Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 02:48 PM

5 posts, read 4,120 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from Michigan with 3 horses and a small internet sales business. I love the southern coastal properties however am wondering what areas are available near other "horse people" and which beaches allow access to horses on the coastline? Please help, will be taking a road trip from the southern coast toward Medford the end of this month to check it out and would be lovely to know more about the horse communities before I travel there! Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 03:34 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
I know there is a horse camp at Bullard's Beach in Bandon and have seen horses on the beach there. I've also seen horses on the beach near Florence and Manzanita, and I know there is a small horse camp at Cape Blanco. The area in Florence that allows horses is near the dunes where the OHV areas are and might be dual use.

But most horse properties and communities are inland where it is much drier than the coast. Although Brookings is just above 40" of rain a year, anyplace north of that is 60-90" of rain a year.

Also, many communities, rural areas and even small towns in Oregon are not well served by internet companies, if you have an internet business you'd need to check very carefully.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 08-05-2019, 07:30 PM

991 posts, read 1,520,064 times
The main horse areas in Oregon, are around Wilsonville and Bend. I'm not sure how good the veterinarian situation is on the coast? I don't really think of the coast as a destination for horse owners, though riding on the beach is fantastic! The beaches go on for miles, and many of the campgrounds are set up with corrals for over-nighting.

Old 08-06-2019, 12:35 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,075,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnwrsl View Post
I'm moving from Michigan with 3 horses and a small internet sales business. I love the southern coastal properties however am wondering what areas are available near other "horse people" and which beaches allow access to horses on the coastline? Please help, will be taking a road trip from the southern coast toward Medford the end of this month to check it out and would be lovely to know more about the horse communities before I travel there! Thanks!!!
You are looking for a property near the beach to keep your horses? I think the chances of finding something like that is close to zero. Why don't you consider moving to Florence and boarding your horses at the C&M Stables. Boarding for three horses will cost you about $1,000 a month, but I don't think you or your horses will find anything better, anywhere. It is very nice and would give you direct access to the Coast Horse Trail System, including Baker Beach.

Boarding Rates and Information _ C&M Stables

Old 08-06-2019, 08:57 AM

Thank you for your response! We'll definitely check out your area, even though it is a bit further north than we wanted to be all options are open! I have only boarded my horses a few times during my life and if at all possible, I love having them at home with me! Altho during a transition move while building a barn could be possible, along with meeting other like minded equine enthusiasts!

Old 08-06-2019, 09:15 AM

Yes, one of the big concerns about moving to any area is the veterinary and hoof care availability. Also, yes the internet connection and easy access for UPS pick up & delivery is mandatory for our business. We are hoping to find something in the southern part of Oregon, as our kids & grandkids live in Davis, CA and we would like to be close enough without having to live in N. CA. Is the coast not favorable to keep horses due to the dampness or lack of good services? I've heard the Bend area is perfect for horse lovers, unfortunately it is too far north and (shockingly) expensive. The option of finding something more inland where it doesn't get too hot and trailering to the beach when possible could work.
So happy to get responses from ya'll in the know, thank you!

Old 08-06-2019, 09:20 AM

All good information and will check out the mentioned areas. It's looking like a coastal property may not be possible for horse property and good internet service...maybe we'll find something at least 10 miles inland? Hard to tell with maps & pictures, so looking forward to our visit the end of this month.

Old 08-06-2019, 10:42 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
Quote:
All good information and will check out the mentioned areas. It's looking like a coastal property may not be possible for horse property and good internet service...maybe we'll find something at least 10 miles inland? Hard to tell with maps & pictures, so looking forward to our visit the end of this month.
The coast is divided from the inland valleys by a mountain range, so that there really aren't any cities in between, in general there are the small cities strung along the coast and then the larger inland cities in the valleys.

If you are looking at the Bandon area, Coquille and Myrtle Point are inland a bit - somewhat out of the wind and fog. Looking at the real estate sites I see some coastal properties listed as "horse" properties, but if you are looking at pasture land, be sure to look at it during the wet season and check the flood maps for the area carefully.

You might look west of Eugene for properties, there are some smaller towns on the valley side of the coast road.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 08-06-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Thank you for your response! We'll definitely check out your area, even though it is a bit further north than we wanted to be all options are open! I have only boarded my horses a few times during my life and if at all possible, I love having them at home with me! Altho during a transition move while building a barn could be possible, along with meeting other like minded equine enthusiasts!
How much are you willing to pay? Enough acreage on the coast to raise three horses would probably cost at least $1 million, just for the land alone. Add another couple hundred thousand for the home. That is if you can find that much land, which I doubt you can. I've seen a few properties that might work for that, but I would guess they don't go on the market often.

Old 08-06-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
The coast is divided from the inland valleys by a mountain range, so that there really aren't any cities in between, in general there are the small cities strung along the coast and then the larger inland cities in the valleys.

If you are looking at the Bandon area, Coquille and Myrtle Point are inland a bit - somewhat out of the wind and fog. Looking at the real estate sites I see some coastal properties listed as "horse" properties, but if you are looking at pasture land, be sure to look at it during the wet season and check the flood maps for the area carefully.

You might look west of Eugene for properties, there are some smaller towns on the valley side of the coast road.
Coquille would be the OP's best bet. There is a fair amount of ranch and farmland around there. Looking at listings, the land seems to be pretty cheap too, but it looks to be mostly timber land. I'm not sure how well that would work for grazing horses. If the OP could find a good horse property in Coquille, I think it would be pricey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon