Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 09:00 PM

7,258 posts, read 4,627,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacefae View Post
Do you get hurricaines often on the West Coast?
Hurricanes like warm waters, around 78 degrees F or higher usually, US west coast is colder so as was mentioned no hurricanes. Remnants of them may help bring some rain into South CA, or AZ, NM, NV, etc. though occasionally. As previous post mentioned there are other weather systems that can bring strong storms into the West coast though, but they're not hurricanes.

I saw you had also recently posted question about hurricanes in se VA forum, so you may want to check out the hurricane climatology page from NHC...scroll towards the bottom to 'Hurricane Return Periods' and the images show how often hurricanes hit the east coast (or 'average' return period). May be of some use to you (again just averages) here: https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/climo/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 09:59 PM

5,442 posts, read 7,735,145 times
Hurricanes rarely make it north of Mexico on the Pacific Coast. They are generated by warm waters and travel east to west along with the prevailing trade winds, so aren’t going to ever hit the PNW. If they get north enough in the Atlantic they will get out of the trade winds and catch the prevailing westerlies which turn them back east. But that doesn’t happen in the Pacific near Oregon because the water is too cold.

The ones that reach the West Coast of Mexico are those that originate in the Gulf, cross over Mexico, and then turn north. But they never make it past Mexico because the water is too cold.

Here are all the hurricane tracks for the past several decades

All of these storms are classified as tropical cyclones. Those that originate in the Atlantic are called Hurricanes, even those that wrap around and hit the West Coast of Mexico because they originate in the Atlantic or Gulf. Those that originate in the western Pacific are called Typhoons. Those that originate in the Indian Ocean are called Cyclones.

That said, the North Pacific does frequently experience winter storms with hurricane force winds (over 74 mph) but that doesn’t make them actual hurricanes, they are just winter storms. Happens all winter long in the Bering Sea and Gulf of Alaska and sometime off the Oregon Coast too.

Fun fact. Notice no hurricanes ever occur at the equator? That’s because the Coriolis Force doesn’t exist at the equator so there is no force causing the hurricane to spin up clockwise as in the Southern Hemisphere or counterclockwise as in the northern hemisphere. Hurricanes fall apart if they approach the equator.

Last edited by texasdiver; 07-24-2018 at 10:20 PM..

Old 07-24-2018, 10:03 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
We do get major rain/wind events. Not often though. The one I will always remember was the Columbus Day storm. 100 MPH winds and heavy rain. I think that was in 1962. Nothing at all like the coastal south.

I was living in Coos Bay when that storm hit. Yes, it was 1962. We lived right on the hiway to Charleston and the bay across the road. My husband was a volunteer fireman and was out in it. Scary thing.

Old 07-25-2018, 09:55 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I was living in Coos Bay when that storm hit. Yes, it was 1962. We lived right on the hiway to Charleston and the bay across the road. My husband was a volunteer fireman and was out in it. Scary thing.
I heard they clocked wind at 170 mph on top of Hebo. In the valley it was more like gusts to 100-120 mph. Anybody who could climb a ladder got a job as a roofer. Our power was out for 2 weeks, though I think people in town got power back quicker.

I remember a lot of weather events. There was the Christmas Flood of 1964, the big drought of 1976-1977 when Bull Run almost ran out of water, and the ice storms of the late '70s with exploding transformers everywhere. Things seem to have calmed down in recent years, but there have been some whopping big coastal storms. I have seen the ocean tossing house sized boulders around on the Columbia south jetty. I also saw houses on the beach as the ocean ate a neighborhood in Newport. Coos Bay is far enough inland for that to not happen there.

Old 08-05-2018, 10:12 AM

661 posts, read 833,210 times
Water us too cold, tropical cyclones are like giant engines that use warm, moist air as fuel. That is why they form only over warm ocean waters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon