U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-04-2019, 05:08 PM
 
536 posts, read 1,612,226 times
Reputation: 640

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searching-01 View Post
I was reading the Wikipedia article on Medford's economy and it makes it sound like it's "Pot City"... is that true?

Has it raised the crime level and caused other problems?

Folks I know over in Colorado say the pot thing over there has brought a lot of problems (and apparently meth users) with it.
Medford's crime rate is going up by a significant amount. Having been at a low rating of 296.3 in 2008, it is now at 460.1. Theft has quadrupled in the past eight years and burglaries have also gone up in the past eight years, but are down from the past twenty. Crime data Theft has remained fairly constant, but is up slightly with about 5,900 people being affected out of 100,000.

In the Pacific Northwest reaches such as Washington State, several new studies are revealing that since the state has legalized pot, there has been an increase in traffic accidents related to it and deaths. Crime has increased in most cities, and homelessness has increased. Crimes increased massively in Seattle, from being a fairly low crime city, to a high crime mess. The statistics really changed within a year of the state legalizing marijuana. Many are calling it a gateway drug to worse things which may attribute to the horrible drug problems in and around Seattle. Now I can't say how much of this is attributed all to weed, but certainly some of it is. It's just common sense. People will abuse anything when it becomes legal.

I hope I was able to provide some input to your inquiry. Have a good day.

Other sources
Study: Fatal Car Crashes Involving Marijuana Have Tripled.
Marijuana-related fatal car accidents surge in WA after legalization.
Study: Car Crashes Up Where Marijuana Is Legal.
Impacts of Recreational Marijuana Legalization in Washington (State Gov Study).
Crime Rates Are Soaring in Seattle and Denver.

Rate this post positively

 
Old 04-04-2019, 05:48 PM
 
Location: The beautiful Rogue Valley, Oregon
7,785 posts, read 17,689,445 times
Reputation: 10738
Most of the crime rate jump in Medford was in the really bad years for the local economy, which would have been about 2007 through about 2015 when the unemployment rate finally began to level off (it took until the beginning of 2017 to actually level off). The U3 rate (one of the mildest measures of unemployment) actually hit 16% here at one point.

Crimes rates have either leveled off or started to drop, with just a few areas going up:
https://www.kdrv.com/content/news/Me...493871861.html
also remember that crime rates reflect what crimes the police/prosecutors choose to enforce.

The big reports are usually 3-4 years behind in data, the above article is actually from last year.

Also, Washington State and Southern Oregon are very different states - enforcement of rules around pot have always been pretty lax in Southern Oregon. Washington didn't allow medical marijuana until 2016, Oregon legalized it in 1998. Before recreational sales were allowed, there were something like 55,000 medical marijuana cards issued in the state a year. There were almost as many medical marijuana cards applied for in Jackson County (pop 210,000) as there were in Multnomah County (pop 817,000).
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
Moderator for: Oregon (and subforums), Auto Racing.
When you signed up for an account, you agreed to abide by the site's TOS and rules. You really should look through them.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 04-04-2019 at 06:17 PM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-04-2019, 07:21 PM
 
Location: WA
4,712 posts, read 6,424,830 times
Reputation: 6935
I'm not a marajuana supporter or opponent one way or the other. Although I do get weary of all the pot fanatics who think weed will cure every disease and social problem on the planet. I tend to think it's just weed. Not lot more interesting than basil or tarragon or lavender except that it gets you high.

I did look through all the links posted above. All the crime stats linked with pot tend to be pot crimes (posession, distribution, etc. and not property crimes or violent crimes linked to drug use. So I'm skeptical of the suggested links between pot legalization and increases in property or violent crime. I tend to think that is much more closely linked to the opioid epidemic, meth epidemic, and prescription drug abuse for which there is indeed a very real link to crime.

I think it's more likely we'll see a decline in economic productivity associated with increased pot use. Kind of like they see in Brazil with Carnival which kills economic productivity for a month or so every year. I don't know if anyone has done that sort of study.

As for Medford? I think it suffers the same combination of problems as most Oregon cities which is a toxic mix of lax enforcement of social norms like tolerance for homeless camps everywhere and petty nuisance crime combined with obsessive NIMBY attitudes towards any kind of economic growth and housing density, and an anemic local economy. Which leads to cities that are simultaneously becoming both messier and crime ridden and more unaffordable. Eugene, where I grew up is exactly the same way. The local residents squelch any sort of relaxing of zoning laws or increases in density that might make housing more affordable, and also squelch a lot of economic development options, yet seem to put up with a whole lot more vagrancy and mess that most people from elsewhere would find shocking. After a few decades of that sort of thing the trajectory is pretty obvious and bleak.

Last edited by texasdiver; 04-04-2019 at 07:36 PM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-07-2019, 01:03 AM
 
237 posts, read 336,502 times
Reputation: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
I'm not a marajuana supporter or opponent one way or the other. Although I do get weary of all the pot fanatics who think weed will cure every disease and social problem on the planet. I tend to think it's just weed. Not lot more interesting than basil or tarragon or lavender except that it gets you high.

I did look through all the links posted above. All the crime stats linked with pot tend to be pot crimes (posession, distribution, etc. and not property crimes or violent crimes linked to drug use. So I'm skeptical of the suggested links between pot legalization and increases in property or violent crime. I tend to think that is much more closely linked to the opioid epidemic, meth epidemic, and prescription drug abuse for which there is indeed a very real link to crime.

I think it's more likely we'll see a decline in economic productivity associated with increased pot use. Kind of like they see in Brazil with Carnival which kills economic productivity for a month or so every year. I don't know if anyone has done that sort of study.

As for Medford? I think it suffers the same combination of problems as most Oregon cities which is a toxic mix of lax enforcement of social norms like tolerance for homeless camps everywhere and petty nuisance crime combined with obsessive NIMBY attitudes towards any kind of economic growth and housing density, and an anemic local economy. Which leads to cities that are simultaneously becoming both messier and crime ridden and more unaffordable. Eugene, where I grew up is exactly the same way. The local residents squelch any sort of relaxing of zoning laws or increases in density that might make housing more affordable, and also squelch a lot of economic development options, yet seem to put up with a whole lot more vagrancy and mess that most people from elsewhere would find shocking. After a few decades of that sort of thing the trajectory is pretty obvious and bleak.
Is homelessness a big problem in Medford (Ashland, Grant's Pass, Etc... or just Oregon as a whole)?

Have to say, that surprises me. Seems to me it'd be too cold up there for homeless folks to want to gravitate there.

Los Angeles, SoCal in general, I understand... it's warm... The further north you go, the less of that I would expect.

Yet, I read Olympia, Wa has a huge problem with it, as does Seattle?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-07-2019, 06:57 AM
 
Location: Oregon Coast
11,771 posts, read 5,891,329 times
Reputation: 16412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searching-01 View Post
Is homelessness a big problem in Medford (Ashland, Grant's Pass, Etc... or just Oregon as a whole)?

Have to say, that surprises me. Seems to me it'd be too cold up there for homeless folks to want to gravitate there.

Los Angeles, SoCal in general, I understand... it's warm... The further north you go, the less of that I would expect.

Yet, I read Olympia, Wa has a huge problem with it, as does Seattle?
Homelessness is a big problem, nationwide, and has been for the last 40 years. It's everywhere.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-07-2019, 09:13 AM
 
Location: The beautiful Rogue Valley, Oregon
7,785 posts, read 17,689,445 times
Reputation: 10738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searching-01 View Post
Is homelessness a big problem in Medford (Ashland, Grant's Pass, Etc... or just Oregon as a whole)?

Have to say, that surprises me. Seems to me it'd be too cold up there for homeless folks to want to gravitate there.

Los Angeles, SoCal in general, I understand... it's warm... The further north you go, the less of that I would expect.

Yet, I read Olympia, Wa has a huge problem with it, as does Seattle?
The problem is huge in all cities along the I5 corridor on the west coast, in California, Oregon and Washington. There isn't really a city on the corridor that does not struggle with the problem (which is not saying that ONLY cities on I5 have the problem, it has spread from there). While the majority of homeless are generally "from" the area they live in, there is also a transient population that is not.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
Moderator for: Oregon (and subforums), Auto Racing.
When you signed up for an account, you agreed to abide by the site's TOS and rules. You really should look through them.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-07-2019, 11:04 AM
 
Location: WA
4,712 posts, read 6,424,830 times
Reputation: 6935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searching-01 View Post
Is homelessness a big problem in Medford (Ashland, Grant's Pass, Etc... or just Oregon as a whole)?

Have to say, that surprises me. Seems to me it'd be too cold up there for homeless folks to want to gravitate there.

Los Angeles, SoCal in general, I understand... it's warm... The further north you go, the less of that I would expect.

Yet, I read Olympia, Wa has a huge problem with it, as does Seattle?
There were lots of homeless living in the woods and edges of town around Juneau Alaska when I was living there. That's a seriously harsh climate to live in outdoors any time of the year. Much more extreme than the Pacific Northwest. Yet people would still do it. Happens everywhere housing costs are high and housing is limited. Same issues. Mostly substance abuse and mental health issues kept people out of the system because there were shelters.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-07-2019, 11:15 AM
 
Location: WA
4,712 posts, read 6,424,830 times
Reputation: 6935
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
The problem is huge in all cities along the I5 corridor on the west coast, in California, Oregon and Washington. There isn't really a city on the corridor that does not struggle with the problem (which is not saying that ONLY cities on I5 have the problem, it has spread from there). While the majority of homeless are generally "from" the area they live in, there is also a transient population that is not.
There have been court cases in Oregon that have limited the ability of cities to roust people out of homeless encampments if there are no alternatives for them. And there are a lot more political activitists supporting homeless in the Northwest compared to other parts of the US like say Texas.

Unless/until Northwest cities make a major effort to provide alternative and transitional housing (which they seem politically incapable of doing...see Wapato Jail), the problem is basically going to continue to bleed the liveability out of Northwest cities.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-07-2019, 01:44 PM
 
Location: California
6,191 posts, read 6,956,124 times
Reputation: 13326
Watch the video, Seattle is Dying and take a look at the future of Southern Oregon unless the voters send a strong message to City Council that they demand change. In the video, Rhode Island has taken a strong stand for existing law enforcement, which should be a road map for others to follow.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-07-2019, 02:03 PM
 
Location: The beautiful Rogue Valley, Oregon
7,785 posts, read 17,689,445 times
Reputation: 10738
We dealt with the OP's original question and are now wandering off in thread drift. The original topic is closed.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
Moderator for: Oregon (and subforums), Auto Racing.
When you signed up for an account, you agreed to abide by the site's TOS and rules. You really should look through them.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top