Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 11:02 AM

93 posts, read 109,490 times

Advertisements

Which is the best town or location in Oregon to catch your own food/-crab!, fish, clams etc.?? Thank you! The least polluted water, the most abundant sea life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 11:48 AM

15,201 posts, read 8,814,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rod5591 View Post
Which is the best town or location in Oregon to catch your own food/-crab!, fish, clams etc.?? Thank you! The least polluted water, the most abundant sea life?
Waldport hands down.

Crabbing – Port of Alsea

Old 12-15-2018, 02:31 PM

32,503 posts, read 47,512,022 times
Waldport or Garibaldi.

Both have good crabbing and (relatively) safe passageway into the ocean. Garibaldi area is better for clamming. Waldport has the best sourdough bakery in the entire country. No exageration.

Garibaldi easily handles a much larger ocean going boat. A 21 ft aluminum fishing boat can go out for halibut out of Waldport but you aren't getting too much bigger.

Garibaldi has cheaper real estate.

Waldport is close enough to Yachats that you could live in Yachats, which I consider to be the most desirable town on the cost. Major shopping is in nearby Newport.

Garibaldi, you would shop in Tillamook.

Waldport has several good restaurants. I don't know about restaurants in Garibaldi.

Old 12-15-2018, 04:28 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,601,018 times
I would say Netarts. Great shellfish fishing in Netarts bay and a nearby boat ramp so you can get out on the water for fishing in the bay or out on the ocean.

Old 12-15-2018, 06:46 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,415,142 times
SUPER SUPER SUPER FOOLISH BAD ADVICE about crossing the Netarts bar into the ocean.
I can't stress that enough!
Unless you know exactly what you are doing, you will wind up drowned and dead and on the news!

Unless you are very, very skilled and have an super awesome boat, Netarts is one of the last places I would choose to cross a bar to the open ocean safely.

The definition of a "Bar" just in case people don't know what I am talking about:
"A bank of sand or of sand and gravel deposited by waves and currents across the mouth of a bay so that the bay is no longer connected or is connected only by a narrow outlet with the main body of water".

Garibaldi is light years safer and better, and even then you have to pick your days with a very discerning eye.
However, I feel queesy every time I eat a Tillamook Bay oyster, maybe it's all the farm and cow poop run-off.
I can tell from the taste whether it's from Tillamook Bay or not.

On the other hand, Netarts Bay oysters are world reknown.
Small, but very briny and sweet at the same time.
AFAIK, Netarts Bay has the distinction of being the only coastal bay in Oregon that has no freshwater inlets.
Fishing in Netarts is so-so, but the crabbing and clamming there is awesome!

Waldport is the same as Netarts bar wise.
If you stay in the bays, you are fine, but trying to cross either ones bars can and will get you into very deathly trouble.
YOU WILL DIE IF YOU DON'T KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE DOING!

How come no one has mentioned Reedsport, or Coos Bay?
Newport, however, is fairly safe, plus it's just a little ways from Waldport.

You may also want to check out the stretch from Coos Bay north to Florence.
Not only do you have coastal bays, beaches and mud flats, you also have a couple of very large freshwater lakes chock full of Bass and freshwater fish that absolutely no one seems to talk about!

That stretch is the last "undiscovered" inexpensive section of coastal Oregon!

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 12-15-2018 at 07:14 PM..

Old 12-15-2018, 08:43 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,415,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
I would say Netarts. Great shellfish fishing in Netarts bay and a nearby boat ramp so you can get out on the water for fishing in the bay or out on the ocean.
Sorry I came on so strong, but this is absolutely unforgivable, and I am not going to cut you one bit of slack!

Those last five little words could get someone killed very easily, and destroy their families lives forever.

If you are going to give advice like that, you had better well know exactly 100% what you are talking about.

I am totally serious, and not joking at all about this!

Read the first paragraph:
http://www.oregonfishinginfo.com/Netarts%20Bay%201.html

And a thread from Oregon's best fishing website (read post #7):
https://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=133652

Also:
https://www.bestfishinginamerica.com...ng-oregon.html

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 12-15-2018 at 09:24 PM..

Old 12-15-2018, 09:55 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,601,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Sorry I came on so strong, but this is absolutely unforgivable, and I am not going to cut you one bit of slack!

Those last five little words could get someone killed very easily, and destroy their families lives forever.

If you are going to give advice like that, you had better well know exactly 100% what you are talking about.

I am totally serious, and not joking at all about this!

Read the first paragraph:
Netarts Bay

And a thread from Oregon's best fishing website (read post #7):
https://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=133652

Also:
https://www.bestfishinginamerica.com...ng-oregon.html
You are absoultely right. The bay is nice but the bar there in Netarts is notorious. I forgot about that. You can get out and do a lot of fishing in the bay. Just no salmon fishing because there are no salmon streams there. I've tooled around there on Kayaks but never went out through that bar. One would want to drive around to Tillamook Bay to get further out for ocean fishing.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:43 PM

15,201 posts, read 8,814,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
You may also want to check out the stretch from Coos Bay north to Florence.
Not only do you have coastal bays, beaches and mud flats, you also have a couple of very large freshwater lakes chock full of Bass and freshwater fish that absolutely no one seems to talk about!

That stretch is the last "undiscovered" inexpensive section of coastal Oregon!
Have you actually ever been to the South Coast? There are no bays between Coos Bay and Florence, there is only one bay, Winchester Bay. It is not an undiscovered area, there is nothing there except sand dunes, and forest.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:41 PM

12,978 posts, read 7,361,089 times
You're going to get gout.
Did I retell the time when I fell into the clam tell? I caught the last of that clam's (blue clam) inhale and my leg got sucked in its in-take. It didn't like my toes and blew me out on the exhale. Hell of-a-story. That's how I got gout in my right toe.

Old 12-16-2018, 12:29 PM

32,503 posts, read 47,512,022 times
No harbor in Oregon has a safe bar. You can only go out when weather is mild and forcast says it is going to remain so. Halibut can be about 60 miles out. No one goes for halibut unless the weather is in a good mood. Approaching and departing any of the harbors requires great care.

Newport is a good place to enter the ocean, if you can get through the huge crowd at the boat launch in good weather, because that is where most fishermen go out and the boat lainch area is inadequate to handle the demand.. Newport isn't where I recomend living for anyone who hopes to feed themselves fishing. Crabbing is OK. 8,000 sea lions and harbour seals are competing for whatever fish are there.

Winchester Bay is a pretty area. Salmon fishing is OK, crabbing is moderate. The bar is really rough looking. I don't know what it would be like to cross the bar. I like fishing there because the scenery around most of the bay is forest or sand dunes. Very pretty.

Serious salmon fishing is in the Columbia, and the Columbia has a notoriously dangerous bar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon