is the OP going to be afford Coquille. But good luck to them trying anyway. When that doesn't work, they can move into a van parked down by Bastendorff Beach, with all the other minimum wage young professionals.

Old 07-03-2018, 05:10 PM

Whoa. Walmart cashiering may be your idea of a professional job, but I think most people have different standards.

You're probably conflating "minimal pay" with minimum wage, but the first is highly subjective and the other is an absolute. He/she may make "minimal" pay for whatever the profession is but isn't necessarily making minimum wage. I really doubt ANYONE moves to Coos Bay or anywhere else for a minimum wage job.

If the OP can afford Utah, he can afford Coos Bay and certainly Coquille.

https://oregoncoast.craigslist.org/a...616937917.html

SMH.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-03-2018 at 05:49 PM..

Old 07-03-2018, 05:49 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Find a place to rent in Coos Bay or North Bend near your work. Then you can explore the area and figure out for yourself if there are other nearby towns you might prefer. Frankly there are no other towns of any size within commuting distance of Coos Bay that would interest a young single person. Coos Bay or the neighboring town of North Bend are your best bets. The only other alternatives are old logging towns/mill up in the mountains or small beach towns to the south of Coos Bay.

Old 07-03-2018, 11:10 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Whoa. Walmart cashiering may be your idea of a professional job, but I think most people have different standards.

You're probably conflating "minimal pay" with minimum wage, but the first is highly subjective and the other is an absolute. He/she may make "minimal" pay for whatever the profession is but isn't necessarily making minimum wage. I really doubt ANYONE moves to Coos Bay or anywhere else for a minimum wage job.
I would guess the real answer lies somewhere in between. With a median income of $43K, Coos Bay is not the place for high wages to begin with. No one is going to tell their actual income on a public forum. I know I wouldn't. So it's probably better to ask what a person's budget might be, maybe ~ $700-900/month, more or less?

Derek

Old 07-04-2018, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
I would guess the real answer lies somewhere in between. With a median income of $43K, Coos Bay is not the place for high wages to begin with. No one is going to tell their actual income on a public forum. I know I wouldn't. So it's probably better to ask what a person's budget might be, maybe ~ $700-900/month, more or less?

Derek
Lies somewhere in between what? All I said was that it's likely the guy has more to work with than minimum wage. Never claimed Coos Bay was a high wage mecca, but by the same token, rents aren't California high. Lack of vacancies this time of year might be an issue though.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-04-2018 at 12:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon