Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2021, 11:20 PM

37 posts, read 143,500 times

Advertisements

I've been on this wonderful and informative forum a few times. I've been contemplating a move from San Diego to Ashland for the past several years but haven't made the decision yet........

I'm one of those types of people who has a decent amount of savings and social security income but not enough to buy a house.....or at least anything over $300K. I am single so I don't mind living in an apartment and living a simple life. I've noticed there are some senior income restricted apartments (can't make more than $41K) such as the Ashley apartments that are very affordable (around $700 a month).

I was wondering if anyone knows someone who lives in the Ashley apartments or any other similar residential housing for seniors? Just looking for some feedback to the pros and cons of living in these types of apartments. I'm also open to renting a guest house or condo but I've noticed that decent rentals are scarce and I'd probably have to pay from $1K to 1.5K a month for something that is not targeted for seniors. It's not that I can't afford to pay more but I'd be living more comfortably if I kept my rent below $1K.

Then I could join the tennis club in Ashland and buy an electric bike

Also, I don't mind being on the south end of town as it's located close to the Market of Choice. Not that I don't like the co-op but it gets pretty crowded downtown.

I've put myself on the waiting list at Ashley......might be six months to a year wait but that's okay with me.

Old 06-02-2021, 10:04 AM

32,484 posts, read 47,425,133 times
Ashland is not the most expensive place in Oregon but it make s the top 2-3. That makes it an odd choice for a person with limited income.

Old 06-02-2021, 11:53 AM

I am fully aware of the cost of living in Ashland......thanks for pointing that out. I have family in other areas of Oregon (mainly Eugene) and would like to live closer to them yet not in their backyard..... I'm also drawn to Ashland for its small town atmosphere and close proximity to nature. The cost of living where I live now is much higher than in Ashland but I"m not moving for that reason although it will certainly help. Like I said before, I live a simple life, rarely drive my car (which is paid off), have zero debt, decent amount of savings, don't plan on buying real estate therefore I'll have no property taxes; in fact my rent will probably be less than what people pay for their property taxes.

The purpose of my question was to ask if someone knew anything about the Ashley apartments or other senior apartments in the area (I might be willing to live in Talent but not Medford). There are hardly any reviews on the internet so I'm reaching out to others who might have some feedback.

Old 06-02-2021, 12:29 PM

711 posts, read 575,969 times
I don't know anything about the Ashley apartments, but I lived in Ashland for 20 years (moved away in 2019) and totally endorse your plan! It's a superb little town. If you can get an apartment or other dwelling that fits your budget, it's a perfect place to retire. Talent's nice, but I bet you'd regret not holding out for Ashland.

Old 06-02-2021, 12:46 PM

Thanks for your kind reply Jessie and endorsing my plan. It's always nice to gain a vote of confidence when one contemplates a big move.

Yes, I'm 99% sure I'll stay in Ashland.

I also follow a spiritual path that has quite a few members in Ashland for being such a small town, so I'll most likely settle there.

I hope you are happy in your new surroundings.

Old 06-03-2021, 03:04 AM

15,189 posts, read 8,778,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirdad View Post
I've been on this wonderful and informative forum a few times. I've been contemplating a move from San Diego to Ashland for the past several years but haven't made the decision yet........

I'm one of those types of people who has a decent amount of savings and social security income but not enough to buy a house.....or at least anything over $300K. I am single so I don't mind living in an apartment and living a simple life. I've noticed there are some senior income restricted apartments (can't make more than $41K) such as the Ashley apartments that are very affordable (around $700 a month).

I was wondering if anyone knows someone who lives in the Ashley apartments or any other similar residential housing for seniors? Just looking for some feedback to the pros and cons of living in these types of apartments. I'm also open to renting a guest house or condo but I've noticed that decent rentals are scarce and I'd probably have to pay from $1K to 1.5K a month for something that is not targeted for seniors. It's not that I can't afford to pay more but I'd be living more comfortably if I kept my rent below $1K.

Then I could join the tennis club in Ashland and buy an electric bike

Also, I don't mind being on the south end of town as it's located close to the Market of Choice. Not that I don't like the co-op but it gets pretty crowded downtown.

I've put myself on the waiting list at Ashley......might be six months to a year wait but that's okay with me.
Jackson County has been hit hard by a major disaster. Currently 2,500 people in Southern Oregon are homeless or living in FEMA trailers. Those people will be ahead of you for any housing that becomes available. You absolutely, positively, will not be able to rent an apartment in Ashland at any price for the foreseeable future. Unless you want to be homeless living on the street or in a vehicle, stay in San Diego.

Southern Oregon families displaced by wildfires get temporary housing, hope - oregonlive.com

Old 06-03-2021, 03:26 AM

26,484 posts, read 36,317,502 times
The complex the OP is interested in is income-restricted senior citizen housing. He'll be on a waitlist, which he already knows, he'll only be competing with very few, if any, of those who lost homes after last year's fire in Talent.

Ashland is on the top of my current short list, OP. I rented an Airbnb for a couple of weeks later on this summer, and I noticed something interesting while I was looking at different temporary rentals — a lot of them have a minimum stay of 30 days, and some of the prices were somewhat reasonable. Might be an idea while you're waiting on the Ashely complex to have something.

Old 06-03-2021, 04:26 AM

15,189 posts, read 8,778,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
The complex the OP is interested in is income-restricted senior citizen housing. He'll be on a waitlist, which he already knows, he'll only be competing with very few, if any, of those who lost homes after last year's fire in Talent.

Ashland is on the top of my current short list, OP. I rented an Airbnb for a couple of weeks later on this summer, and I noticed something interesting while I was looking at different temporary rentals — a lot of them have a minimum stay of 30 days, and some of the prices were somewhat reasonable. Might be an idea while you're waiting on the Ashely complex to have something.
In the OPs budget of less then $1,000 a month? I'm not sure why you think that senior citizens would not be impacted by the fires. I know people who have lived in Medford for decades because they have never been able to rent a place in Ashland. I can not imagine why the situation is not 1000 times worse now. The complex the OP wants to rent in is only 40 units, and only half of the units are subsidized. The non-subsidized units would not be in their price range. So the OP is shooting to get into one of 20 units, in the middle of a disaster area, with thousands of people in need of housing. The OP would have a better chance of winning the lottery and getting rich, then getting into one of those apartments.

Old 06-03-2021, 10:42 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,048,221 times
OP. Reading the messages above I'd suggest you call the Ashley apartments and see how long their waiting list is. If it is only 20 rent restricted apartments and the list is dozens long, then you pretty much can tell how long your wait will be.

Old 06-03-2021, 10:57 AM

32,484 posts, read 47,425,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirdad View Post
.........income restricted apartments ........

So what I am hearing you say is that you want to move into Oregon, into one of the most expensive towns, and only the most expensive town is good enough for you, and you expect the taxpayers of Oregon to pick up a large chunk of your housing costs.

Am I hearing that correctly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon