Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2008, 04:57 PM

19 posts, read 73,575 times

Advertisements

I need suggestions for the city in Oregon that will best suit me. I am from Southern California and I am through with the McMansions, the traffic, and the crowds. I am a young retiree in my early 40s who is looking for my little bit of heaven. I love gardening and horseback riding. Jobs, schools, and the price of housing are of no concern. I would like plenty of distance from my neighbors houses and require lots of scenery and charm. On the other hand, I would like to be within fair driving distance (no more than an hour) from upscale dining, shopping, and a BWM dealer/garage. Anyone? Thank you.

Last edited by halen; 04-10-2008 at 05:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 05:10 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,413,812 times
Since the housing prices are no concern I would look at the Portland West Hills out to the Helvatia area maybe as far out as Banks.

I would also consider Silverton, OR which is an insanely charming town with lots of gorgeous acreage. It would meet your driving criteria to Portland.

On the east side of Portland I would look at Damascus and Boring for nice scenery.

The Newberg area and Wilsonville have some stunning view properties and horse properties as well.

Just stick to within an hour of Portland and you will have a lot of choices.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:22 PM

19 posts, read 73,575 times
Thank you for your time and the great information.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:28 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 58,004,579 times
might consider Hood River if you want a change of climate from Portland and still be within 1 hr.

If proximity the Portland Airport (NE, Portland) is important, stick to the east side or venture north into WA

Within Portland there are some nice areas, check out Eastmoreland, near Reed College.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon