Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 04:32 PM

26,486 posts, read 36,338,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlehman21 View Post
\The main question i had was is there any other area's you recommend that i might like to move to? even possible area's in Washington?

Looking for places similar to GP - Mountains ,green, around 200 sunny days, less then 40in rain yr, outdoor activities.

Thanks,

-Travis
Maybe consider the Olympic Peninsula.

Olympic Rain Shadow - Information and Resources

Quote:
The Olympic Rain Shadow is a small region northwest of the city of Seattle which experiences significantly dryer and brighter weather than surrounding locations.
Personally, the smoke in Grants Pass/Medford would be a deal breaker for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 04:34 PM

40 posts, read 56,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Nope, Grants Pass and Medford have more sunny days than Bend (despite the Bend Chamber of Commerce claiming 300 days of sun, which is not true). City-wise, small Lakeview has the most sunny days in Oregon (areas to the east have more sun but there aren't many cities east of Lakeview).

From the Western Regional Climate Center, sun/part sun
Astoria: 105
Portland: 142
Bend: 168
Medford: 196
Klamath Falls: 210 (for the 8 summers we lived near there, my weather station averaged 218, so it was pretty close)
Lakeview: 225

they define sun/part sun as more than 30% of the sky clear for daylight hours.
I agree, i lived in bend for a while and no way they get 300 days of sun. Both area's get enough sun for me i just like GP area much more because its greener. Also i can deal with snow but the winters in Bend do get pretty freezing!

Old 10-31-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Maybe consider the Olympic Peninsula.

Olympic Rain Shadow - Information and Resources

Personally, the smoke in Grants Pass/Medford would be a deal breaker for me.
Thanks for the suggestion. I've researched that area a little before and although it seems to be much drier the amount of actual sunny days seems low. a lot of cloudy days from what iv heard.

Yes the smoke will be definitively a con, I didn't think they get it every year, i think the past couple years they had it pretty bad. Maybe someone can chime in that knows more about smoke conditions of Grants Pass, how often they get it.

Old 10-31-2018, 04:42 PM

5,303 posts, read 7,588,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlehman21 View Post
Hello, I've lived my whole life in Tillamook Or. Im finally had enough rain in my life time to where im planning on moving once my house sells. Ive done a lot of research on area's in Oregon that get a lot of sunny days , Grants Pass stood out the most and we visited there twice so far and love the area. Its important for me that the area is filled with mountains/ outdoor activities and still green and not a dried up dessert.

I know there some cons in GP like bums,crime, drugs ext. but i live a secluded lifestyle so i don't think it be a killer for me and it seems to be a problem everywhere else you go in Or. Tillamook is full of druggies. Maybe you can chime in if the problems GP has effects your everyday life?

GP is the perfect size of city for me, i could never live somewhere like Portland area. The main question i had was is there any other area's you recommend that i might like to move to? even possible area's in Washington?

Looking for places similar to GP - Mountains ,green, around 200 sunny days, less then 40in rain yr, outdoor activities.

Thanks,

-Travis
I'd look at Wenatchee and the surrounding towns like Cashmere. Maybe not quite as green as you are looking for but quite the attractive town and filled with outdoor recreation. And I think the economy is quite a bit more vibrant than Grants Pass. It's basically Bend before Bend became overrun with California money. Here's a promo video the city made: [vimeo]88411706[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/88411706

Old 10-31-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
I'd look at Wenatchee and the surrounding towns like Cashmere. Maybe not quite as green as you are looking for but quite the attractive town and filled with outdoor recreation. And I think the economy is quite a bit more vibrant than Grants Pass. It's basically Bend before Bend became overrun with California money. Here's a promo video the city made: [vimeo]88411706[/vimeo]
[vimeo]88411706[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/88411706
Thanks for the suggestions. It def, checks a lot of my boxes for what im looking for! It looks a little drier then what id like but you cant have it all right. Bend real estate is expensive but GP doesn't seem much better. Im trying to find a house that has at least 1 acre preferably more and pretty much everything is above 400k and the house will even be outdated. I didn't look to compare what houses go for in Wenatchee. One con is that its pretty far from Tillamook where rest of my family lives. Do you know of any other areas in WA that fits my criteria that's a little closer ?

Old 10-31-2018, 05:22 PM

26,486 posts, read 36,338,220 times
I've lived in the Grants Pass area. What's going on now is more than an occasional year or two of unusually severe wildfire activity. Scientists say the fires will get worse in the coming years.

Old 10-31-2018, 05:42 PM

8,393 posts, read 8,608,618 times
What about Roseburg? Average home prices are cheaper than Grants Pass.

Walla Walla gets twice the rain of Wenatchee (18 inches / yr vs. 9) and has cheaper home prices too.

Pendleton and LaGrande might be worth checking.

Old 10-31-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
What about Roseburg? Average home prices are cheaper than Grants Pass.

Walla Walla gets twice the rain of Wenatchee (18 inches / yr vs. 9) and has cheaper home prices too.
I would definitely move to Roseburg! Its just to small! only if it was closer to a bigger city like GP is to medord

Old 10-31-2018, 05:50 PM

8,393 posts, read 8,608,618 times
What about Central Point? Close to Medford, similar average home prices to Grants Pass but 1/3rd less rain?

If Roseburg is too small then most of the places I mentioned are too. Somewhere between Grants Pass and Medford is probably the right area to focus on.

Old 10-31-2018, 05:51 PM

Does anyone have information on air quality in GP? Both times we visited i didn't notice anything. i know during fire season it could be bad but im just wanting to get some feed back on the other days of the year. Is it a problem to where it can effect your health>?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon