U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2020, 12:12 AM

3,029 posts, read 1,346,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Nick Zenter is an excellant teacher but he is a professor in WA state, after all, and he needs to provide lectures for his constituancy. He has a couple of excellent Cascadia Fault lectures and one discussing the movement of plates in the PNW, stuff none of us would know about until he shared. His lectures are informative and entertaining... unless you want to watch those about obscure rock formations in eastern Washington (boring IMHO),

An Oregon geologist did a presentation to a group in Bremerton that is excellent. Because the potential of a rupture of the Cascadia fault is such a sore subject to some PM me and I will send a link to the YouTube video of that presentation.
Sorry, I should have picked out a different video out of his many, many videos. But I felt rushed to edit my post before the editing time ran out. I didn't want the other poster to go to any trouble to find that link I asked for. Also my computer was giving me grief with page unresponsive for no apparent reason. Nick does cover this topic as well as the whole PNW, and people will be able to follow that link over, and look for the appropriate video if they wish. This was just a starting point if they were curious about how the quake prone PNW works. Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2020, 02:10 AM

I should have used this video instead. But I messed up, and it's too late to change it now, my apologies. This includes Oregon, and the Cascadia Fault if anyone is interested, enjoy. (At 72 I don't always think of things when I should. But I try, lol) The Cascadia Fault which runs offshore from BC past Washington, Oregon, to northern California, and it's relation to slow quakes, or episodic tremor, and slips, and the huge 9.0 quakes the Cascadia is known for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHLR...h_B5R&index=37

Last edited by mlulu23; 09-29-2020 at 02:54 AM..

Old 09-29-2020, 12:22 PM

10,684 posts, read 18,112,212 times
Nick spends 10 minutes setting up. Forward to 11 minutes for the meat of the video. In one of his videos he did a little dance to illustrate the surface movement. "U-dub" is the University of Washington. Here is a link to the ETS event graphic used as an illustration. https://www.pnsn.org/tremor/tremor-l...of-summer-2019

Nick's answer to the New Yorker article: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW4D6OE7Qkc&t=480s

Here is another presentation, this one by Dr. Chris Goldfinger of Oregon State University
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBLMgkA3nHM&t=68s

The Washington coast has few communities while the Oregon coast has a significant resident population.

Last edited by Nell Plotts; 09-29-2020 at 01:15 PM..

Old 09-29-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Nick spends 10 minutes setting up. Forward to 11 minutes for the meat of the video. In one of his videos he did a little dance to illustrate the surface movement. Here is a link to the ETS event graphic used as an illustration.

Nick's answer to the Atlantic article:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW4D6OE7Qkc&t=480s

Here is another presentation, this one by Dr. Chris Goldfinger of Oregon State University
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBLMgkA3nHM&t=68s

The Washington coast has few communities while the Oregon coast has a significant resident population.
Yes, of course, Goldfinger is a highly regarded earthquake expert. I posted a video of his about Coos Bay earlier in this thread. Nick quotes him often. But I was responding to a couple posts about geology teachers, and Nick is an excellent one. That was the whole point of the short exchange. I was asked if I had seen his at home videos, thus the videos I posted. As I explained, if I had more time to edit I would have just chosen the second one, and deleted the first.

Also earlier Metlakatla put up a slow quake video, and Nick's video on that related subject helps fill in the blanks as well as slow quakes might precede the big quakes. Nick's teaching techniques are very valuable tools whether it is dancing, or using a fruitcake as an illustration. The comment sections consistently sing his praises. At any rate, thank you for these two videos.

Last edited by mlulu23; 09-29-2020 at 01:39 PM..

Old 12-01-2020, 09:42 AM

934 posts, read 1,853,511 times
I stumbled in here trying to find out more about the homeless situation in Coos Bay/North Bend (my question was: why do there seem to be so terribly many in comparison to other places, or is it just me?) -

And then...I land on tsunami/earthquakes/Big One, lol.

We moved here a few months ago from Dallas TX when my husband's job went remote (thank you, Lord! YES!) and we found we could move away- I mean...Dallas is ok, but it's huge, hot, humid, and the biting bugs there are not your average bug, these things are brutal, big, aggressive, and will smack and laugh at you before they sink their fangs/stingers into you...but that's for another day, lol...

Coastal living always appealed to us as I'm sure it would to anyone, I'm originally from California so I've had beaches within easy proximity for the majority of my life- husband is from Detroit area of Michigan, I've been on this site for a long time so anyone who looks would notice we've lived in a few places, to say the least-lol. But at this point, and given the whole Covid business, we saw the opportunity to make a 'run for it', and in spite of how horrific this whole pandemic thing has been for everyone, I'm sure, it was an amazing opportunity for us to relocate, and for my husband to keep his job as well (he's in IT)- so, yeah...lol. California coast price-wise was just out of the question- Washington coast was pretty well out of the question price-wise as well, not to mention it gets really cold there in the winter given its proximity to Canada- beautiful, but I'll pass, tyvm!

Oregon coast....as baby bear said in the Three Bears...."This one is Jusssst Rigggghhht", lol. The rugged beauty of the forests, the ocean within 5 minutes, Sasquatch, jeepers, Batman- it was the best of everywhere either of us had ever lived, and it was affordable. We bought a house, did our walk-through online with our realtor due to covid during the summer- I won't lie, on the calliope we have a tendency to grab the brass ring if it comes our way- Oregon turned out to be our final brass ring, lol~

Ok! So!

I noticed 'Tsunami Route' signs here and there, lol- asked at the downtown Coos Bay Visitor's Center and the guy looked up where our house was- seems we're high enough to be ok, unless the ocean decides to empty out with something out of The Perfect Storm or that other movie, 2012, in which case....well, you get the picture!

Earthquakes-

Having been born, raised, spent the majority of my adult life in California, I've been through earthquakes- especially when I was young and we lived in the middle of the Mojave Desert- literally- and the town was directly on the San Andreas Fault- we would have at least one hellacious earthquake a year, and even though I was in elementary school when they happened, I remember details, baby! Not pretty, very scary...when I told my husband about them (and the fact that the Oregon coast could possibly get some as well), he turned a couple of shades paler since freezing rain during winter is about the worst he's experienced, lol (I'd rather the earthquake, I hated Michigan winters, lol).

I've also spent loads of time growing up visiting the L.A. area/relatives who lived there- I grew up hearing about 'The Big One' that was expected, and California breaking off and sliding into the ocean (many figured it's what Cali deserved, hahaha)- it terrified me as a kid, I mean...hippies back in the day were writing songs about it and stuff, lol ("Hey, where you go.....when there ain't no San Fran-Cis-Co....")- all joking aside, I realize the tectonic plates are going to do a nasty, wicked shift at some point, and the underground volcanic business will probably be set off then- which, in turn, will set off tsunamis, etc., all along the Pacific Coast....

...but until then? I don't want to live in Dallas, God bless the friendly people and the amazing Tex-Mex food (Mariano's Hacienda in Dallas, oooommmmmyyy woooorrrd....), I don't want to live in Nebraska, or Michigan, or even California....the weather here in Coos Bay is a tad wonky at times- but example, today...it's going to be sunny and somewhere in the 50s- sure beats tornado alley in TX, freezing rain in MI, and freezing rain/snow/AND tornadoes in NE!

I'm happy to be back on this side of the country ......and btw....why are there so many homeless on every freaking corner here, is it because the 'devil's lettuce' is legal here? lol

Old 12-01-2020, 05:27 PM

22,429 posts, read 29,853,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostie View Post

......and btw....why are there so many homeless on every freaking corner here, is it because the 'devil's lettuce' is legal here? lol
No, it isn't.

Old 12-01-2020, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
No, it isn't.

No, it isn't.....legal? Or that's not the reason? I've lived a lot of places, and this has to be the heaviest population of homeless I think I've ever seen- there must be a reason, what is it?

Old 12-01-2020, 07:19 PM

22,429 posts, read 29,853,728 times
Quote:
No, it isn't.....legal? Or that's not the reason? I've lived a lot of places, and this has to be the heaviest population of homeless I think I've ever seen- there must be a reason, what is it?
The issue predates legal cannabis, is fairly common all up and down the west coast, and has a combination of complex causes. Cannabis isn't going to turn anyone homeless (people of all walks of life indulge), and it was probably easier for marginalized people to obtain it before it was legalized.

I'd suggest volunteering at a shelter; you'll hear many stories of how people end up homeless.

Old 12-01-2020, 11:19 PM

4,108 posts, read 5,224,886 times
Quote:
I stumbled in here trying to find out more about the homeless situation in Coos Bay/North Bend (my question was: why do there seem to be so terribly many in comparison to other places, or is it just me?) -
You get what you pay for. If you go to the downscale and depressed community on the entire Oregon Coast, expect to find more downscale and economically depressed folks around.

If you want a more upscale community with less homeless that's easy enough to find on the coast. You'll just have to pay more than what I expect the median home price is in Coos Bay. Places like Cannon Beach and Manzanita don't seem to have much in the way of homeless or vagrants. Places further south like Bandon and Brookings don't seem to either, although it's been a while since I've been down there.

Old 12-02-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
The issue predates legal cannabis, is fairly common all up and down the west coast, and has a combination of complex causes. Cannabis isn't going to turn anyone homeless (people of all walks of life indulge), and it was probably easier for marginalized people to obtain it before it was legalized.

I'd suggest volunteering at a shelter; you'll hear many stories of how people end up homeless.

I never much thought cannabis could 'turn' anyone homeless, I was being humorous, not serious... volunteering at a shelter and asking people to tell me their stories on how they became homeless, will tell me 'how' they became homeless- I think that if statistics were gathered across the country, there would probably be several reasons that would stand out as to 'why' people are/become homeless and the experts would begin to see a pattern emerge, no doubt- I wasn't asking what happened, or why- I'm well aware that ugly life situations happen to almost everyone at one time or another, and becoming homeless can result in some of them.

I'm asking why there are so many HERE, as opposed to other places, because I see quite a few of them with signs wanting help with a bus ticket back HOME. Ploy? Not sure. But I doubt they are all from Coos Bay/North Bend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon