Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 07:12 PM

3 posts, read 7,448 times

Advertisements

Any recommendations for locales for someone retiring or near retirement with no interest in being a vegetable?

Interests: fly fishing (stream/lake), walking, hiking, golf.

Weather: I have heard the "banana belt" from Brookings going toward 5 to the north has nice weather but I have no first hand experience.

Rain: I would expect rain in Oregon but something "mid-range" in the volume would be nice. I seem to be leaning more towards the lower half of the state. Bend area... used to be nice 20 years ago but it's so developed now that I am hesitant.

I don't want to live in a dumpy area with druggies. No condo's. A perfect setup would be 3 acres on a river (yes, hard to find).

Opinions and commentary appreciated.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 09:21 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,110 times
There are still riverfront properties available on the Williamson, Wood, and Sprague Rivers.

Whether you want to pay the asking price is another story.

This one looks nice on the net......

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2011 at 06:02 AM..

Old 03-19-2011, 09:23 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
If you are willing to let "semi-retired" translate as "unemployed" check out Roseburg/Glide. The North Umpqua has a barbless hook fly fishing only area that is THE premier fly fishing river in North America. There is also lake fishing for rainbow at Diamond Lake, cutthroat steelhead on the lower Umpqua, salmon runs all over the place, and the ocean is an hour and a half away. You can snowshoe or cross country into Crater Lake in the winter, and you can do short sections of the Pacific Crest Trail.

There's also a regional VA hospital if you are a vet. Golf I don't know about. There's a country club west of Roseburg and a municipal golf course in Roseburg.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:38 PM

Well... I am a vet and semi-retired would probably translated to retired but far from a rest home. I have done catch and release for 25 years so... the North Umpqua has a substantial appeal. I do a lot of float tubing in the Tahoe region, Sierras.. and a bit north of that. I am not into crowds, want a decent non-druggie atmosphere, a certain quality of life that working for 40 years has (IMHO) been earned. Old enough to retire but not old enough to "stop". Nice to have decent people around, too, just not on a 1/6th of an acre lot. Yes, asking a lot but I have to be honest with myself (and others). Thanks for the reply !!!

Old 03-19-2011, 09:41 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
Rogue Valley (Ashland, Medford, Grants Pass) is nice too. We have a VA hospital in White City, I believe. Great fishing on the Rogue, and other coastal rivers.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:14 AM

5,456 posts, read 8,169,998 times
You might consider Northeast Oregon:
Welcome to Eagle Cap Wilderness Online! Backpacking, Hiking, Fishing and Hunting information resources
Eagle Cap Wilderness- Joseph, oregon
Wild herd of bison roams base of Wallowa Mountains in Oregon | OregonLive.com

Old 03-20-2011, 04:14 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
Brookings is mild on temps but not on rain-78 inches per year.

All the areas previously mentioned are worth considering.

It can narrow down if you decide how big a city you want to be near and how near you want to be.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:03 PM

Well... not really interested in a big city. A smaller community, yes. Not interested in isolation, rather, lack of crowds, reasonable amenities/stores within 10-20 miles, something around the size of Jacksonville, maybe a bit bigger, closer to Roseburg...

Old 03-20-2011, 05:25 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
If you want river land near a town close in size to Roseburg,

I'd consider land near Myrtle Creek south of Roseburg;

Near Wolf Creek or Rogue River outside of Grants Pass (or maybe north of Eagle Point);

Elgin, Union and North Powder outside LaGrande;

or maybe Keno SW of Klamath Falls or possibly further out.

LaGrande is probably the safest / lowest problem area. Its location is probably the biggest thing that keeps it from being discovered or picked much.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:48 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,202 times
NW Crow definately has it dialed in.

Myrtle Creek and Rogue River are both awesome little towns, with RR having a more woodsy sportsman atmosphere. Plus it's right on the river.

DO NOT discount the Bend area, it's a world class fly fishing mecca.
Just stay out of Bend and you'll be fine.
There are still some nice areas in Central Oregon that don't have that touristy "Oregon for Californians" vibe that towns like Bend and Ashland have.
The weather isn't too bad, just considered a bit extreme in temperatures by soggy Willamette Valley/Portlanders.

For some good local Oregon fly fishing info read this forum:
Might give you some ideas.
http://www.west-fly-fishing.com/foru...Board=4&page=1

If you are moving to Oregon with an income independent of our economy, the whole state is your oyster. Have Fun!!!

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 03-20-2011 at 09:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon