U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 02:38 PM

15,296 posts, read 14,735,048 times

Advertisements

Holiday Lights is happening at Shore Acres State Park, Coos Bay this week. 325,000 lights, and water. Wear a raincoat.
Rate this post positively

Old 12-18-2018, 06:26 PM

7,785 posts, read 16,648,144 times
.. except that the Holiday Lights are closed today and maybe tomorrow because of power outages from high winds.

I meant to go this year, but somehow December managed to just slip away on the calendar...
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 12-18-2018, 08:14 PM

2,539 posts, read 3,358,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytowne View Post
Yes, it rains here. It rains in SF Bay area, too.
SF gets about 24 inches per year which is well below the US average and Florence gets about 71" which is well above the average. If one is a retiree that enjoys coastal living in the rain then Florence should be on the list.

Old 12-19-2018, 01:16 AM

22,420 posts, read 29,803,535 times
Quote:
I recently retired after 30 years working a high-stress job in SF Bay Area. My commute was 2 to 3 hours a day. People were always in a hurry and stressed out. I sold my home and just rented a home in Florence, hoping to find just the right home to buy. I have met three of my immediate neighbors, all from CA. The majority of people I meet in the stores and other places are from CA. Even the clerks. People are very friendly and welcoming, no one seems stressed out. We were very lucky to find a temporary rental. There are very few rentals in Florence that aren't furnished vacation rentals and almost none will accept pets.

No crowds, no traffic, no stressed out vibe. Yes, it rains here. It rains in SF Bay area, too. So far, there is enough of a break in the rain daily to take my dogs to the gorgeous Honeyman State Park, lovely lake, nice paved roads, charming stone buildings (restrooms), trails around the lake. And no people. Plenty of services and everything is close by. Lots of restaurants. A bit over an hour to Eugene and I5.

The weather here is one reason we chose coastal Oregon. We do not like hot. It seems lesser expensive areas for retired folks are too extreme, too hot. Florence is pretty mild, no extremes. You don't need air conditioning and you don't have to shovel snow out of your driveway to get out.

Jobs is the only reason I can see that Florence and other coastal Oregon towns aren't more populated. To be able to live in such a beautiful place with rivers, lakes, creeks, forests, mountains and hills, and the ocean is usually only possible when a job is no longer needed.

Florence is my little slice of heaven. It is a hidden gem. And unless the job market changes, will likely stay that way. I don't know about Coos Bay. It did not appeal to me as much as Florence when we visited the areas over the past few years.
Sounds like you're settling in fine. Pretty much everyone I've talked to says similar things about the weather, and I agree. Personally, I'd love to live in Baker City, but I can't do the winter cold, and it's too far from an airport.

A few more things about Florence — Bi Mart lets people in without showing a card and is a good place to shop for a lot of things. I get most of my garden stuff there. Aloha Pet Grooming is probably better than the others but hard to get into — gotta call a month ahead. Dirty Dog is okay. Tony's Garage for car repairs. Depending on where you're at in town, you can get pretty good antennae TV. I have a small indoor antennae I got on Amazon for $20, and I get a bunch of channels. You can take Spruce, Kingwood, or even Rhododendron depending on where you're going to avoid tourist traffic on 101 when it gets bad (Rhody Weekend and pretty much all summer). Purple Pelican for when you feel like buying something but aren't sure what. Paint-and-sip classes every couple of months at the Events Center.

ETA practice caution at the intersection on 9th and Kingwood. It seems to get mistaken for a 4-way stop now and then. ETA community dinner at the Elks Lodge on Xmas day; think it starts at noon.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 12-19-2018 at 02:08 AM..

Old 12-19-2018, 11:18 AM

43 posts, read 31,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
SF gets about 24 inches per year which is well below the US average and Florence gets about 71" which is well above the average. If one is a retiree that enjoys coastal living in the rain then Florence should be on the list.
SF Bay area includes a number of counties and towns, not just SF. I rarely went into the city, too much congestion, traffic, concrete, crime, and no where to park without paying a fortune. I grew up in Marin County, average rainfall is 52.56 inches annually. Winter storms there causes landslides, trees falling, power outages, flooding, etc. (I know, I was a property manager there for over 30 years.) Also a beautiful place. Especially in the 50's when it wasn't logjammed with people and cars. Summers include plenty of days well into the 80's and even 90's and occasional 3 digits. Other bay area locations where there isn't so much rain, are unbearably hot during the summer.

I have retired friends in CA who moved to typical retirement areas in CA. They have to walk their dogs very early in the morning before it gets too hot. Then they spend their days in A/C homes or cars. I visited one during the summer. My car windshield cracked from the heat.

Yesterday I spent my December afternoon at Honeyman Park in Florence walking around the lake and through the trees. Gorgeous! and no rain. So far in December, there has been enough breaks in the rain to do whatever you might want to do comfortably, temperatures in the 50's.

No place is perfect. There are trade-offs depending on your priorities. I don't mind rain at all, especially when it isn't constant. I will take scenic beauty, freedom from traffic and congestion, affordability, and mild temperatures any day over what other more affordable retirement locations offer, long, hot summers, or shoveling snow.

BTW, I pay $1850 in rent in Florence for a 4BR/3BA 2300 sq foot house at the end of a quiet cul-de-sac with a river view. That will get you a one bedroom apartment with no view in Marin County. $2500 and up to get a 1 BR with a view.

Gotta go. Headed to Honeyman!

Old 12-19-2018, 11:32 AM

43 posts, read 31,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Sounds like you're settling in fine. Pretty much everyone I've talked to says similar things about the weather, and I agree. Personally, I'd love to live in Baker City, but I can't do the winter cold, and it's too far from an airport.

A few more things about Florence — Bi Mart lets people in without showing a card and is a good place to shop for a lot of things. I get most of my garden stuff there. Aloha Pet Grooming is probably better than the others but hard to get into — gotta call a month ahead. Dirty Dog is okay. Tony's Garage for car repairs. Depending on where you're at in town, you can get pretty good antennae TV. I have a small indoor antennae I got on Amazon for $20, and I get a bunch of channels. You can take Spruce, Kingwood, or even Rhododendron depending on where you're going to avoid tourist traffic on 101 when it gets bad (Rhody Weekend and pretty much all summer). Purple Pelican for when you feel like buying something but aren't sure what. Paint-and-sip classes every couple of months at the Events Center.

ETA practice caution at the intersection on 9th and Kingwood. It seems to get mistaken for a 4-way stop now and then. ETA community dinner at the Elks Lodge on Xmas day; think it starts at noon.
Thanks for all the tips. I did take all four dogs to Dirty Dogs for bathing and pedicures. $20 each. I couldn't believe it! What a deal! Over $50 each in the Bay Area and over $100 each if it includes a trim. Dirty Dogs took me within 2 days of calling for an appointment. Location was just minutes away. I use Spruce routinely instead of 101. I prefer the back roads. Still need to learn all the stop light locations. BTW, streets actually have logic to them here. Not used to that.

Now just find me the perfect house in Florentine!

Old 12-19-2018, 08:27 PM

2,539 posts, read 3,358,383 times
Quote:
Other bay area locations where there isn't so much rain, are unbearably hot during the summer.
Maybe the East Bay and far to the south where you hit San Jose but I can't think of anywhere else in the SF Bay Area that is that hot in the summer. The temps there are moderate and great all year.

Quote:
I grew up in Marin County, average rainfall is 52.56 inches annually.
Marin County is an outlier for the SF Bay Area. And then it depends on where in Marin County you are measuring.

Rainfall history
Total rainfall recorded at San Rafael’s Civic Center for the water years from 2007 to 2018:

2007-08: 24.25 inches
2008-09: 24.90 inches
2009-10: 40.43 inches
2010-11: 35.54 inches
2011-12: 14.11 inches
2012-13: 24.75 inches
2013-15: 15.77 inches
2014-15: 26.35 inches
2015-16: 18.84 inches
2016-17: 62.82 inches
2017-18: 16.55 inches

Old 12-19-2018, 08:49 PM

22,420 posts, read 29,803,535 times
For crying out loud.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 12-19-2018 at 09:36 PM..

Old 12-19-2018, 09:36 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,475,060 times
But the fact remains that the Coos Bay/Florence area is Oregons next hot spot.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:50 PM

7,785 posts, read 16,648,144 times
Not until the area has something to offer people under 60. The median age in Florence is 57. The median age in Coos Bay is 48. Even Harney County and Malheur County, with a rapidly aging-out farmer base, are younger than that. The median age, overall, in Oregon is 36.

Could more retirees or second home owners move out that way? Sure. But without year-round, non-tourism-based employment, those numbers will not change significantly.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon