Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 08:31 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,042,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
They are already doing it inside the stores. Why wouldn't they do it at the pumps?

Remember...
BIG difference (This is Oregon, NOT the USA corporate culture). Not gonna happen here!

I will bet in my remaining lifetime there will not be Self Service fuel available in metro Oregon (Where apparently these jobs are needed...)

Don't know.. not sure why these jobs are needed or desired, or why risk 'someone else's health and safety' by subjecting them to these high risk, low pay jobs. Consider the additional cancer and respiratory and skin exposure risk of being subjected to this work environment for 2000 hrs / yr. I would expect some class action lawsuits where we will all get to pay... as usual.

Since my dad owned a service station (where I pumped a LOT of gas) and we farmed (and ingested) high uranium content soil (Colorado) and I lived under power lines...and ate lots of beef, and was weened 16 hrs / day on diesel exhaust that kills millions of NYC school students... . I'm toast.

No Self Service fuels in Oregon during my short remaining lifetime (tomorrow?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 09:40 AM

2,410 posts, read 5,820,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Topping off is illegal in Oregon.

Gas prices are less expensive than those of surrounding states with self-serve.
https://www.gasbuddy.com

Average prices in surrounding states according to gasbuddy.com:

Montana = $2.89
Nevada = $3.47
Idaho = $3.23
California = $3.97
Washington = $3.54
Oregon = $3.42

Prices at a few stations in Portland = $4.09, $3.54, $3.75, $3.47, $3.99

Glad to hear that topping off is illegal in OR.

Old 05-30-2019, 09:48 AM

2,102 posts, read 1,004,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
... not sure why these jobs are needed or desired, or why risk 'someone else's health and safety' by subjecting them to these high risk, low pay jobs. Consider the additional cancer and respiratory and skin exposure risk of being subjected to this work environment for 2000 hrs / yr. I would expect some class action lawsuits where we will all get to pay... as usual.
Exactly!

This is just another government's feigned concern for public safety that is actually a ruse to increase consumer costs to pay for a social benefit - to employ the otherwise unemployable.

And we consumers, who pay this additional 'social benefit tax', get no added service and are actually inconvenienced!

Old 05-30-2019, 11:37 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Out of curiosity, what is/was the rationale for having gas station employees pump gas and not self-serve pumps in Oregon? Seems like it would just raise the price of the gasoline.
It is, admittedly, an anachronism, left over from decades before. Self-service gasoline wasn't common in the US until the 60s (although it had been "invented" prior to that). It's more that no one in Oregon really thought it was worth the trouble to change an older system that works well for MOST people.

I think we will see our alcohol distribution system change before the gas system changes.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 05-30-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
It is, admittedly, an anachronism, left over from decades before. Self-service gasoline wasn't common in the US until the 60s (although it had been "invented" prior to that). It's more that no one in Oregon really thought it was worth the trouble to change an older system that works well for MOST people.

I think we will see our alcohol distribution system change before the gas system changes.
I used to work at one of those Full Service gas stations. But we used to wash windshields, check under the hood, check tire pressure, add water to batteries and radiators, etc. Oregon's current 'no self service' comes with no service. At no time while in Oregon did an attendant wash my windshield or ask to check the oil or tires.

Maybe, since there is no added benefit to consumers for their over-priced gasoline Oregon could supply Green Stamps (remember those?) with each gas purchase. Then people (in Oregon) could turn the Green Stamps in for the marijuana product of their choice. That certainly would help the 'Green' economy in Oregon!

Old 05-30-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
Gas in Idaho is less expensive than in Oregon.

https://gasprices.aaa.com/state-gas-price-averages/
And even $1 less per gallon in Florida!

I paid $2.45/gal yesterday, and I didn't have to wait for a 'trained' attendant to eventually get around to do what I, as an adult consumer, could easily and quickly do for myself.

Old 05-30-2019, 01:23 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
https://www.gasbuddy.com

Average prices in surrounding states according to gasbuddy.com:

Montana = $2.89
Nevada = $3.47
Idaho = $3.23
California = $3.97
Washington = $3.54
Oregon = $3.42

Prices at a few stations in Portland = $4.09, $3.54, $3.75, $3.47, $3.99

Glad to hear that topping off is illegal in OR.
Looks like the only one with cheaper gas is Idaho, but most the traffic goes north/south (I was thinking about states that touch Oregon). Those Portland prices must be really driving up the average. It's something like $3.13 elsewhere. I suppose it'll be going up soon for the summer.

https://www.gasbuddy.com/GasPrices/Oregon/Florence

Last edited by Metlakatla; 05-30-2019 at 02:10 PM..

Old 05-30-2019, 02:43 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,815,795 times
I paid $3.25 per gallon for gas this morning in Sandy, Oregon and the guy washed my windshield and my rear window, as they normally do there, unless it happens to be a super busy time.

I texted my sister-in-law who lives east of Tacoma, Washington and asked how much gas costs there and she said that she paid $3.60 per gallon at an ARCO yesterday.

I like paying less and providing people who might not be skilled enough to find employment elsewhere with jobs.

Old 05-30-2019, 02:55 PM

50,290 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
In Oregon, the Union 76 where we buy our fuel, one pump island is all diesel pumps.
Another pump island is all gasoline pumps. So, if you want to fill your tank with diesel, you pull up to a diesel pump... If you want to fill your tank with gasoline, you pull up to a gasoline pump.
I wish it was like that here. There are only 2 per island so when I stop short to get diesel usually the person pulling in behind me gets all bent out of shape making faces and waving for me to pull forward.

Old 05-30-2019, 02:58 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
And even $1 less per gallon in Florida!

I paid $2.45/gal yesterday, and I didn't have to wait for a 'trained' attendant to eventually get around to do what I, as an adult consumer, could easily and quickly do for myself.
The gas price is determined as much by how the state gets gasoline as it is taxes. Our gasoline is ALL imported from Washington state and Alaska into a terminal near Portland, as we have no refineries. Florida, on the other hand, gets gas directly from the refineries on the Gulf Coast. Gas will ALWAYS be cheaper when there is a "local" refinery or source.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon