Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2008, 09:03 PM

8 posts, read 55,569 times

Advertisements

I was born and rasied in the South bay area of Los Angles County. I went to the same High School as the Beach Boys. Southern California is not even close to the same place it was 20 years ago. So. Cal used to be the most layed back place on earth. Christ that whole laid back (stoner) culture came from So. Cal.

The area is now fubar their is really now middle class. The Manhattan and Redondo Beach area is like firking NY. The surounding areas are some of the worst urban ghettos in the nation.

My wife mother side of the family are all from Oregon, infact her Great Grandfather homsteaded in the Monmoth area around 1920. My wife's Grandma talks us into taking a trip up to OR last summer since my wife had never been. What an cool state. the drivers were freindly the people were warm and friendly. I just don't see how anyone could say that the people of Oregon are rude. We loved it so much we are thinking of moving there.

Maybe all the cool people from So. Cal moved to OR and that's Why L.A. sucks so much.

Oregon Rocks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 09:05 PM

3,567 posts, read 3,736,026 times
Thanks - those of us here think it "Rocks" too.

Old 04-12-2008, 05:47 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
There are rude people all over the planet. I actually found, coming from Chicago area, that Portlanders were much nicer. Sometimes I wish the cashier's in Salem were a little less helpful...it makes for some long lines at the grocery stores sometimes.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:07 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Bigwhite,

I grew up in the same area as you did! I went to Costa and my dad went to Redondo HS. The South Bay was an awesome place to live 20-30+ years ago. Ok, I'm showing my age. But it became such a different place and so over priced and over crowded that we left several years ago to CO. They call it secondary migration. The 'entire world' converged on our little piece of fun and paradise. And I could not not see raising my children there. Most schools in Hermosa Beach where I grew up became high rise townhomes. Pretty sad... The young families left and the big $$ moved in.

Anyway CO has been a breath of fresh air for us. But alas I am a beach boy at heart. I really don't like that I can't just get in my car and 'DRIVE' to the coast. So now we are looking into the PNW. Here was my backyard growing up:

I know the PNW isn't anything like S. Cal. in terms of weather or jobs. But my wife and I have come to realize that everything is a tradeoff. There really is no perfect place, just a different set of pros/cons. I think I'm ready to trade the crowds of S. Cal. and the 300 days of high altitude sunny days, snow and sub freezing winter days of CO for rain, clouds and the raw beauty of the PNW. Plus the sun does break out up there, just not as often which keeps it from being over developed like our home. This shot of HB Pier was taken in the Winter BTW.

- Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 04-13-2008 at 09:15 PM..

Old 04-15-2008, 09:26 PM

24 posts, read 96,669 times
I love that photo! It's Awesome! I was raised with a backyard similar to that!

Old 04-15-2008, 10:55 PM

Thanks Gemfem29. Here is one more from the South Bay, where I grew up. It reminds me of why I miss the Ocean. If you live near it don't take it for granted! Enjoy it and be grateful.

I haven't seen the coast in over two years. And we are taking a family vacation to the PNW in three weeks. I am so excited to smell the sea again!

Old 04-16-2008, 09:55 AM

920 posts, read 2,813,645 times
I was also born and raised in the South Bay, I miss the way it used to be. The beaches are still gorgeous, though. I go have a cocktail at Tony's on the Redondo Beach Pier whenever I'm in town. Can't beat the view from up there!

Old 04-16-2008, 03:03 PM

8 posts, read 55,569 times
I remeber going to Tonys all the time when I was a kid. Any one remeber the Bay 90's over The Cattlemens.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:55 PM

Yes, I remember the Cattlemens before the Storm took it out and much of that section of the Redondo Pier. I had friends in HS that surfed the Redondo Breakwall during that storm with 20-30' waves!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: