Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 02:09 PM

5,456 posts, read 8,169,998 times

Advertisements

The lightning-caused Granite Gulch Fire in the Eagle Cap Wilderness in the Wallowa Whitman National Forest in Northeast Oregon has been burning for a couple of months. It is more than 5500 acres. Because it was naturally caused, the Forest Service has been managing it but has no intention of extinguishing it unless it gets out of control. https://www.fireweatheravalanche.org...ite-gulch-fire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 07:48 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Just got back from 9 days in the Cascades - couple of good days but several pretty rainy ones. All of our camping trips this year (starting in March) have been rained on. I expect to see some rain (and occasionally snow) in March and April, but May, June, July and September I don't. Our timing this year was atrocious, too, it would be sunny the week before or the week after we went camping. Just one of those years, lol - glad I am not a tent camper anymore.

IN the beginning, when we tent camped, sometimes i brought my 1951 chevie pickup. I made sideboards up about 2'. I made an upside down v simple frame on top of sideboards...^...Covered it with a tarp. Worked reel good. Had comfy, warm sleeping bags. We have many wonderful memories fishing, camping exploring BLM lands, taking beautiful photos...

Old 10-03-2019, 02:43 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
I just picked 10 lbs. of Agaricus Campestris (meadow mushrooms). I could easily have picked 3x as much, and not a bug in the bunch. What a great year! It rained early enough to fruit the wild mushrooms before first frost.

They are in the pan right now, and will be frozen in small batches. Mushroom Soup! Mushroom spaghetti made with wild mushrooms and late season tomatoes.

PNW cuisine: Start with the best tasting food in the world, and don't screw it up.

Old 01-03-2020, 02:41 PM

I ran across another weather page, based in Southern Oregon.

Rogue Weather, https://rogueweather.com/index.php

This is shaping up as a really ugly water year. The entire Oregon Cascades are at less than 50% of normal snowpack. Timberline is reporting a 38" base today - in January! I heard a rumor, unverified, that the McKenzie River drainage is at 24% of normal snowpack.

The USDA runs a web page on water resources.

https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal...cs142p2_046169

Old 01-03-2020, 03:56 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
Rogue Weather is good, also Ryanweather for local weather. I keep a spreadsheet of the water year, which goes back to roughly 2007 - we are at 4.24" of rain since Oct 1 (the normal total is 8.1). In my record keeping the only year below this year was the 2013/2014 water year, which was at 2.25".

That is for the valley floor in the Rogue Valley and the Cascade snowpack is also around 50% of normal. While Nov, Dec, Jan are usually our heaviest precip periods, many years we've caught up (or close) in Jan-Feb.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 01-06-2020, 03:31 PM

KPIC night before last said snow pack in the Willamette drainage is 25% of normal. I don't know what that means, since real life is not a strong suit for most reporters. Does that mean 25% of normal for this date, or 25% of normal spring snow pack. The federal numbers just say, "less than 50%."

Old 01-06-2020, 04:15 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
If you google the SNOTEL reports, most of the Willamette drainage is currently at 30% of average for this time. The east slope of the Cascades is near 43%.

SNOTEL is the water equivalent, so a heavy wet snowpack will read higher than a light but thicker snowpack.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 01-07-2020, 09:48 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
It's raining right now, southwest mountains,has been most of the day.

weather.com
states except for Thursday, mostly rain/snow for the next 10 days...maybe...
We need the rain/snow...

Old 01-08-2020, 02:49 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
It's raining right now, southwest mountains,has been most of the day.

weather.com
states except for Thursday, mostly rain/snow for the next 10 days...maybe...
We need the rain/snow...
I hope so. It would be nice the get the abnormally dry and moderate drought conditions down to normal. The North Coast and the South Coast actually looks pretty good right now. It could be a nice smoke free summer.

Old 01-08-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I hope so. It would be nice the get the abnormally dry and moderate drought conditions down to normal. The North Coast and the South Coast actually looks pretty good right now. It could be a nice smoke free summer.
Winter rain and snowpack has little effect on summer wildfires. A wet late spring will result in a heavy ground level fuel load, and a long rainless period makes things combustible.

2018 was a good fire year in Oregon because we had some rain in September.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon