Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 05:54 PM

2,102 posts, read 1,004,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
I was just in South Florida a couple months ago and sure wish you guys could do something about all those stupid toll roads.
I hear you brother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 06:06 PM

2,102 posts, read 1,004,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
As far as gas station attendants go, IF we got rid of them the price might dip for awhile but then it will inch right back up and about 10,000 people will be out of work. Where will those 10,000 low skilled people find jobs? With automation taking over more and more each day, those low skilled jobs will be harder and harder to find.

You think we have a homeless problem now? Just wait. It will get worse and cutting more jobs will not help the situation.
Thank you - this is exactly what I've been arguing the real reason for attendants at Oregon's gas stations is.

I'm no fool to believe that it is for safety reasons as there are many safety features at modern self-serve stations. I don't appreciate a government's feigned concern for public safety that is actually a ruse to increase consumer costs to pay for a social benefit - to employ the otherwise unemployable. And we consumers, who pay this additional 'social benefit tax', get no added service and are actually inconvenienced!

I saw a lot of huge piles of deadfall in the forests of Oregon, a very significant fire hazard. IMO - better to get the low-skilled attendants to help clear/dispose of this large, important hazard to public safety than to prevent me from pumping my own gas.

Last edited by Rumann Koch; 05-30-2019 at 06:15 PM..

Old 05-30-2019, 07:03 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
Thank you - this is exactly what I've been arguing the real reason for attendants at Oregon's gas stations is.

I'm no fool to believe that it is for safety reasons as there are many safety features at modern self-serve stations. I don't appreciate a government's feigned concern for public safety that is actually a ruse to increase consumer costs to pay for a social benefit - to employ the otherwise unemployable. And we consumers, who pay this additional 'social benefit tax', get no added service and are actually inconvenienced!

I saw a lot of huge piles of deadfall in the forests of Oregon, a very significant fire hazard. IMO - better to get the low-skilled attendants to help clear/dispose of this large, important hazard to public safety than to prevent me from pumping my own gas.
Part of the reason for the bill in question being introduced is that gas station owners are having trouble staying fully staffed, so I'm not on board with "what about the jobs" thing. With the way the bill is written, not that many jobs would even be lost, and since there's a labor shortage, those who did lose jobs would quickly be absorbed back into the job market.

This bill would just give gas station owners the right to designate 1/4 of their pumps as self-serve.

Old 05-31-2019, 10:33 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Well, there's that aspect, for sure. But also, the issue of "topping off" to round up or whatever. I would be furious if guys pumping gas did this. If I'm there for a fill-up, and the sale is $10.37 and the pump stops automatically at that point, then that's the sale. Don't keep pumping until it hits $10.50 or whatever.

Topping off is a complete waste and bad for the car. On my car, the gas spills out of the tank and onto the ground, making a stinky mess. Been there, done that. I have a small car with a small tank and when the pump automatically stops, that needs to be the end of pumping. I think that the gas pump guys would want to "top off." I could be wrong, but I do remember this being an issue years ago when gas station attendants were common.

Out of curiosity, what is/was the rationale for having gas station employees pump gas and not self-serve pumps in Oregon? Seems like it would just raise the price of the gasoline.
There is a long history behind the issue. Back in the '60s, the big oil companies were squeezing out the mom and pop service stations and converting them to gas stations. During the Arab oil embargo in '73, they cut off gasoline deliveries to the independent stations to drive them out of business. Even before credit cards came in, many states bowed to big oil and made people pump their own. You paid a cashier in a kiosk or at a window. Typically it was a window in the side of the building. Convenience stores were not a thing yet. Requiring attendants to pump gas was a way that Oregon put a leash on big oil, so the slide toward self-service was blocked here.

Since that time, people have come to realize that if we go to self-service, we would pass a law that eliminates thousands of jobs overnight. So far, the voters have not been willing to do that. Since gas prices in neighboring states are higher, people don't feel like it's costing them anything.

Old 05-31-2019, 10:46 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
And even $1 less per gallon in Florida!

I paid $2.45/gal yesterday, and I didn't have to wait for a 'trained' attendant to eventually get around to do what I, as an adult consumer, could easily and quickly do for myself.
Gasoline prices have historically been lower near the oil fields and refineries, though demand has resulted in higher California prices. There are no oil fields in the PNW. The nearest oil well is on the Alaska North Slope, and that's a sour, high acid, high sulfur crude that has to be blended with other sources. Almost all PNW gasoline comes from the Tesoro refinery in Anacortes.

Florida has a much different supply chain. The refineries export excess diesel to Europe where cars run on the suff, and Europe exports gasoline to the US, where cars run on the stuff. It's a whole different business model.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:08 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
The topic is self-serve gas.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon