Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 11:09 AM

8 posts, read 8,267 times

Advertisements

Hello all, new here. We are looking at moving to OR next year.
We have 2 teenage boys and a home based business. With job market not a factor, just good internet -
what are some good places to start looking at? I don't know where to begin!

Our criteria:
smaller town less than 25,000 people
a more liberal population than conservative
higher elevation with less than 1 hour to skiing
less than 1 hour to larger chain type stores/retail shopping
a plus - regular thunderstorms instead of drought conditions!
Any help is appreciated!

Old 11-15-2017, 11:34 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,299,608 times
You are describing Ashland in Southern Oregon, I would start your search there.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:36 PM

15,574 posts, read 40,417,480 times
The hour to skiing is very restrictive. So I'd look at Sandy and Ashland.

McMinnville would work too, but it is more than an hour to skiing.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:49 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,700 posts, read 58,022,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceseeker13 View Post
We have 2 teenage boys and a home based business. With job market not a factor, just good internet -

1) Why Oregon? (WA State (2 minutes north of Oregon / Same climate / better schools / NO income tax) offers FREE Full time College instead of wasting time in High School - bonus = NO (School) social pressures for your kids with the move) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running_Start

2) Lots of rain in PNW westside, but very rare to have thunder or lightning (3x in 30 yrs). Just DRIZZLE (200+ days / yr.) +/-

3) Higher elevation... not too many choices of 'high' cities on Westside of Cascades (MT is nice and high)

4) East side Higher towns are pretty dry... (WA and OR)

For your desires... (wet and close to snow / shopping) Ashland might be as close as you can get in OR, or Sisters or Bend area (will be pretty dry)

WA, Look into Cashmere / Sedro Woolley / Bellingham (Very nice to be near Vancouver, Canada for skiing / cultural events + Great skiiing in BC and Alberta rockies)

For HS Internet... much of Northern and eastern WA are fibered (due to Hydro dams offering the infrastructure. )

To be NEAR to Oregon (benefits) yet to be in WA, ... 300 Oregonians / month move to Camas, WA and surrounding county. 10 minutes to PDX to JET outt here for sun and ski. Just booked 8 flights to Colorado sun for Dec - March ($44 one-way)

all within 1 hr
Mtns, Coast, Big River, Volcano, Skiiing XC and DH, great Columbia Gorge hiking and kayaking...

within 30 min:
20+ colleges
100+ food trucks

Shopping / airport <15 min

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 11-15-2017 at 01:07 PM..

Old 11-15-2017, 12:53 PM

15,417 posts, read 9,059,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceseeker13 View Post

Our criteria:
smaller town less than 25,000 people
a more liberal population than conservative
higher elevation with less than 1 hour to skiing
less than 1 hour to larger chain type stores/retail shopping
a plus - regular thunderstorms instead of drought conditions!
Any help is appreciated!
Ashland is your only option, that comes close to your criteria, outside of maybe some of the Portland suburbs. But the climate is pretty dry, most of the year. There are no regular thunderstorms anywhere in Oregon. If thunderstorms are important, you should be looking east of the Rocky Mountains. You need to visit the state, because I don't think you understand anything about the climate of Oregon.

Last edited by Cloudy Dayz; 11-15-2017 at 01:03 PM..

Old 11-15-2017, 01:37 PM

8 posts, read 8,267 times
To clarify yes, we have not actually visited OR yet. We want to be where there are four seasons instead of hundred percent humidity. Kids like to ski. Lived in Co for 6 years loved it there but disliked the dry climate, but not why we moved. Looking for an adventure and to live near more politically like-minded people instead of senior citizens/snowbirds here in FL.
The thunderstorms were a bonus idea -to be clear.

Old 11-15-2017, 02:11 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,235,909 times
Consider Idaho in your search.

Old 11-15-2017, 02:19 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Ashland is your only option, that comes close to your criteria, outside of maybe some of the Portland suburbs. But the climate is pretty dry, most of the year. There are no regular thunderstorms anywhere in Oregon. If thunderstorms are important, you should be looking east of the Rocky Mountains. You need to visit the state, because I don't think you understand anything about the climate of Oregon.
Maybe not though, there are lots of senior citizens living in Ashland and the OP said they don't want to live around them.

Old 11-15-2017, 02:46 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,674,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwoody View Post
You are describing Ashland in Southern Oregon, I would start your search there.
Except for the drought conditions. Ashland is on the edge of the Siskiyou. Summer forest fires and sub-10% humidity are pretty common. Also, Mt. Ashland is not always open, though most years you can get some skiing there. During the drought, Mt. Ashland didn't open at all.

Old 11-15-2017, 05:48 PM

679 posts, read 877,489 times
Greetings, former Floridian here.

I can certainly appreciate your desire to leave Florida, however your requirements are pretty specific and some of them are somewhat contradictory. Smaller towns in Oregon will be more conservative than the cities, just like the rest of the US.

Ashland hits the most things on your list. Liberal, has shopping and skiing, but is filled with retirees just like Florida and has more than 25,000 population. It’s also expensive and has a very dry climate. Last year in the Rogue Valley I can remember relative humidity in the teens. It doesn’t rain from May til October. So, yeah, drought type conditions....

Just curious, but why Oregon if you have never been here?

Anyway, I’m happy to answer any questions you might have regarding relocation from Florida. Happy hunting....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon