Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 07:37 PM

19,451 posts, read 8,997,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlehman21 View Post
One major issue thats getting me discouraged is the rural community.The more areas i drive around the more trashy property's i see, very low kept with numerous trailers and broken down cars everywhere. The worst part is even looking at houses around the 450-550 k you will have them as your neighbor or in the neighborhood.

Whats the cause of this and if wanting to move to southern Oregon is this what i will just have to accept>? Its really is to bad because everything else I love about Gp, the weather, scenery, location. Im not trying to categorize the whole area but seems a large majority in the rural area's have very low income .
FWIW --

About 45 years ago, my ex-husband and I bought some acreage very near to Grant's Pass because we were taken in by the beauty of the area and because the land was fairly cheap, but then reality set in when we were confronted with the realities of living in a VERY rural area with no amenities. We ended up selling the land eventually, but it took a long time to do so and I think we sold it for even less than we paid for it. I suspect that quite a few people did what we did, but were unable to sell it, and then didn't have the resources to build any kind of nice home on the property they bought, so they became stuck with their land and made do with mobile homes or possibly living out of their cars or RVs.

In any case, I wish you good luck in finding something nice you can afford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2019, 08:49 PM

26,486 posts, read 36,326,066 times
Quote:
i get what your saying, but in Tillamook which is very low income i still dont see the hillbilly living what i been seeing down south. .
You're right. I've lived around Grants Pass and on the Oregon Coast, and it's just not the same in that respect.

Old 03-23-2019, 03:18 PM

40 posts, read 56,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
You're right. I've lived around Grants Pass and on the Oregon Coast, and it's just not the same in that respect.
did that problem effect your quality of life when you lived around Gp? Im maybe considering Corvallis even though the weather isnt as good thinking the rural area may be better there?

Old 03-23-2019, 04:12 PM

26,486 posts, read 36,326,066 times
Quote:
did that problem effect your quality of life when you lived around Gp? Im maybe considering Corvallis even though the weather isnt as good thinking the rural area may be better there?
Not really, because I wasn't right next to it. The exact area was the back road between Glendale and Azalea that runs kind of parallel to I-5. It was all working farms and acreage properties. It was nice, but I only lived there a couple of years.

Old 03-23-2019, 05:27 PM

15,494 posts, read 40,190,180 times
Quote:
i see, where in your area are you talking about? i was considering other area's that thought may be better like Lebanon or Mcminnville . Haven't visited those areas yet but trying to find mid sized town 15k- 50k thats with an hour of major shopping. do these area's have the same issue im talking about?
Lebanon and the outskirts of Mac will have the same issues acreage wise. Lebanon probably more so than Mac as it has more poverty, but then in Mac you will likely pay a premium for prime wine-growing land.

Old 03-23-2019, 11:04 PM

17,609 posts, read 22,519,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Not really, because I wasn't right next to it. The exact area was the back road between Glendale and Azalea that runs kind of parallel to I-5. It was all working farms and acreage properties. It was nice, but I only lived there a couple of years.

A little farther down the road there are some beautiful properties close to Galesville Reservoir, & between Glendale & Riddle, there are some nice properties close to Cow Creek.

Old 03-23-2019, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Lebanon and the outskirts of Mac will have the same issues acreage wise. Lebanon probably more so than Mac as it has more poverty, but then in Mac you will likely pay a premium for prime wine-growing land.
okay thank you! i definitely noticed real estate prices were higher in Mcminnville, no property's even come up on my search withing the budget of 550k! how would you describe Corvallis compared to those two?

Old 03-23-2019, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
A little farther down the road there are some beautiful properties close to Galesville Reservoir, & between Glendale & Riddle, there are some nice properties close to Cow Creek.
i bet they are some nice area's up there. Im trying to stay within 15min to town so that wouldn't work for us.

Old 03-24-2019, 03:24 AM

29,784 posts, read 18,638,771 times
Quote:
i see, where in your area are you talking about? i was considering other area's that thought may be better like Lebanon or Mcminnville . Haven't visited those areas yet but trying to find mid sized town 15k- 50k thats with an hour of major shopping. do these area's have the same issue im talking about?
Mcminnville is a clean place with less trashy areas. It does get more rain, less sun, and cooler in the summer than Grants Pass. I did like the proximity to Portland metro when I lived in McMinnville...I would definitely consider it as an option if you can deal with the cloudy and rainy winters.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:29 AM

19,451 posts, read 8,997,875 times
I am wondering if you have looked, or would consider looking, outside of Oregon. Unless you are absolutely determined to move there, you might want to consider expanding your search somewhat.

My husband and I were determined to move to New Hampshire from Colorado for our retirement after taking many vacations to New England, but we just couldn't find what we wanted in our price range, plus a major turn-off for us was a lack of paved roads in NH rural areas. Long story short, we are retiring to Door County, Wisconsin instead, and it will cost us a lot less for just as much natural beauty, and the people seem to be much friendlier. No, it doesn't have the ocean close by and there aren't any mountains (although a ski resort is about two hours away from our property), but there are lighthouses and plenty of wave action on the Great Lakes; and Green Bay is just an hour away.

(I realize that Door County would not meet your needs, but I was just using my personal story as an example that if you can't find what you're looking for where you're looking, it might pay to look elsewhere.)

Last edited by katharsis; 03-25-2019 at 12:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon