Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 09:50 AM

679 posts, read 878,007 times

Advertisements

I live in Gold Beach and can answer some of your questions.

Gold Beach has one cannabis dispensary nearby in Wedderburn. I’ve been there. I have never smelled any marijuana smoke in town apart from the smoke in my own living room. You are much more likely to smell cigarette smoke here.

We have a few churches but don’t know if any of them meet your criteria.

I have seen several local businesses advertising for full and part time help. Handyman type people are in pretty short supply, if that’s something your husband could do.

We have a health food store and seasonal farmer’s market.

Plenty of tourists in the summer, although why that’s a priority, I’m not sure.

If you go on a real estate site, you will see that stick built homes start in the 200,000’s. Even fixers. If you are planning to get a mortgage, you have plenty for a down payment. A small, doublewide manufactured home near me sold for $149,00 a few months ago. I’ve been told rentals are expensive and hard to find.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 01:01 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
My concern for your husband's job would be that it would be part-time, somewhat seasonal and a difficult business to establish, as the handyman type of business is usually more word-of-mouth based than advertising based. The pay as a part-time handyman isn't going to be anywhere near what the pay for a FT construction worker is. Construction in Oregon runs much closer to year-round - you work rain or shine. I know of a couple local companies that send or have sent crews to do construction on the coast to do big houses.

I wouldn't call mountain biking a year-round past time here, either, given the very muddy and wet ground in the Coast Range/Siskiyous. Unless you have a much higher tolerance for mud and slush than I do. There aren't a lot of trails, either, mostly it is just riding Forest Service roads.
https://www.mtbproject.com/directory...5/oregon-coast

You may feel the same way about the dark rainy winter season as you do the snowy season. I'd certainly check that out before I bought a house. Plus 100k is really not going to get you much, if it gets you anything beyond a manufactured home in very bad shape. Cruising through Zillow, it looks like Crescent City is a better option than Oregon coastal cities, although Coos Bay has a few places in that range as well.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 04-05-2019, 01:41 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Uh, her husband works part time now and I didn't see where she said he'd go to full time if they move to Oregon. She also said that he'd continue to work in California.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 04-05-2019 at 01:52 PM..

Old 04-05-2019, 08:21 PM

119 posts, read 120,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I don't think you understand the situation. People who have lived in those small towns all their life, are leaving everyday, because they can't find any jobs. That means any jobs, of any type. They don't want to leave, but they have no choice. I'm sorry but, your believe that you can swim against the current and find a job in a town, that locals can't find a job in, is just not realistic.

There is a reason that small towns, stay small. If there were jobs, they would not stay small. But if you want to waste your time trying to find a job in a place that doesn't have jobs, go for it.
I don't want to be dis-respectful but you didn't seem to get my drift.

I would not be swimming against any current whatsoever, it's the opposite.

Again,"Tailor made for me" means just that.

It's not a job for everyone, the prerequisites are unique.

This makes it even harder on a small town to fill these positions.

There is also a retention bonus.

Does that mean this particular job and supervisors is going to suit me? No. I may not like the job

I may find out why there is a retention bonus.

Because the few in that small town that did fit the bill, quit for good reason

Hence the reason I mentioned seasonal jobs would work too. So it's not imperative anyhow.

I currently live in a small town which lends itself to understanding them a little better.

Yet spent 15 years living in a town of 20K population (which many considered a small town)

Thanks for your note, I appreciate you taking the time Blessings

Old 04-05-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulippsy View Post
I live in Gold Beach and can answer some of your questions.

Gold Beach has one cannabis dispensary nearby in Wedderburn. I’ve been there. I have never smelled any marijuana smoke in town apart from the smoke in my own living room. You are much more likely to smell cigarette smoke here.

We have a few churches but don’t know if any of them meet your criteria.

I have seen several local businesses advertising for full and part time help. Handyman type people are in pretty short supply, if that’s something your husband could do.

We have a health food store and seasonal farmer’s market.

Plenty of tourists in the summer, although why that’s a priority, I’m not sure.

If you go on a real estate site, you will see that stick built homes start in the 200,000’s. Even fixers. If you are planning to get a mortgage, you have plenty for a down payment. A small, doublewide manufactured home near me sold for $149,00 a few months ago. I’ve been told rentals are expensive and hard to find.

Hope this helps.
It helps alot. I appreciate you and CloudyDayz

Old 04-05-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
My concern for your husband's job would be that it would be part-time, somewhat seasonal and a difficult business to establish, as the handyman type of business is usually more word-of-mouth based than advertising based. The pay as a part-time handyman isn't going to be anywhere near what the pay for a FT construction worker is. Construction in Oregon runs much closer to year-round - you work rain or shine. I know of a couple local companies that send or have sent crews to do construction on the coast to do big houses.

I wouldn't call mountain biking a year-round past time here, either, given the very muddy and wet ground in the Coast Range/Siskiyous. Unless you have a much higher tolerance for mud and slush than I do. There aren't a lot of trails, either, mostly it is just riding Forest Service roads.

You may feel the same way about the dark rainy winter season as you do the snowy season. I'd certainly check that out before I bought a house. Plus 100k is really not going to get you much, if it gets you anything beyond a manufactured home in very bad shape. Cruising through Zillow, it looks like Crescent City is a better option than Oregon coastal cities, although Coos Bay has a few places in that range as well.
Thank you. I have a high tolerance for mud but not crashing due to it so thanks for that tip.

We've done more research since yesterday and funny, we are back to Crescent City again.
Not much there either for that price, right now, just one home. Prefer to stay away from manufacture homes but keeping it open.

Staying closer to home is looking a little more appealing, actually.

The snow here is really heavy. This year we had so much snow it was up to my hips. My husband couldn't keep up with shoveling and
the snow-blowing. It was coming down way too hard. So much so a telephone poll went down in our front yard, luckily it didnt hit the house.

We ran out of power which meant no internet and no electricity. Ran the generator instead. It caused the entire town to be without power for about 2-3 days. Some folks came here to take a shower. I called in sick 2x due to the highway being closed. Rain isn't really on that level of inconvenience, normally. We used to cycle in the rain, considering it wasn't too heavy to blind us.

My husband would want to work here in California for the summer season mid may- beg oct or so
He has friends he's worked with for over a decade. He's shy so needs to maintain those connections.
He has no license to work in Oregon but could obtain one. We should be fine if he works summers in Calif.

Old 04-05-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Uh, her husband works part time now and I didn't see where she said he'd go to full time if they move to Oregon. She also said that he'd continue to work in California.
exactly

Old 04-05-2019, 08:35 PM

5,444 posts, read 7,740,196 times
Did you consider Brookings? Closer to you CA jobs and probably a better place to find work.

Old 04-05-2019, 11:00 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,075,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post

I was kind of wondering about that too. I'm not familiar with with anyone who mountain bikes here, but there does seem to be a good community for it, on the South Coast. People ride bikes on Highway 101 pretty much year round. So I guess they can probably ride them on trails year round too. But I agree that riding in the mud doesn't sound like much fun.

Ride the Whiskey Run Mountain Bike Trail - Travel Oregon

Old 04-06-2019, 09:01 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLakota View Post
.........5. We have only 100k to spend on a home. ...........

You are going to have a very difficult time finding a home for only $100,000 anywhere in Oregon. Fixers and foreclosures don't sell that low. I don't think you can even get an old mobile home in Christmas Valley for that cheap.

I suggest that you take a serious look at housing prices before you start packing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon