Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 02:47 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times

Advertisements

I think it's pretty important to realize that the old-school Republicans like McPherson and McCall, both of whom shaped Oregon in a big way, aren't much like their modern counterparts.

Other than that, OP, I think you're SOL. Maybe Northern Cal, but you want cheap...so idk. Eureka Springs, Arkansas? I would also suggest you look at Spokane, but I have no idea of what rents are like there.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 09-05-2018 at 03:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 08:34 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
I see over 20 apartments in Eureka, CA for under $1,000, so seems like a plan... (not gonna find much of that in OR. )

hotpads
Padmapper

Old 09-06-2018, 06:32 AM

218 posts, read 244,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Let's not side-track this into a discussion of Oregon politics and politics in general. Yes, the OP started it, but there is a lot to address in the first post OTHER than politics. Posts discussing only politics or discussing other poster's political comments (or other posters) will be removed.
Good point. Politics change over time with people moving to new areas taking their ideas with them, also, economy, new laws and public opinion changes too. 20 years ago I would have never guessed there would be 100's of people growing Pot in green houses where I live. Some legal and some not. That's just one example of change, good or bad depending on your perspective. I think some people are afraid to move to an area where they may not fit in. When I moved to Oregon 40 years ago, I sure didn't fit in to the community but I made the best of it. Today I think things have changed to the better and I was a small part of it. Those who are afraid to take risk have nothing to gain.

Old 09-06-2018, 06:42 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
Corvallis or some of the towns around it are worth a look, though the full effect deep forest you like will be a modest drive away. Corvallis is still near Eugene but also closer to Portland. If you like Eugene, parts of Springfield could give you more "peace" and yet still quick access to Eugene. Springfield would be closer to the hills & mountains than Corvallis.

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-06-2018 at 06:55 PM..

Old 09-07-2018, 02:57 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
I agree with the moderator. This is getting way to political. To answer the OP directly:

1) Redwoods are mostly a Northern California thing. There are a few in Oregon. Highway 199 from Grants Pass southwest is called the Redwood Highway, I think mostly because it ends up in California. Boreal forests are found in the far north. The only boreal forests in Oregon are at high elevations in the Cascades. There are pine forests east of the Cascades in Central Oregon, then Juniper and Pinyon pine in dryer areas. In Western Oregon forests are ubiquitous. If you don't mow your lawn for 10 years you will have the beginnings of a forest. Trees will colonize any land that is not cleared often. Portland's Forest Park is 5000 acres of old growth inside the city limits, though people have infested it with English Ivy, which will kill it eventually. Probably not in our lifetime, but ivy smothers seedlings. New trees are not being born, and trees do not live forever. Anywhere along rivers or streams, you will find the original pre-human cottonwood, alder, ash, maple broadleaf forest. A large percentage of the state is government land, so there are a myriad places to go hiking, but you will generally need transportation to get there. Nobody runs a bus line to a forest.

2) Affordable rent is hard to come by in Oregon, even with a high minimum wage. Portland is insane, and every desirable community in the state is feeling the pressure of a housing shortage. In Roseburg, generally considered pretty rural, I was talking to an RN who moved here with her husband, who was recruited by Roseburg Forest Products as an industrial electrician. Between the two of them they had a substantial income and would be considered very desirable tenants, but they had to live in a motel for a month before they could move into an apartment.

3) Hippies were 50 years ago. The biggest hippie celebration in the state is the Oregon Country Fair, which happens every year the weekend after the 4th of July. Eugene also has a nice Saturday Market where crafties sell their stuff. If you want subcultures, learn to speak Spanish. The vibes you get depend on who you associate with. Hay buenas personas y malas personas donde sea que vayas.

4) Hippie culture is not a big engine of economic growth, so the economic growth you are looking for will be more button down. Marijuana is not a big issue. People who smoke it smoke it, those who don't, don't. You can go weeks with no mention of pot in the news. Ditch the liberal and conservative labels and work on personal politics. Oregonians are generally not big on riots.

5) Oregon weather is almost always perfect, except in the summer when it gets excessively hot and dry.

6) I have a bear sow and cub living in my back yard that never causes any trouble.

7) Oregon doesn't have much in the way of cities. Hmmm. Try Silverton.

8) Oregon doesn't need much AC. In a well insulated house, you may not need it at all, or just a window shaker. I live in an area generally considered warm, but haven't had my AC on in 2 weeks. Open the windows at night and let the house cool off, close the windows in the morning. Right now it's quarter to two in the afternoon, 82 degrees outside, 69 degrees inside, and the front door has been open for hours to let the dogs go in and out as they like. Internet depends on where you live. Don't believe provider maps, they lie. Talk to the neighbors, and check to make sure the house is wired for cable. If it's not wired, it probably won't be. They are starting to build out 5G in Oregon, so wireless may be an option. Almost everywhere has 4G service now. Ashland has city internet and everyone has FIOS, but rent in Ashland is even more than Portland. Get out of the city limits and you are in DSL Hell. Most small towns have some form of cable, but I was talking to a guy just two days ago who tried to get Century to string 80 feet of cable to his house and they refused. Of course you can always go satellite, but the ping penalty is huge. No online gaming and even video conferencing is a PITA.

Old 09-07-2018, 06:22 PM

218 posts, read 244,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Let's not side-track this into a discussion of Oregon politics and politics in general. Yes, the OP started it, but there is a lot to address in the first post OTHER than politics. Posts discussing only politics or discussing other poster's political comments (or other posters) will be removed.
So much for free speech.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:39 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Z View Post
So much for free speech.
I'm not disagreeing with your statement, but there was quite a bit of leeway given in that post. As long as you respond directly to the OP, and not to other posters, and you address some other non-political points as well, me thinks you should be OK to give your 2¢.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:44 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Z View Post
So much for free speech.

This is a privately owned website with a TOS that you agreed to when you signed up. You don't actually have "free speech" rights in someone else's "internet living room."

You might actually read the TOS:
//www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 09-09-2018, 12:01 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Seems very simple based on your MUST list...

"Arcata/Eureka CA"

You would be surprised at some VERY affordable rents in regions of northern CA. And very ez to join up with a commune / shared living / IC. https://www.ic.org/

Also very EZ in NoCA to enjoy the lifestyle you seem to cherish.

Oregon is quite a bit more 'demanding' on that lifestyle, but CA embraces it.
Low rents and to be near services, look into Samoa and Fairhaven CA
Arcata has a bit more high rent due to college. (but is very nice)

Crescent City and north if you have some desire to be near OR (not sure why?) All you desire is in NoCA.

Sounds like a PERFECT FIT!
I second this post

Old 09-10-2018, 01:48 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Seems very simple based on your MUST list...

"Arcata/Eureka CA"

You would be surprised at some VERY affordable rents in regions of northern CA. And very ez to join up with a commune / shared living / IC. https://www.ic.org/

Also very EZ in NoCA to enjoy the lifestyle you seem to cherish.

Oregon is quite a bit more 'demanding' on that lifestyle, but CA embraces it.
Low rents and to be near services, look into Samoa and Fairhaven CA
Arcata has a bit more high rent due to college. (but is very nice)

Crescent City and north if you have some desire to be near OR (not sure why?) All you desire is in NoCA.

Sounds like a PERFECT FIT!
Interesting comment. I know a lot of old-time hippies that were part of the Back To The Land movement of the '70s. Many of them settled in Josephine County, a major Libertarian zone in Oregon. Most of them didn't make it, but some did. I only know of one commune from that era that is still going strong, a gay men's commune near Wolf Creek. Homesteading in a 100% rural area is a lot of work. The hangers-on dropped like last year's leaves. The people who are left established cottage businesses, like contracting, car repair, custom mail-order in niche markets not served by corporate America, etc.

It would be very difficult to find a "hippie vibe" in the area, unless you define it as people who smoke weed. It's a big outdoor pot growing area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon