Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 01:04 PM

3 posts, read 2,845 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am considering moving to Ashland, Oregon. I am wanting to know if Ashland has a good Senior Living Community with lower rent and active (walking and other activities) in groups with Seniors. I am 69 and need to be more active. I am looking for a community in Oregon with flat forest walking trails for exercise and active Senior community with activities. I am trying to find somewhere where rent is $1,000 a month or below. I living on Social Security and a very small pension (about $2100 a month). Also, I currently have a Secret Clearance and wondering is there are any U.S. Navy bases to work part-time as a Secretary. I would like to continue working - 20-30 hours a week to supplement my income. I currently work part-time as a back-fill secretary for a contractor on a U.S. Naval base in Port Hueneme, CA.
Thank you for any input you may have.

Sandy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2019, 01:44 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,435,785 times
Try this website. Before moving out of Portland a few years ago I checked out Ashland. Senior housing was too expensive for me. $1000 a month wouldn't cut it.

There were long waiting lists but those can change.

https://affordablehousingonline.com/...Oregon/Ashland

Old 03-16-2019, 02:11 PM

231 posts, read 239,327 times
There are no Navy bases or anything like that. There are a lot of seniors here in Ashland, and lots of senior-centered types of activities. Walking around town and in the lower parts of Lithia Park is more or less level, and quite lovely, but the forested hiking trails are mostly in the watershed above town and are pretty climb-y.

There are at least a couple senior living communities, but I believe they are rather expensive, as are rents generally here. I think you'd be squeezed on your current income. Not saying it would be impossible here, but it would require some looking. I do know of a few older women who've chosen to live in housemate situations and that's made all the difference for them financially.

(The low income housing link posted above could be really helpful.)

Last edited by PNW to NEPA; 03-16-2019 at 02:24 PM..

Old 03-16-2019, 04:03 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,819,429 times
There aren't any Navy bases in Oregon (not really any active duty military bases, other than Coast Guard and National Guard). By car, Ashland is about 190 miles from the coast (as the crow flies it is only about 80 miles, but the routes thread through the mountains and are not direct). There are several Navy bases/facilities in Washington state, just outside the Seattle area.

Senior housing in Ashland tends to be very expensive and most of the subsidized housing available in the area is in cities other than Ashland. The average rent for a 1 bedroom apartment in Ashland is currently almost $1,400.

Housing Authority of Jackson County - Subsidized Housing
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 03-16-2019, 09:49 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srladyvc View Post
Hi,
I am considering moving to Ashland, Oregon. I am wanting to know if Ashland has a good Senior Living Community with lower rent and active (walking and other activities) in groups with Seniors. I am 69 and need to be more active. I am looking for a community in Oregon with flat forest walking trails for exercise and active Senior community with activities. I am trying to find somewhere where rent is $1,000 a month or below. I living on Social Security and a very small pension (about $2100 a month). Also, I currently have a Secret Clearance and wondering is there are any U.S. Navy bases to work part-time as a Secretary. I would like to continue working - 20-30 hours a week to supplement my income. I currently work part-time as a back-fill secretary for a contractor on a U.S. Naval base in Port Hueneme, CA.
Thank you for any input you may have.

Sandy
You might want to start with a map of US Navy bases.

United States Navy - Wikipedia

Old 03-17-2019, 10:43 AM

4,597 posts, read 2,988,358 times
Medford has that huge Rogue Valley Manor complex.

Old 03-17-2019, 11:45 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,819,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Medford has that huge Rogue Valley Manor complex.
That requires a 5-to-6 figure buy-in PLUS a monthly rent. Very high end, someone who worked there told me 90% of the residents are from outside the area.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 03-17-2019, 12:12 PM

231 posts, read 239,327 times
^I have been up to the Manor to visit friends. It's really swank. Like an upscale resort hotel. Friends have bought in. It's a super big investment. Once you buy in there is great security, they won't toss you out until you're horizontal for good, but the buy-in is steep. Nice dining up there. The Sunday brunch is to die for. Also remarkable views. I have known a few local people who moved there (they did it when one of the couple started having health problems so that the other person was securely situated in the event they were widowed), but I would imagine most people are from out of the area. One of the people I know who lives there talks about how interesting the other residents are; retired professional people who've had interesting careers and life experiences. But, yeah... $$$$

Old 03-17-2019, 01:23 PM

991 posts, read 1,519,148 times
Further north

Woodburn Estates & Golf - 55+ Residential Golf Community

Old 03-17-2019, 05:00 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,435,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gray horse View Post
This is a buy in place. There's no way $1000 a month will cover it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon