U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 10:04 AM

4,677 posts, read 7,145,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Yes, but a great deal of Oregon pot is exported across state lines illegally. Still, the business appears to be less attractive than once hoped.
The "seven years to smoke" is just the legal marijuana tracked in the system. It doesn't include the MJ that is sold illegally.
Rate this post positively

Old 01-04-2019, 11:06 AM

4,717 posts, read 6,448,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Yes, but a great deal of Oregon pot is exported across state lines illegally. Still, the business appears to be less attractive than once hoped.
Prices for pretty much every other agricultural commodity in this country are declining. Look at what is happening to dairy farmers: https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlo...?noredirect=on

I'm not sure why people thought pot would be different.

If we ever do reach a political state where pot can be freely imported and exported then boutique growers in Oregon will soon find themselves competing against deep pocketed growers in Brasil or Mexico or Nigeria or wherever conditions are right and land and labor are cheap. If pot becomes 100% legal across North America, don't expect the rest of the world to stick with their existing drug laws. Next thing you know, the international pot trade will be governed by the WTO.

Old 01-04-2019, 01:30 PM

15,293 posts, read 16,236,181 times
We have an excellent area for growing pot in Southern Oregon and Northern California, but I suspect the era of $20/hour for trimming bud will not last long.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:50 PM

1,427 posts, read 1,207,708 times
Well if there are some new jobs and some tax revenue and not any "Reefer Madness" murders and rapes then its probably been a good thing.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:51 PM

218 posts, read 196,847 times
It's all over S. Oregon. My biggest concerns are the use by younger persons and drivers. I was some what in favor of medical marijuana but now it's in the public's face. I've seen young adults, maybe teens walk down my street smoking it. Can't say the crime has increased much but there are allot more openly stoned people around town.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:44 PM

15,293 posts, read 16,236,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Z View Post
It's all over S. Oregon. My biggest concerns are the use by younger persons and drivers. I was some what in favor of medical marijuana but now it's in the public's face. I've seen young adults, maybe teens walk down my street smoking it. Can't say the crime has increased much but there are allot more openly stoned people around town.
Public consumption is still illegal. Call a cop.

Old 01-07-2019, 04:25 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,970,646 times
What do you honestly think a cop would do?

If they show up at all, which is a total pipe dream, what would they really do?

Not a damn thing.

Calling the cops on somebody publicly smoking pot is just a waste of municipal resources.

I think you guys need to realize that people have been smoking pot for decades now, but now it is a bit more acceptable.
It is also legal.

Would you get that upset if you saw a nice young couple sitting on a blanket drinking a bottle of wine during a picnic in the park?
Probably not.

That same nice young couple smoking a joint during a picnic in the park?

CALL THE COPS!

PS: How about edibles? How can you tell?

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 01-07-2019 at 04:40 PM..

Old 01-07-2019, 06:40 PM

7,785 posts, read 17,712,895 times
The pros and cons of pot have been discussed many times in many threads - this one is about the effect of the industry on this specific area. Please stay on that topic.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 01-09-2019, 10:37 PM

237 posts, read 338,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulippsy View Post
I am continually amazed at the erroneous information surrounding legalization of cannabis, medical and/or recreational. Please, tell us what kind of “problems” your friends in Colorado are experiencing there.
I'm being told that the problems tend to be petty property crime, breakins, theft, etc.

The folks telling me this work in the music biz, which is generally a pro-recreational-drugs industry. That's why I took notice of it.

Me personally, I'm pro-legalization, but anti-use.

Pro-legalization on a personal freedom philosophy... don't figure anyone needs to go to jail for getting stoned.

Anti-use because I just believe it's bad for folks. Stupid basically, same as alcohol use IMHO, whether or not the effects are as bad, worse, or less.

Kind of on a similar note... legalized gambling/gaming... not inherently bad if one keeps it under control... but it does attract problem elements. (Or as the joke goes... gambling isn't the problem... *losing* at gambling is... LOL!)

Old 01-09-2019, 10:43 PM

237 posts, read 338,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
ignorant post. Has the OP ever bothered to read how people in Colorado are happy with their legalization? Has he ever done even a modicum of research on this topic when there is so much information out there? We always hope society will progress and people become more informed. Ugh
Yes, I've done research. I've seen all the attempts to whitewash pot and hemp, etc.

Everyone has a convincing sounding argument on their side of it taken in isolation.

But my experience in life has been that long term pot use does negatively affect people, and that's the side I believe, based on experience. It is what it is, a drug that's used recreationally. Seems such things generally derail people's lives on average. But yes, is a personally derived ("anecdotal" I guess) conclusion. But I'm sticking to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon