Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 12:53 AM

3 posts, read 1,428 times

Advertisements

Thank you all! Your responses will really help me. As I’m more of a hiking person, Eugene seems like the place to concentrate my housing research. If I keep to the fringes of the city but within the transportation system, the rents will probably be a bit lower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 12:54 AM

3 posts, read 1,428 times
I didn’t realize I posted in the Portland area. I’m not used to this type of social communication.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:36 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
If you like the Columbia Gorge, consider The Dalles, they have medical and good senior ride-share and some limited Public Trans. I think they run into Portland. From the WA side, Stevenson runs regular transit routes into Vancouver bus terminal (Which serves Portland.)

Corvallis would be my OR choice, unless you need VA medical.

Old 04-19-2019, 06:47 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cevidiamo View Post
Thank you all! Your responses will really help me. As I’m more of a hiking person, Eugene seems like the place to concentrate my housing research. If I keep to the fringes of the city but within the transportation system, the rents will probably be a bit lower.
Eugene is in Lane County, and the Lane Transit District (LTD) serves both Eugene and Springfield. If you are looking to save on rent, look at Springfield rather than Eugene. The two towns are contiguous, but Springfield has more working class roots.

The University of Oregon is a big state university, but Lane Community College is one of the largest community colleges in the state, and offers many activities that appeal to older residents. The Hult Center For the Performing Arts is one of the two major venues in the state, and you can catch touring Broadway plays there. The other venue is the Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall in Portland. Some big name acts also play outdoor concerts in parks and stadiums in the summer.

Old 04-19-2019, 07:42 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Eugene is in Lane County, and the Lane Transit District (LTD) serves both Eugene and Springfield. If you are looking to save on rent, look at Springfield rather than Eugene. The two towns are contiguous, but Springfield has more working class roots.

The University of Oregon is a big state university, but Lane Community College is one of the largest community colleges in the state, and offers many activities that appeal to older residents. The Hult Center For the Performing Arts is one of the two major venues in the state, and you can catch touring Broadway plays there. The other venue is the Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall in Portland. Some big name acts also play outdoor concerts in parks and stadiums in the summer.
Actually, the Broadway plays are at the Keller Auditorium in Portland. Arlene Schnitzer is for the Oregon Symphony and guests. The Portland ballet, comedians et al, and Broadway shows are all at Keller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon